1 2 3
wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/9/17 11:57 a.m.

Hope folks are having as much fun working on their challenge cars as we have. Steady progress. Trying something new. Building a car for post Challenge life. I am finding this project to be more enjoyable this year with respect to the work, but the budget strain is a constant burden.

So, how are our fellow competitors doing?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/9/17 12:13 p.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Is it a gasser Corvair?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/9/17 12:14 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to wheels777: Is it a gasser Corvair?

No Sir. But that was discussed.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/9/17 12:19 p.m.

We actually started a couple of weeks ago. That's about 6 months ahead of when we normally start. Hope to bring back the Q45 faster and cheaper.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
2/9/17 12:28 p.m.

I'm pretty much on hold until spring. Most of my stuff won't be done until September/October though.

Come spring, you all still want me to let you know about test n tune at Keystone drag strip?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/9/17 12:33 p.m.

We are chipping away at it. My new thing i am trying (other than fab work) is dedicated race car. No chance of street car, unlike my previous attempts that were daily driver challenge cars that went over budget and never made it.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
2/9/17 1:42 p.m.

Wait, you guys were serious about having another Challenge?

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
2/9/17 1:43 p.m.

too early to start.

actually, have a turn key car ready to go in the event that the build doesn't get done this year, but i'm depressed so i'm having a hard time getting motivated to finish cleaning the garage to build anything right now.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
2/9/17 1:44 p.m.

I can relate to the struggle of building a car intended for a life after the Challenge. I am always asking myself where can I skimp now that I can easily go back and finish properly.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/9/17 1:44 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo:

And i am bringing a sledgehammer amc spirit. It will dominate ALL!!!!!

(of the dnf's).

(Seriously, if we are anywhere above DFL, I'll be happy.)

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
2/9/17 3:04 p.m.

We are slowly chipping away too, even though the build thread is lonely.

I have an update typed up, need to proof and publish.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/9/17 3:19 p.m.

Almost finished installing suspension on s10. Looking for parking lot build car...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/9/17 3:37 p.m.

A post challenge life is the main goal for my Challenge car this year. It'll mean I'm a backmarker, but I've finally reached a point in my life that I don't mind (as long as I finish better than last or second last place ).

I've wanted a V8 S10 for a long time, and I've kind of wanted a lowered pickup since high school, and this project covers both of those things. I am definitely doing some work now that is primarily for post challenge life, rather than having to redo it later. If I was building primarily for the challenge, I'd have a lot more power, and a lot fewer new suspension parts.

Progress is a little slow, but I try to get out to the garage regularly, just to get anything done. With some effort, and a little luck, it'll be ready to drive by the end of March or early April. From there on, it'll be making it prettier, and getting it dialed in at the drag strip and the autocross. Oh, and parting out the donor vehicle...

RevRico
RevRico Dork
2/9/17 3:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In reply to QuasiMofo: And i am bringing a sledgehammer amc spirit. It will dominate ALL!!!!! (of the dnf's). (Seriously, if we are anywhere above DFL, I'll be happy.)

Sounds like my plan. I'm trying to not be DFL, but IF I'm there, I want most spectacular failure.

The difficulty I'm having find wheels, I may run the event on my damn snow tires and put all my money into nitrous and the concourse.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/9/17 4:44 p.m.

Body is still sitting in the same place as two yrs ago.... I hope to pick up the planned drivetrain this weekend... And maybe most of the suspension next weekend driving through Atlanta....

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
2/9/17 4:49 p.m.

I'm thinking about it. I'm good at that.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/9/17 5:39 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: In reply to QuasiMofo: And i am bringing a sledgehammer amc spirit. It will dominate ALL!!!!! (of the dnf's). (Seriously, if we are anywhere above DFL, I'll be happy.)
Sounds like my plan. I'm trying to not be DFL, but IF I'm there, I want most spectacular failure. The difficulty I'm having find wheels, I may run the event on my damn snow tires and put all my money into nitrous and the concourse.

What kind and size wheels are you looking for?

RevRico
RevRico Dork
2/9/17 5:57 p.m.

5x114.3 HIGH offset for the P71, 16 inches n up. If I had a jeep or a 6 bolt truck pattern, I'd be golden here, but I'm having trouble even finding mustang takeoffs.

Honestly, closer to the challenge, I was thinking of posting up here if some florida member or someone making the trip had them and would put tires on them, I'd pay for it when I got there.

Looked at changing the bolt pattern, but adapters are pricey and I don't think they'd take to autocrossing well.

Craigslist around here is just odd. When I was looking for miata wheels, no 4x100 to be found, now they're everywhere dirt cheap. I figure once I quit looking they'll magically appear for less than the $65 each the scrapyard wants.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/9/17 6:32 p.m.

I have a set of ugly (PO painted) 18 inch mustang wheels. I got them for $100 if you want them. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
2/9/17 6:45 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Almost finished installing suspension on s10. Looking for parking lot build car...

Probably because parking lot builds are more fun than regular builds.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/9/17 7:21 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: Almost finished installing suspension on s10. Looking for parking lot build car...

Not necessarily a shared opinion...Depends on what you're doing....and if the help holds onto things...or if you are nearly on fire....just sayin'....

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
2/9/17 7:46 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote:
Not necessarily a shared opinion...Depends on what you're doing....and if the help holds onto things...or if you are nearly on fire....just sayin'....

Agreed. I prefer to wire nitrous systems in the comfort of my garage, without my wife being pissed that i left the kids with her to go wire a nitrous system in the parking lot

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
2/9/17 7:47 p.m.
RevRico wrote: 5x114.3 HIGH offset for the P71, 16 inches n up. If I had a jeep or a 6 bolt truck pattern, I'd be golden here, but I'm having trouble even finding mustang takeoffs. Honestly, closer to the challenge, I was thinking of posting up here if some florida member or someone making the trip had them and would put tires on them, I'd pay for it when I got there. Looked at changing the bolt pattern, but adapters are pricey and I don't think they'd take to autocrossing well. Craigslist around here is just odd. When I was looking for miata wheels, no 4x100 to be found, now they're everywhere dirt cheap. I figure once I quit looking they'll magically appear for less than the $65 each the scrapyard wants.

Andy Neuman probably has a crapton of them

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
2/9/17 7:54 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
RevRico wrote: 5x114.3 HIGH offset for the P71, 16 inches n up. If I had a jeep or a 6 bolt truck pattern, I'd be golden here, but I'm having trouble even finding mustang takeoffs. Honestly, closer to the challenge, I was thinking of posting up here if some florida member or someone making the trip had them and would put tires on them, I'd pay for it when I got there. Looked at changing the bolt pattern, but adapters are pricey and I don't think they'd take to autocrossing well. Craigslist around here is just odd. When I was looking for miata wheels, no 4x100 to be found, now they're everywhere dirt cheap. I figure once I quit looking they'll magically appear for less than the $65 each the scrapyard wants.
Andy Neuman probably has a crapton of them

That would require me to do an inventory of my wheels, something I prefer not to do because it scares me.

I have these and the best offer so far has been $150

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
2/9/17 8:01 p.m.

Rev, look up 17x9.5 +20mm on eBay or Google and you will be amazed at the $100 and less wheels are out there!

4 SHIPPED for $400

Also I added four $75 each 275/40r17s For good measure...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4MUo3c8WoN5DbXnxPXCIjbtb9uTg21eY2pf6ZrpYCAcUo6LTYej1StAW5T7RxqfW