1 2 3
BlakeYoung17
BlakeYoung17
6/9/16 11:43 p.m.

Have a 94 Integra at the moment, I love it but its not the greatest car for Arizona due to the lack of power and the amount of straight freeways and roads here. I would like to get something with a V8 and it has to be manual. Been looking at Fox Body Stangs and F Body Camaro. Is there any cars I should be looking at for under $6,000 that I might be missing?

Thanks

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
6/9/16 11:47 p.m.

If all you want is a V8 and manual, look at old half ton trucks.

BlakeYoung17
BlakeYoung17 New Reader
6/9/16 11:57 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Was thinking of a car instead but it is definitely not an option I am ruling out.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/10/16 12:09 a.m.

Buy my Javelin and have $1000 left over to swap a T10 4-speed into it?

BlakeYoung17
BlakeYoung17 New Reader
6/10/16 1:12 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Not a bad idea! Just not really into the look of the javelin though they are cheap.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/10/16 5:22 a.m.

1975-1979 Nova/Apollo/Omega/Ventura. Really cheap, lightweight, inoffensive styling, a lot of good chassis support and capable of swallowing a wide variey of engines

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/10/16 5:46 a.m.

This is going to be interesting.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/10/16 7:12 a.m.

I like the idea of a pickup as well.

I've always wanted to take a SWB Chevy/GMC, slam it to the ground with huge sticky rubber, big rumbly V8, etc.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/10/16 7:26 a.m.

If you want four doors: 2003 and newer Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Then swap in the Manual Tranny from the newer Mustang. Well documented swap.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/10/16 7:30 a.m.

For long highways, you want some power and speed, but the gas mileage of an old V8 may kill ya. I had a Dodge Intrepid R/T back in the day and it was ideal for long hauls at high speeds. FWD and an automatic, sure, but one you are up to speed in AZ you aren't shifting or cornering anyway. Gas mileage wasn't great, but you could average 18-20 instead of 12-14 mpg. It was also very slippery aerodynamically speaking, so no annoying wind noise or drag, and it had big comfy seats that you could easily log a few hours in and still feel fresh. Should be in you price range.

You should check out the SXT and R/T Intrepid, the Supercharged Buick Regal, a Taurus SHO (available with a V8), and a Nissan Altima SE-R...all great highway cruisers.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
6/10/16 7:51 a.m.

Look at some of the other fox platform cars. Same aftermarket and less mustang tax.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/10/16 7:52 a.m.

If you're looking at Fox bodies, also look at the variants like the T-Bird of the same era. They're automatics but easily swappable and clean ones are cheaper than clean Mustangs. The extra bigness would make for a nicer highway car.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/10/16 8:03 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: You should check out the SXT and R/T Intrepid, the Supercharged Buick Regal, a Taurus SHO (available with a V8), and a Nissan Altima SE-R...all great highway cruisers.

The earlier SHOs were better than the uglier, auto-only V8 cars. But I highly recommend anything with the supercharged 3800, not just the Regal GS. That includes the Grand Prix GTP, Riviera, Bonneville SSEi, Oldsmobile 88 LSS and Park Avenue Ultra. Very cheap, a pretty robust engine, plenty of aftermarket support. Only downside is that the auto trans tends to be kinda wimpy in stock trim.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
6/10/16 8:11 a.m.

Oh if we're left fielding the guy with big v6 front drivers, I'm going to say look at v6 Accords and TLs.

Jarod
Jarod Reader
6/10/16 8:17 a.m.

Maxima too. V6 and manual available.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/10/16 8:21 a.m.

Lot's of pony cars Ford, Chubroleti or Pointy-ack. After that the only others that spring to mind without swaps are:
E39 540i
W8 Passat
C4 Corvette

Trucks are for towing race cars or people who want to marry their sister.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
6/10/16 8:24 a.m.

Option 11

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
6/10/16 9:19 a.m.

6k should get you a nice LS1/t56 4th gen F body.

if daily duty i'd go that route. if toy and keeping 4 banger for daily, all bets are off.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
6/10/16 9:28 a.m.

$6k can get you a lot of fox body.

I'd let mine go for that.

But you should also look at the SN95 cobra, the 4th gen Fbody and the C4 if you can deal with just 2 seats

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
6/10/16 9:34 a.m.

If I were looking for a manual pony car with that budget I would set my sights on an SN95 Mustang, specifically the much maligned '96-'98. They have the same amount of horsepower as the pushrod 5.0 but the engine is much less prone to leaking things. In my opinion, stock vs stock, the 2 valve 4.6 is more durable and more efficient than the earlier pushrod 5.0. Also the brakes and suspension of the SN95 are much improved over the earlier cars. The T45 and TR3650 are rated for more torque than the engine puts out, unlike the non World Class T5 they put behind the 5.0.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/10/16 7:02 p.m.

Everybody forgets about the featherweight Vega/Monzas. $2-3K will get you a great example.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
6/10/16 7:40 p.m.

I was going to suggest a maverick, if it is for a second car. I wouldn't want to depend on it as a daily.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/10/16 7:48 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: Everybody forgets about the featherweight Vega/Monzas. $2-3K will get you a great example.

Have you ever worked on a V6/8 H body? There aren't many 70s American cars with a more cramped engine bay.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
6/10/16 7:49 p.m.

Infiniti M45?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
6/10/16 8:07 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

yes I have. It still has more space than a 4th gen f body.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XXAzyjaEtJb0BirrT5GJ8edhONY24LzRbP3krSCf2dHHeyfpC9kkD6mALIPJ3oOx