1 2 3
Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/24/19 5:41 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Furious_E said:

Eh, for that money I think I'd rather have a lightly used Hellcat. 

Even for straight up even money I'll take the widebody SRT/SCAT over the Hellcat.  Sure I'd love the HellBob Costas, but it's not just a matter of depreciation making it affordable.  It will cost a hell of a lot more than an SRT/SCAT to insure, title, plate etc.  Some of these things may not count in all States, but here in Michigan your annual plate is based of the original purchase price of the vehicle new, not it's current value. 

Well, realistically I'm not spending $48k on any car anytime soon, so since it's all theoretical anyways I'm not too concerned about practicality here wink.

But seriously though, just to play devil's advocate for a minute, I wonder how much different the true cost of ownership would be? The one thing you neglect to mention is depreciation, which, I would think, should work heavily in favor of the Hellcat. Tax, title, registration, ect. should all be the same here in PA, so the only difference is maintenance, insurance (I'm actually kind of curious to get a quote now), and the hefty tire bill. Obviously that calculation will depend heavily on length of ownership, but I'd be curious to throw a spreadsheet together some day.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/24/19 5:57 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

No, but it looks cool.

7K cool. Ehhhhh not to me. 

For 50K I could build a 900hp hellcat and put bigger tires on it and still have money left over. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/24/19 6:19 p.m.

I'm much less reasonable with my hypothetical money than my real money.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/19 6:22 p.m.
Furious_E said:

...lightly used Hellcat. 

Hahahahhahhaaha, lightly used.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/24/19 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Adult owned. Never raced. Needs rear tires.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/25/19 4:24 a.m.

If we're spending hypothetical dollars on Chrysler stuff, I'd like one of these with some widebody flares to tuck the 315s:

Image result for 300 demon

Image result for 300 demon

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/25/19 6:20 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
Daylan C said:

No, but it looks cool.

For 50K I could build a 900hp hellcat and put bigger tires on it and still have money left over. 

I hate that argument because for $30k  you could reproduce the wide body Scat pack starting with a used car. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/25/19 7:04 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
wearymicrobe said:
Daylan C said:

No, but it looks cool.

I hate that argument because for $30k  you could reproduce the wide body Scat pack starting with a used car. 

I don't think it makes sense either. Nor do I care about roll racing on dark highways from 80mph. 

I've driven plenty of cars on the street that don't "hook up" until 3rd or 4th. It's fun for a few minutes and then get it's really, really old. 

And if I wanted to drag race, I'd just go buy a used liter bike, air shifter, lower it, swing arm, regear it and run low-mid 9s all day long.......only having to replace the clutch once a season or so.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/25/19 7:20 a.m.

The widebody cars with 305's look "special". They're apart from all of the V6 auto cars being driven around. They're cool. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/25/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I agree, it doesn't make sense.  I just hate the 'Why spend $20K on car X when for $15K you can by 20 year old cay Y and A, B, C, D, E and F mods to it and have a far better car' argument that was being made.  I was being silly

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/25/19 8:40 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I agree, it doesn't make sense.  I just hate the 'Why spend $20K on car X when for $15K you can by 20 year old cay Y and A, B, C, D, E and F mods to it and have a far better car' argument that was being made.  I was being silly

I was agreeing with you. smiley

Enthusiasts not buying new cars is precisely why companies don't build nearly as many as they used to.

mazduece - Seth, I agree. They just look wicked. I can see them looking even MORE menacing by closing the wheel gap a bit and fitting even WIDER wheels and tires on it.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
4/25/19 8:56 a.m.

What a time to be alive in the car world!  At some point I'll own one of these, even if it's for a few years before I move onto the next thing.  

When I'm 90+ in the nursing home I want a wall size photo of me & the car doing a massive burnout.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/25/19 9:11 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Just for fun I went to "Build and Price" a 2019 Challenger RT and noticed you can get the "Widebody" package without purchasing a Hellcat model. It comes  with:

20-Inch x 11-Inch Devil's Rim Forged Aluminum Whls

305/35ZR20 All-Season Performance Tires

Adaptive Damping Suspension

ABS - Brembo 6-Piston Front Brakes

Performance Shift Indicator

Widebody Competition Suspension

Widebody Fender Flares

That is a very interesting proposition.

What the heck is a Performance Shift Indicator?  I'm picturing one of these, except with more performance.  smiley

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
4/25/19 9:16 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
z31maniac said:

Just for fun I went to "Build and Price" a 2019 Challenger RT and noticed you can get the "Widebody" package without purchasing a Hellcat model. It comes  with:

20-Inch x 11-Inch Devil's Rim Forged Aluminum Whls

305/35ZR20 All-Season Performance Tires

Adaptive Damping Suspension

ABS - Brembo 6-Piston Front Brakes

Performance Shift Indicator

Widebody Competition Suspension

Widebody Fender Flares

That is a very interesting proposition.

What the heck is a Performance Shift Indicator?  I'm picturing one of these, except with more performance.  smiley

it's probably a shift light for the flappy-paddle gear box so that you know when to allow it to upshift.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/25/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

It's a programmable shift light that's built into the digital gauge cluster. So if you want to shift at a different rpm in each gear, you can customize the shift light for that.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/25/19 9:49 a.m.

Just don't order the erroneously named "Lightweight Package" on your Hellcat Redeye

https://jalopnik.com/im-pretty-sure-the-2019-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-re-1832266979

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/25/19 10:18 a.m.
NickD said:

Just don't order the erroneously named "Lightweight Package" on your Hellcat Redeye

https://jalopnik.com/im-pretty-sure-the-2019-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-re-1832266979

Ordering a "Lightweight Package" on a 4400lb car seems silly anyway.

That's what my '11 Frontier Pro-4X with the "luxury" package weighed.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/25/19 11:50 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Well that certainly is silly. At least they don't charge you extra to not include the floor mats ala Porsche.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
4/25/19 12:47 p.m.

When they first started this throwback Scat Pac stuff in the early 2000’s I thought it was just plain dumb.  Remember the trucks with the bumble bee stripes?  I’ve gotta say though, FC has upped their game.  This stuff now is giving the original Rapid Transit System a run for it in terms of wow and coolness. 

Still cant understand why they don’t put some stacks on a red Hemi Rebel Ram though.  Every Genx guy out there remembers the LRE.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
4/25/19 12:52 p.m.
z31maniac said:
NickD said:

Wrong.  Nowhere does it say the “lightweight” package is in reference to the car.  It is, in fact, in reference to your wallet.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/25/19 1:55 p.m.

One of the most curious options on the Scat Pack Widebody was the $1 rear seat delete option. Yes, for $1, they will remove the rear seats and replace it with an "extend cab"-like cargo net and a big piece of plastic with  the new Dodge logo and a picture of a Challenger doing a burnout embossed into a trim piece at the bottom.

My favorite part is that they left in the visor sticker that tells you that the "rear seat is the best place for children", making the $1 rear seat delete the de facto option for deleting children from the Challenger as well. laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/25/19 3:18 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
z31maniac said:
NickD said:

Wrong.  Nowhere does it say the “lightweight” package is in reference to the car.  It is, in fact, in reference to your wallet.

I'm not sure what you're saying wrong to.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
4/25/19 5:43 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Eh, for that money I think I'd rather have a lightly used Hellcat

I'm sorry, you think there will be "lightly" used Hellcats?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/25/19 6:36 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:
Furious_E said:

Compared to what it’s going to see when i get my hands on it, yes there are lightly used hellcats

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/25/19 8:11 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:
Furious_E said:

There are plenty of garage queen Hellcats out there.  I can’t wait to get my hands on one of them!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XU8sahlm0kCuIfzP9vdOlFmmqyRQ2NVI8UiN3ABGU1y3drNXByyIHu3Yx7qnvJDX