SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/16/11 9:04 p.m.

Where can I look for a good buy on an LS? LS2 would be nice, but price matters.

ss
ss New Reader
10/16/11 9:18 p.m.

Look at older ls1's. HotRod mag did some good articles over the years. Think iron truck blocks

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/16/11 9:19 p.m.

CL, local forums, LS1tech.com, here. Just sold a 100k mile Vortec 5300 with harness and ECU for $350 on a local forum.

Best way is to buy a wrecked/cheap vehicle and part it out.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
10/16/11 10:34 p.m.
ss wrote: Look at older ls1's. HotRod mag did some good articles over the years. Think iron truck blocks

the LS1 was all aluminum, 5.7 liters, 340hp and only came in Corvettes, Z28's, Trans Ams, and GTO's.. your not going to find a cheap one that doesn't have an extra ventilation hole in the side from a rod letting loose.

the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 truck engines are where the cheapness comes in..

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/16/11 10:39 p.m.

I've been waiting for an L33 to show up in the local self serve junkyard. Truck engines do seem like the way to go.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/11 10:52 p.m.

copart.com Buy a wrecked camaro, pull engine and tranny then sell everything else. That is going to be the cheapest route to an LS1. If you want a truck motor look on car-part.com.

I just passed up a 1998 z-28 with 120k, new tires, decent wheels and interior for 1800.00 that had been hit in the side. I could have sold $800 worth of parts easy and then scrapped the shell, and ended up with an LS1 tranny and accessorys etc for around $800. If it was a 6-speed car it would be sitting behind my house as we speak, but I am holding out....

mw
mw HalfDork
10/17/11 4:28 a.m.

Canoe

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/17/11 4:33 a.m.

canoe

may an ex-con beat you about your head and body w/ a metal rod like you were a counter jumping woman in a Manhattan McDonalds

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/17/11 5:50 a.m.
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/17/11 6:26 a.m.

Do you know what oil pan sump location you need?

Do you know what accessory drive or water pump outlet location you need?

Can you handle the high rise manifold of the trucks or do you need a short setup from the cars?

Basically-where is your crossmember, what will interfere with your engine up front, and how low is your hood?

Truck motors are much cheaper but often require a different water pump, almost always require a different oil pan, and usually require a different intake manifold and accessory drive. You add several hundred dollars to your build collecting all of those parts.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
10/17/11 6:44 a.m.

Don't forget about the Atlas-series inline engines. The 4200 makes nearly 300hp stock, as beautifully designed heads, and takes to cams or forced induction beautifully.

Also, they're aluminium, and cheaaaaaap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qXgMPJmNNDkGPzOrkxb8tTDxNNORml4kDbgcArOCJjZVLJH4JBvJGIm8PNhlglqI