Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
2/26/18 7:15 p.m.

Can a competitor enter 2 separate cars in the Challenge?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
2/26/18 7:18 p.m.

If I own a set of wheels that is in use on a non-challenge car, then move them to the challenge car, what pricing do I use in the budget? What I paid? FMV since they  are a used item?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/26/18 9:34 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Can a competitor enter 2 separate cars in the Challenge?

Yes Jeremy had 3 last year.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
2/26/18 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

What you paid as long as you have a receipt, or FMV if you don’t. 

Tom Suddard
2/26/18 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yep. Enter as many as you’d like. 

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/28/18 7:58 a.m.

Provided that they meet all the safety and budget requirements, could purpose built race chassis vehicles be legalized for future challenges? For example, could a widely produced Legend car would not be legal with the current rules, but would provide an excellent basis for a Challenge build if one could be found at the right price. 

(As a side note, it's always puzzled me that the magazine and challenge bear the name "Grassroots Motorsports" and yet allows only production vehicles.)

Tom Suddard
2/28/18 8:45 a.m.

No, sorry, I don't think we're going down that road anytime soon. If you put a production body on it, though, you may be allowed to run if we approve it beforehand.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/30/18 10:07 a.m.

I finally have a question 

ebay has been running promos for 10% ebay bucks codes.  So my $55 radiator got me $5.50 in ebay bucks.  Can i use these like a rebate and knock the $5.50 off or use them to purchase a smaller part with them at no budget hit?  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
3/30/18 10:51 a.m.
Patrick said:

I finally have a question 

ebay has been running promos for 10% ebay bucks codes.  So my $55 radiator got me $5.50 in ebay bucks.  Can i use these like a rebate and knock the $5.50 off or use them to purchase a smaller part with them at no budget hit?  

I would think you would count that the same as a rebate on a part, which (IIRC) just makes the part that much cheaper.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
4/11/18 2:20 p.m.

Are stake bed pickups allowable within Challenge/NHRA rules?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
4/11/18 2:35 p.m.

I would think if they were Non- Removeable / could fall off Would Be an Issue so Take them Off before the Race And put them on before Concours   There weight wouldn't be an Issue to me, might be to some but others have added stuff for the Concours that was off for the race .

Tom Suddard
4/11/18 3:08 p.m.

eBay rebate is handled in the current rules:

Q: If I get discounted parts with a rebate, i.e. a promotion allows for a $50 Visa prepaid card for my $250 shocks, how is the rebate factored into the purchase?

A: The rebate is a discount from the net cost. In this example, the budget hit would be $200 for the shocks counting the rebate.

Stake bed pickups are fine. Just bolt the stakes in–no loose hunks of wood just held in by gravity. 

Why? Because when you roll, it'll throw 2x4s into the car next to you, which could be some horrible Georgia Tech creation that has lots of different exposed areas where 2x4s could do a lot of damage.

conev8r
conev8r New Reader
4/12/18 10:19 p.m.

I have a question about exhaust system and interpretation of the rules.

In the FAQ, it states:

Q: Can I run a short exhaust such as bullhorn, open downpipe, or side exit at the front of the vehicle?

A: Exhaust must exit out of body to rear of car. By definition it cannot come out of the front bumper pointing forward, or out of the side of the car without a bend directing exhaust gasses to the rear of the car. You cannot blow exhaust at the driver, or a competitor in the other lane.

Would a short exhaust pipe with a turn-down ending under the body of the car be acceptable? What about a side-exit behind the front wheels, but before the rear wheels (as long as it's not directed straight out the side and has an angle to the rear)?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
4/13/18 6:30 a.m.

A Common sense approach is best here /Not at another car or person, not up ,Away from yourself, not on a tire ,just not where Toxic fumes are in the Cabin, and down is nice. there are specific rules in each kind of event, follow one of them or a commom sense approach.

Exhaust exit under a car is So loud you CANNOT Think

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/13/18 6:36 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Note:  The rules do not say "Out the rear ward of the car". They say "To the rear". 

Pipe does not need to run to rear bumper. It needs to point toward the rear. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
4/13/18 7:19 a.m.

The exhaust on the Rampage at the last Challenge exited to the side under the driver's door, and nobody had any issues with it. The plan for bringing it back this year is for it to exit a bit further aft just in front of the rear tire, which is where Shelby's Charger had it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
4/13/18 12:23 p.m.

Sounds like side-exit is okay, as long as it angled rear-ward a bit and behind the driver. That's how I ran my wagon two years ago, just in front of the rear tire but swept backward a little.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
4/13/18 12:29 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Sounds like side-exit is okay, as long as it angled rear-ward a bit and behind the driver. That's how I ran my wagon two years ago, just in front of the rear tire but swept backward a little.

That's how my Spitfire was last year, and will be this year. Except mine was behind the passenger front tire, and then turned towards the rear a bit. Mine exhaust pipe actually runs through the passenger footwell, I just had to add a firewall over it. 

conev8r
conev8r New Reader
4/13/18 8:46 p.m.

Thank y'all for the insight! I think we'll be OK with what we have planned out, then. Just wanted to be sure. :)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/7/18 12:32 p.m.
the challenge rules found at http://www.grmchallenge.com/rules/ on Monday 07 May 2018 said:

Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans.

and then in the Q&A section, 

the challenge rules found at http://www.grmchallenge.com/rules/ on Monday 07 May 2018 said:

Q: I’m doing a brake swap to incorporate disk brakes, are wear/safety items part of the total budget as well i.e. brake hoses?

A: If the components are the same, as in you replace the hoses with the similar type used on the original drum brakes, that is fine. If you replace it with a $500 custom hose to make it happen, that will affect your budget.

so, using the DATSANITI as an example, replacement of the INFINITI rotors, calipers, pads, and hoses with new OE-quality parts is exempt from the budget?  it seems pretty clear from the two quotes above that the answer is YES, those parts are exempt from the budget.

Asking for a cork-soaking friend.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
5/7/18 3:28 p.m.

Sounds right to me,   But I must ask,  Is this car /Datsaniti/ an Infinity or a datsan?  Asking for an Idiot.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/7/18 6:28 p.m.

its a Datsun with Infiniti ssuspensions swapped in.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
5/7/18 7:02 p.m.

sounds interesting.

Tom Suddard
5/7/18 8:12 p.m.

That’s correct, those parts would be exempt. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/7/18 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks.  I just read this thread from start to finish, and I see why you removed the sticky.  I'll rely on the rules page and the attached Q and A.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ENi2ma7qJWNpNupBgR0YaMM6Ry7NQwn6VUeCvBKenSwnOJ7AurTCGXnSREnVz19X