1 2
Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/2/17 3:19 p.m.
geoffl wrote: Mine will kill a battery if not run for 2 or 3 weeks. Someone else mentioned the valve spring issues especially on 2002-2003 cars. Other than tires, brakes, and batteries mine hasn't cost anything in maintenance but the mileage is only at 34K now.

Interesting. I've honestly never had that issue, even parked in winter outside without a maintainer.

Some 01s have piston ring issues causing oil consumption, that plus the lower power (and no HUD) are a big reason that they're less expensive. I would still like a white one, personally.

Valve springs are primarily an 03-04 issue. I personally haven't heard much in the way of issues with 04s.

Can tell you from experience that getting parts for an 04 Z16 can be difficult. Things like center caps and stripes can be hard to track down. I'd hate to see what would happen if the CF hood was broken.

turtl631 wrote: Is the C5 the last car that was sold with popups?

Yes, and they're still the coolest thing ever.

My best friend spent a few months shopping for a C5Z. Ended up finding a regular 03 Coupe with 75k for about $14k. We looked nationwide and found that, on average, Florida, Detroit, and LA had by far the best value per dollar.

There are a ton of low-mileage cars sitting around that older guys think are worth a mint. This article sums things up perfectly.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/3/17 12:39 p.m.

Here's a nice looking 2004 - Z06 for $10,900

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/3/17 11:26 p.m.

Why is the hood missing the stripes? FWIW, those are very difficult to get nowadays. Also the outlines of stripes of some sort under the decklid?

For $10k, I'd drive it.

maj75
maj75 Reader
4/4/17 7:03 a.m.

My son purchased an '01 Z06 with less than 100,000 miles and an '03 Z06 replacement motor. It had some undisclosed damage to the front frame crossmember and some minor visible damage to the bumper cover and front of the hood. Neither were serious enough to tip us off to the extent of the real damage. Paid $14k. Fixed the crossmember for less than $1000. Track car so cosmetics were not important.

OTOH, I purchased a '99 FRC for $12k. It had a lot of work done to the motor including a complete exhaust/headers. Z06 intake manifold and injectors. 110k miles and made 390hp at the rear wheels. It did blow the motor at Sebring but a new short block and it now makes 440/460 hp/tq.

Best bang for the buck track car out there. Relatively cheap consumables. Fast enough that you won't get bored as your skill improves. Faster than you are

jv8
jv8 Reader
4/4/17 9:45 a.m.
maj75 wrote: My son purchased an '01 Z06 with less than 100,000 miles and an '03 Z06 replacement motor. It had some undisclosed damage to the front frame crossmember and some minor visible damage to the bumper cover and front of the hood. Neither were serious enough to tip us off to the extent of the real damage. Paid $14k. Fixed the crossmember for less than $1000. Track car so cosmetics were not important. OTOH, I purchased a '99 FRC for $12k. It had a lot of work done to the motor including a complete exhaust/headers. Z06 intake manifold and injectors. 110k miles and made 390hp at the rear wheels. It did blow the motor at Sebring but a new short block and it now makes 440/460 hp/tq. Best bang for the buck track car out there. Relatively cheap consumables. Fast enough that you won't get bored as your skill improves. Faster than you are

I completely agree. I picked up an 02 Z06 w/ 65K for $17K. The only expensive part of the refresh has been tires.

Some C6 parts bolt on... 14" C6Z rotors are only $50. C6Z shocks are $50. The rest of the refresh (links, etc) has been nickel and dime stuff.

I did have to replace a CV boot and I was tempted by a complete halfshaft from Rock Auto for $50 - don't do this! The aftermarket halfshafts have a big soft boot that balloons at speed and shreds itself on the shock mount. The OEM boots are narrow and stiff to avoid this.

I don't view the C5Z as an investment... and like the article says I'm sure the market will collapse in 10 years as the "car" generation passes down unwanted vehicles to the "tech" generation... but a lot of fun can be had in 10 years! Also I think that same market collapse will hit lots of other collector cars.

Some other C5 notes/issues that hit me:

1) Check the seal between the trans and diff. It dries out over time and leaks oil. Cheap fix but you have to pull the rear subframe and trans/diff.

2) Check reverse on a cold day. There is plastic on the reverse shift fork fingers that wears over time and doesn't push the reverse gear all the way in. Another cheap fix but you have to pull the trans to shim the fork position. The reverse pop-out didn't happen on my warm test drive.

3) Fill up the car on your test drive so the top fuel filler cross tube that bridges the two tanks is filled with fuel. Mine had a leak that would fill the garage with fumes after a fill-up. Another cheap fix that is hard to get to since the bridge tube is above the transmission.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sdHgI7Nb63P13gaQw018MRuYZA5Zs0F3DyMmSrEiQniMQPmuoZE6UaRzur0asQr0