1 2 3
spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/21/19 7:52 p.m.

Friend of mine told me she'd want a small convertible that isn't a Miata or MR2. 

Something she could autocross or drive through the texas hill country... 

I'd knock a TT and Z3/4 off the list for maintenance concerns.. she's not keen on turning wrenches... 

Lets set a budget at $10k

Why am I drawing blanks?... is there literally nothing beyond the S2000 (that I haven't mentioned already)? 

S2000's are starting to creep under the $10k mark for AP1's that are decently nice... 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/21/19 7:54 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

The most badass built Capri XR2 on the planet?

Oh, and there’s always a Boxter. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS HalfDork
3/21/19 7:56 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Boxster and it’s mid engine.  Heck it’s a basement price exotic.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/21/19 8:11 p.m.

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky? Probably not going to win nationals with one, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun. 

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/21/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

maybe i should have just said anything German..

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/21/19 8:14 p.m.
STM317 said:

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky? Probably not going to win nationals with one, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun. 

i'd be concerned about reliability.. but not a terrible plan on the surface.. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/21/19 8:46 p.m.

Does it need to be competitive?

350z convertible?

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/21/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

oil temps are a major concern on any of the VQ cars in autocross .. at least on the 370.. maybe not the 350

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/21/19 9:09 p.m.

Sebring, it's name suggest racing dominance. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/21/19 9:16 p.m.

3rd gen F body.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/21/19 9:28 p.m.

There's always the Rogue, but that's far from being capable at ..... anything.

RX7? Reliability would probably be a concern.

Camaro/Firechicken?

E36 m3 verts are cheap.  Sure, it's German.

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
3/21/19 9:32 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Sebring, it's name suggest racing dominance. 

i LoL'd thanks for that.. 

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
3/21/19 9:33 p.m.

Maybe not small or competitive but that opens you to the Solara, Volvo, etc. 

Bypassing the German gives you the VW Eos and MB SLK which can be had with a stick if you look hard.

Bypassing autocross for off road gives you the Wrangler laugh

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/21/19 10:01 p.m.

I'd go with a Sky for this scenario. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
3/21/19 10:13 p.m.

A little long in the tooth, but E30 drips of capability and a very nice example can be found for far less than 10k.

I bought an 87 E30 cabrio with flawless body, a new top, and all the autox goodies already on it; H&K sport springs Momo wheels, Bilsteins, adjustable bushings, and just over 100k for $5500.  I drove it until it had 146k and sold it back to the same guy for $5500.  Not kidding.  I'm no racer, but I found it to be super sticky, super easy to push to the limit without dying, and crazy fun.  I found it to be remarkably reliable.  I had to replace the ECM for $50, and it needed a new trunk light yahooty switch for $6, but other than maintenance I never had a lick of trouble.  Drove it cross-country twice.

They're hard to find, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  200% streetable, frighteningly quick in the chicanes, well balanced... Dammit.... now I have to go to CL and see what I turn up.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
3/21/19 10:18 p.m.

99 or earlier boxster

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
3/21/19 10:41 p.m.

Mustang? Del sol vtec? 240sx vert? Wouldn't be competitive, but sc430? Might take some digging, but c5 vettes may be down there now.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/21/19 10:56 p.m.

Uh, duh, a Boxster!!!

I paid $7K for my 00 S and a set of Koni's and RE71R's later I'm fighting for TTORG. They're easy to work on, parts have gotten affordable, and it's so much nicer to love with in between races.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
3/22/19 6:25 a.m.

Is she seriously going to be autocrossing the thing, or she might autocross it once or twice?  Has she done this before?  Is she a serious autocrosser with spare wheels and sticky tires.  The answers to these questions will go a long way towards determining the car.  If its a maybe, or a once in a while thing, then just focus on something cool and comfortable to cruise around it.  Pick up a $4K Z3,  Audi TT, or a Saab 9-3 convertible.    If it breaks, sell it and go get another one.  If she tires of it, sell it and go get something different.  At that price point you your not tied down to any decision you make.  She is probably going to be more concerned about what color its painted than its performance level.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/22/19 6:46 a.m.

You can autocross anything if you're willing to be uncompetitive enough.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/22/19 6:53 a.m.
TheRX7Project said:

You can autocross anything if you're willing to be uncompetitive enough.

Amen. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/22/19 7:10 a.m.
spacecadet said:
STM317 said:

If the reliability of a Solstice/Sky concerns you, then you'll pretty much have to not recommend she buy a car.  The only things out there more reliable would be... the MR2 and Miata...  

Why not either of those?

With all due respect to Curtis, a relatively stock E30 is a great street car, but an absolutely horrible and frustrating autocross car.  Mainly due to the steering and "fixing" that puts it into classes where it won't be competitive and remain a tolerable street car.  Beyond that, the E30 is basically a classic car now.  A really nice one I wouldn't want to use as more than a weekend toy.  And you'll spend every bit of the $10K budget to buy a decent one - or more making a neglected one "decent".

Dave M
Dave M Reader
3/22/19 7:13 a.m.
spacecadet said:
STM317 said:

I have a 2007 N/A and it's very reliable outside of typical GM interior and trim problems. I will say that the trunk is terrible and it's slow as E36 M3, but it's a lot of fun nonetheless. 

The GXP / Redline is fast but gets classified with the serious sports cars so is also uncompetitive. They are a bit less reliable but even more fun.

The biggest selling point is that the cars are beautiful.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/22/19 7:18 a.m.

I wonder why Chrysler Crossfire is not a the top of your list? devil  Its not like it is as bad as a Maserati BiTurbo

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/22/19 7:22 a.m.

Is old an Japanese an option? RX7? 240SX? Celica? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bFkVw90FxaYcOMCNpW1ruRNcpKNtn2RtCOkcqE7JIIbc2nGOldsLznyqZm6RVJPX