39 40 41
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/12/18 10:11 p.m.

There is another Mustang not too far from Dallas in really nice shape in non-running condition.  It's a bit over $2k.  It has lots of parts in boxes, intake manifold, fuel pump, distributor, and headers I think.  Can I buy the car for $2k and the parts for the overage on different receipts?  I also have my $500 car from stanger-missle but that is looking more like the ultimate parts car.  I'm currently looking for another chassis.  I'm not finding anything nice for less than $2, but I'm finding quite a few nice SN95s at 2 plus a bit more.  I'm going to call about two of them tomorrow and see if we can make a deal to see an SN95 car get some credit somewhere.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/12/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Yes

coldwatermotorsports
coldwatermotorsports New Reader
11/13/18 6:32 a.m.

RECEIPT FOR DONOR VEHICLE WITH AFTERMARKET PARTS?

I purchased a donor vehicle I plan to use all the driveline and suspension components from in my build.  The vehicle has some modifications and aftermarket parts on it that I plan on using as well as a spare broken trans that came with it I am hoping to repair the current broken trans in the car with. Do the modifications and aftermarket parts need to be spelled out on the vehicle purchase receipt so there is a log as to where they came from?  Example the car has a set of injectors on it, safc, gm maf translator and aftermarket bov,  i'm assuming a fuel pump based on the other parts. This is all I can see at the moment without shredding the car apart.  Also the current trans in the car has a broken output shaft but came with a spare broken trans with a good output shaft I intend to swap.  I have been doing nothing but reading and have the up most of respect for the challenge.  I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and start out documenting everything correctly.  Thanks

Dave

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/13/18 7:02 a.m.

In reply to coldwatermotorsports :

Does it have to be? No? Would it take a few extra minutes and remove any doubt? Yes.

coldwatermotorsports
coldwatermotorsports New Reader
11/13/18 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/19/18 9:17 p.m.

Okay spent some time reading this thread and want to clarify for sure and relate specifically to my $2019 build.

I have a parts car with tons of cool parts I got and towed back from Idaho for $500.  It'd be the challenge car if it weren't for rust and a bent front radiator core support that pulled in the front fenders.  Since I'm looking to build something for the challenge and then keep modifying and racing it long term (as in after challenge 2019AC), I want a clean rust free chassis.  Well I found a complete running rust free car with bad paint almost completely stock for $2000.  This will be the actual car that makes it to the challenge.

So now I sell the parts car down to a zero balance, and all the parts from it are free to me to put on the challenge car, correct?  Let's say I don't like the wheels I have so I can trade parts from the parts car for wheels at zero cost?  

Lastly, I could sell the engine trans and rear out of the challenge car and recoup 1008.50 and use the engine, trans, and rear from the parts car correct?

Or I can take the rear from the parts car install it ( assuming it's sold down to zero balance) and sell the rear end in my challenge car?  I want to do this since the parts car rear has 3.73s, 31 spline axles and a rebuild trac lok diff. 

Once the parts car is sold to zero, I can use the entire interior out of the parts car in the challenge car?  

I need to sell parts down in order to be able to get the 2 performance parts I want and enough plastidip to make the car look good.  Those mid 90s Ford paint jobs sure didn't hold up to age well.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/19/18 9:22 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Total recoup is half the allowed budget, so if you zero out your $500 parts car you can recoup another $508.50 from sources other than the parts car.  

For sure any parts you keep from parts car go onto the Challenge car with no further budget impact.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/19/18 9:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

According to the rules the budget is now $2000 so recoup is $1000.  I, for one, am really bummed because I’m excellent at making use of that last $28.50.  In 2016 i was at $2015.xx with full recoup.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/19/18 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I still tell the story about your dip stick removal. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
11/20/18 11:58 p.m.

Thanks so I can recoup tge $500 from the parts car, $500 from the challenge car and be at $1500.  I can trade any other parts for things I want and still spend $500 and be right on budget....  no matter how you slice it, this project is fully or even over funded.  At least I have 11 months to get it right.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/3/18 8:41 p.m.

Okay so recoup is $1000 total.  Does that include the parts car?  Or is that just on the challenge car, or is it both the parts car and challenge car?  It makes a huge difference because I could sell a lot of things off the challenge car and get it down to 1K or no point, really since I can't get it below $1500 due to the parts car.

I'm trying to plan modifications and how to get the best bang for my buck.  Ideally I could make $1000 work quite well, but $500 becomes a big problem.  The drag racing or autoX will suffer or both.  As for the concourse I'm hoping my humor and luck painting cheaply can carry the day, because she ain't a beauty queen. 

Thanks, Anthony

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/3/18 9:56 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Recoup limits are (1) no more than what you paid for each “thing” you’re selling parts from, and (2) no more than $1000 total.

In your case, you could sell $500 off of your parts car (but not $501 since you only paid $500 for it), and sell $500 off of your $2000 Challenge car.

OR

you could sell $950 off your $2000 Challenge car and $50 off your $500 parts car.

so yeah, that pretty much covers it.  There’s no stated limit to the number of “things” you can recoup from, so if you bought 5 parts cars at $200 each, you could recoup $200 from each one for a total of $1000 recoup.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Reader
12/3/18 11:29 p.m.

Okay got it.  Kind of a bummer because I’m going to be at $1500 once I sell $1000 in parts, but it makes sense.  I’m going to need trading partners. 

39 40 41
Our Preferred Partners
rCPOW6AiwrxxsybmQANOKS7u0YhLdsHS2g7q8pMG6Pqhe4nPCTpRBE4gG2ybKTm0