frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/14/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I understand, you do offer an exhibition class and maybe that will be enough motivation to haul from up here in Minnesota down to the bottom of the country (lame attempt at humor)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
8/14/17 10:16 a.m.

Yes, we do offer an exhibition class. Email Rick@grassrootsmotorsports.com for details on that.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
8/14/17 1:03 p.m.

The Riviera I'm planning on taking to the Challenge has power seats- they're very comfortable, plush seats but they're a) wholly inappropriate for racing and b) in bad shape anyway. So, my plan is to strip the driver's seat down to just the power frame and to attach my racing seat to the power frame. Do I need to install additional bracing/structure other than just securing the racing seat to the original frame/tracks?

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
8/15/17 10:54 a.m.

Who and how do I need to get in touch with about canceling this year?

Even if I had the budget room for a transmission replacement, I won't be able to personally afford the drive and hotel stay this year. (Apr is still 20% on the card I have with a high enough limit to cover it, haha nope not paying 20% interest on anything)

Reading the rules, my registration fee passes over to the next challenge. Is that the next calender year or the next I try to come to? Honestly, I'd be fine with GRM keeping it and just paying to register later when I actually can make it down, and I'd be willing to sign something to that affect if it would help with live streaming efforts somehow.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/15/17 11:08 a.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Rick Goolsby by helped me with all things registration related last year. He's quick to return emails.

Rick@grassrootsmotorsports.com

Sorry you're gonna miss this year.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/15/17 11:08 a.m.

Are window nets considered budget exempt for safety?

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/15/17 6:26 p.m.

Is there a statue of limitations on vehicle ownership whereby one could use something already paid (that resides in the stable) for years ago,in a future challenge event?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/15/17 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

I know basically from when I did an aluminum seat in a non rollbar equipped Mustang the techs at all the tracks I visited where concerned with falling backwards. So in short, I'd say as long as it doesn't move/flex with significant effort, you'd be ok.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
8/16/17 10:12 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: Is there a statue of limitations on vehicle ownership whereby one could use something already paid (that resides in the stable) for years ago,in a future challenge event?

FMV. If you don't know its value, the forum can help come up with a number to put in your budget.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/16/17 4:43 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote:
759NRNG wrote: Is there a statue of limitations on vehicle ownership whereby one could use something already paid (that resides in the stable) for years ago,in a future challenge event?
FMV. If you don't know its value, the forum can help come up with a number to put in your budget.

Is this value determined by what peeps are currently asking....or what I paid for it originally?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/17 6:18 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Basically, either.

You could use a 20 year old receipt, or assign today's FMV.

You can't assign an FMV that is 20 years old. That's not fair market value.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/16/17 6:50 p.m.

Well FMV 20years ago woulda been way over challenge $$$$ and today's FMV would probably put me over 2018 challenge $$$$....oh nevermind (RWD '03 aurora mash up)

Tom Suddard
8/23/17 1:17 p.m.

Hey all, just got back from Monterey Car Week and I'll answer your questions now.

I did update the rules to clarify that convertibles running faster than 13.49 E.T. will need a five-point roll bar.

Tom Suddard
8/23/17 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

No.

Tom Suddard
8/23/17 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: No, they are not.

Tom Suddard
8/23/17 1:20 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG: What do you mean? I think this section of the rules may answer your question:

Challenge Rules said: You may not list fair market value instead of purchase price on your budget unless you do not have a receipt from the purchase, or depreciation/appreciation has drastically affected the car or part’s value.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/23/17 1:20 p.m.

Okay. Thanks for letting me know they are not budget exempt before I weld them in.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/23/17 7:51 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Hey all, just got back from Monterey Car Week and I'll answer your questions now. I did update the rules to clarify that convertibles running faster than 13.99 E.T. will need a five-point roll bar.

13.99?

I thought the NHRA rule was 13.49.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/23/17 10:01 p.m.

All CAPS for reasons

CAN I REGISTER MY CHUMPCAR?

Tom Suddard
8/24/17 10:32 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

D'oh! Sorry, typo. It's been fixed to 13.49.

Tom Suddard
8/24/17 10:34 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

As long as it meets all other Challenge rules, including budget restrictions, yes. There is no exemption for ChumpCar entries like there is for cars that have competed in the 24 Hours of Lemons.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
8/29/17 8:12 a.m.

Budget question. My Challenge car came with 4 tires, I bought 2 drag slicks and I came across 4 road race tires in the scrap pile at the track. The slicks go in the budget, and the race tires were free, I think? If I want to use two of the original tires the car came with as front drag tires ,how do I budget this?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/29/17 10:08 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: Bullhorns. Something similar.

Did we ever get a ruling on this? Can we have the exhaust pipe exit the vehicle body through the hood or out in front of the front wheels?

The NHRA language says "to the rear" which is really quite unclear.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
8/29/17 10:20 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Budget question. My Challenge car came with 4 tires, I bought 2 drag slicks and I came across 4 road race tires in the scrap pile at the track. The slicks go in the budget, and the race tires were free, I think? If I want to use two of the original tires the car came with as front drag tires ,how do I budget this?

Interesting question... I would think you would count the tires that came on the car as your 'free' set, the drag slicks are in the budget, and the road race tires (I wish I knew where to look to find free r-comps in the trash ) would be a $0 budget item since you paid nothing for them and (presumably) anyone could have grabbed them from the scrap pile.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/29/17 11:26 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: Budget question. My Challenge car came with 4 tires, I bought 2 drag slicks and I came across 4 road race tires in the scrap pile at the track. The slicks go in the budget, and the race tires were free, I think? If I want to use two of the original tires the car came with as front drag tires ,how do I budget this?
Interesting question... I would think you would count the tires that came on the car as your 'free' set, the drag slicks are in the budget, and the road race tires (I wish I knew where to look to find free r-comps in the trash ) would be a $0 budget item since you paid nothing for them and (presumably) anyone could have grabbed them from the scrap pile.

I disagree.

The "free" tires can be any 4 of your choosing. That probably means the drag slicks (assuming they are most expensive).

The tires that came with the car are already in the budget- they were in your purchase price.

The tires you pulled from the dumpster are no cost to the budget, but ONLY if the dumpster was available to the general public. If you got them because your buddy opened the gate for you, they go in the budget.

It's covered in the first FAQ question in the rules:

$2017 Challenge Rules

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cjVQBm9jIF4WG9eCdw3LbJKkyBvDAxz1pQsFLKKPqmZdBoCKqGSosG2IUMIT9e1E