SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
12/26/11 10:09 a.m.

My girlfriend DD's a 1992 Jetta 8v, and it had a leak in the exhaust when we got it, I've band-aided it a few times already, yadda yadda yadda, OK it finally really needs a new one. Everything from the cat back should pretty much be replaced. I got a quote from a local shop for $450 installed - WHOA - no thanks buddy! Techtonics has a system that will hook up for $230 but it will probably be pretty loud - this is my girlfriend's car, not mine. I figure if necessary I will go that route and put it on myself, but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper or OE-style out there. The 90-92 TT system is $230, which I could probably beat by a wide margin if I felt like dealing with endless exhaust clamps and lying on my back underneath the car with a welder - which I don't. What would you guys suggest?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/26/11 10:30 a.m.

Go try a few different shops. You can get a custom, mandrel bent exhaust built around here for about $225-250 + muffler.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
12/26/11 10:39 a.m.

Techtonics systems are not loud at all. I think the jetta system has a 12" resonator and a big ol' round can dynomax. They sound nice and deep but quiet at idle and only get loud when you really lay into them. No hint of rasp. I bought an A3 jetta that was factory quiet and was shocked when I got under there and saw a TT system.

Also Techtonics exhausts fit like nothing else. They have been making VW systems for so long that they have it perfected. Installing one is a less than an hour job.

I cannot reccomend TT exhausts enough.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/26/11 10:48 a.m.

I'll second the TT exhaust. They fit really well and aren't annoying sounding, and they're pretty reasonably priced.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
12/26/11 1:06 p.m.

Normal muffler shops dont have the equipment to bend a system that won't rub and rattle and make more noise than the Tectonics system ever will. There really is no other good option.

deveous9
deveous9 Reader
12/26/11 6:40 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Go try a few different shops. You can get a custom, mandrel bent exhaust built around here for about $225-250 + muffler.

This would be a much better option and even if you delete the resonator, you will still have a nice sounding exhaust tone!

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
12/26/11 9:41 p.m.

I'll say it again in case you aren't listening. TECHTONICS! Cheap, not loud at all, and they just fit. No hassles.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
12/26/11 9:57 p.m.

We plunked down $230 on the Techtonics system tonight. Even the cheapest shop in town wanted $190, and we were willing to spend the extra $40 for a known excellent product. Can't wait to get it!

wclark
wclark New Reader
12/27/11 6:46 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

I have run Techtonics from the head to the rear bumper since 2002 on my racer. Over the years I have been required to have a cat then not, use the stock manifold then not and required a muffler and not, and in every case the TT products have fit extremely well, been reasonably priced and have held up. The cat back including the pipes and resonator are pert of the original purchase and still going strong. Based on rules and engine swaps I have variously used and removed the TT 55mm cat, TT 8V and 16V race downpipes and TT 8V race header, removed the muffler for Mt Washington and reinstalled it for the rest of the NEHA events. I now have a TT 16V race header and louder (less restrictive) Dynaflow muffler, but still use the original TT pipes and resonator.

Last year the muffler (Dynaflow) had to be replaced when an internal baffle came loose, otherwise all the bits are still the first ones I bought.

vw_jason79
vw_jason79 New Reader
12/27/11 11:48 a.m.

Techtonics just like everyone else has said. Great fit, great sound, great price. I always put TT bits on/in my cars. They have been doing this since the early 90's(late 80's?). They know what they are doing.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
12/27/11 12:00 p.m.

I've had TT systems on 2/3 MKII GTIs I have owned. One with single resonator and one with dual. Both of which were very moderate on sound and fit extremely well.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/27/11 5:00 p.m.

I'll be a slight nay-sayer on the Techtonics. They fit fine. They aren't loud. But they also aren't anything special. I don't think it does anything better than the stock system, but for the price, it's hard to beat.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
12/27/11 5:17 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I'll be a slight nay-sayer on the Techtonics. They fit fine. They aren't loud. But they also aren't anything special. I don't think it does anything better than the stock system, but for the price, it's hard to beat.

I agree, but its also the only thing that will compare with a new stock system that i know of.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
12/27/11 8:51 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: I'll be a slight nay-sayer on the Techtonics. They fit fine. They aren't loud. But they also aren't anything special. I don't think it does anything better than the stock system, but for the price, it's hard to beat.

For many, many years TT was the only aftermarket VW parts manufacturer with their own on-site dyno. They were one of the only companies you could trust when it came to actual performance numbers your dollars were buying. I totally believe the claims they make for their exhausts.

Since they are only an hour up the road from me and I had one of the first new for 2006 2.5 liter rabbits off the lot they wanted to use my car to design their new system for it. They walked me through what they would do, how long it would take them and what the finished system would be like as the prototype. They dyno a lot during the process according to Jeff.

I didn't end up having them do it because they wanted the car for almost a month, and they still wanted to charge me for the work.

vw_jason79
vw_jason79 New Reader
12/27/11 9:09 p.m.

Yeah, I wouldn't let them use my car for a month and not get something in return, like a free exhaust.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5qMUXDjnOeu6I4nPXWz5cClCGJWlTrp53giEzqaxGHJUIQuU2S5vffSvwCpx43Jy