AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/12/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Yes

coldwatermotorsports
coldwatermotorsports New Reader
11/13/18 6:32 a.m.

RECEIPT FOR DONOR VEHICLE WITH AFTERMARKET PARTS?

I purchased a donor vehicle I plan to use all the driveline and suspension components from in my build.  The vehicle has some modifications and aftermarket parts on it that I plan on using as well as a spare broken trans that came with it I am hoping to repair the current broken trans in the car with. Do the modifications and aftermarket parts need to be spelled out on the vehicle purchase receipt so there is a log as to where they came from?  Example the car has a set of injectors on it, safc, gm maf translator and aftermarket bov,  i'm assuming a fuel pump based on the other parts. This is all I can see at the moment without shredding the car apart.  Also the current trans in the car has a broken output shaft but came with a spare broken trans with a good output shaft I intend to swap.  I have been doing nothing but reading and have the up most of respect for the challenge.  I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and start out documenting everything correctly.  Thanks

Dave

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/13/18 7:02 a.m.

In reply to coldwatermotorsports :

Does it have to be? No? Would it take a few extra minutes and remove any doubt? Yes.

coldwatermotorsports
coldwatermotorsports New Reader
11/13/18 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/19/18 9:22 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Total recoup is half the allowed budget, so if you zero out your $500 parts car you can recoup another $508.50 from sources other than the parts car.  

For sure any parts you keep from parts car go onto the Challenge car with no further budget impact.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/19/18 9:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

According to the rules the budget is now $2000 so recoup is $1000.  I, for one, am really bummed because I’m excellent at making use of that last $28.50.  In 2016 i was at $2015.xx with full recoup.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/19/18 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I still tell the story about your dip stick removal. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/3/18 9:56 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Recoup limits are (1) no more than what you paid for each “thing” you’re selling parts from, and (2) no more than $1000 total.

In your case, you could sell $500 off of your parts car (but not $501 since you only paid $500 for it), and sell $500 off of your $2000 Challenge car.

OR

you could sell $950 off your $2000 Challenge car and $50 off your $500 parts car.

so yeah, that pretty much covers it.  There’s no stated limit to the number of “things” you can recoup from, so if you bought 5 parts cars at $200 each, you could recoup $200 from each one for a total of $1000 recoup.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/8/19 10:09 a.m.

If I buy a set of 4 lowering springs (front and rear) but only use the fronts, do I count the total package price or jsut half (2 out of 4 springs) in the budget?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/8/19 10:21 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

If I buy a set of 4 lowering springs (front and rear) but only use the fronts, do I count the total package price or jsut half (2 out of 4 springs) in the budget?

or less than half because you can justify the value of the unused springs being higher than the value of springs you use.  ;-)

serious answer:  yes, using half of the package price would be the way to go.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/8/19 10:33 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
maschinenbau said:

or less than half because you can justify the value of the unused springs being higher than the value of springs you use.  ;-)

serious answer:  yes, using half of the package price would be the way to go.

Unless you're a great salesman and can sell the remaining two springs for more than half what you originally paid for them...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/9/19 7:21 a.m.

Also should this thread be stickied in the new $2000 Challenge forum section?

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/15/19 12:38 p.m.

Um... "During the concours, there are no minimum clothing requirements."  Seems to leave a lot of room for interpretation.  lol.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
1/15/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

I think the don't be a dick rule might be invoked on that one. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/15/19 12:47 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to darkbuddha :

And also being a family friendly event.  Last thing that needs to happen is a bunch of NOPI girls showing up and pissing off everyone’s wife/making people uncomfortable.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/19 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

John Welsh would be proud. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
1/15/19 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Got it....  hire NOPI girls to serve concourse judges beverages of their choice.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
1/24/19 3:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to darkbuddha :

And here I was brainstorming a theme around bringing a VIP style long wheelsbase Mercedes and a hollowed out a potato:  "The Dictater".

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/24/19 9:52 p.m.

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway.

What we have is a used but supposedly good sbc 400 for our 2020 contender. In the back of the shop we also have a used 350 from the old work truck with about the same mileage on them going by how the main bearings look. The heads on the 400 are not great (882). The heads on the 350 are fairly decent (mismatched because "parts store sourced rebuilt" 487x and 993)

Budget ruling on trading the heads? Straight trade? FMV the better heads? Just trying not to cheat or be a dick.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
1/24/19 10:36 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Spend 100s of hours porting the 882s and take no budget hit?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/25/19 7:09 a.m.

first of all an 882 head on a 400 that is unmodded is fine, no they are not 'Performance' heads. I would change pistons and Cam before worrying about head work.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/25/19 9:47 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

You are probably right. We're gonna have gobbs of torque either way. Tire shredding goodness when combined with the rear gears we'll be using, so I really shouldn't complain. Especially since if I FMV the heads I still need gaskets and bolts and it all adds up. Damn.

Edit* Oh it's getting a cam. Just wish we could be sure what the compression ratio is since this has been rebuilt in the past.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/25/19 4:11 p.m.

Just remember, the 400 cams are all the way down at the bottom of the SBC page

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/25/19 4:15 p.m.

Explain? Honestly trying to learn everything I can here. Plenty familiar with SBCs but I've never done performance mods other than normal bolt-on stuff to one.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/25/19 4:24 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Explain? Honestly trying to learn everything I can here. Plenty familiar with SBCs but I've never done performance mods other than normal bolt-on stuff to one.

That’s me trying to be funny.  Cam catalogs are arranged mild to wild, top to bottom.  So grandma’s Caprice gets a cam from the top of the page, and Andrew Nelson’s Caprice gets a cam from the bottom of the page.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6EjLIfVi5whUDhlNiJRuPekMaXEW82MzUeZpFesdTYvtYuz6Lqg0TzkyZx0jWBws