hamburglar New Reader
2/10/10 11:23 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

+LSx ?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/10/10 11:30 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Ready for an engine swap - $3,000 308 gt/4 fleabay

I almost posted that up as a almost 2010 challenger. The interior and the gauge setup would almost cover 2K in payback.

Biggest bang for your buck will be the Z06, but Gen II vipers are cheap, like 25K cheap with major motor mods.

If I had the space I would do a 348 in a heartbeat. I know they get a bad wrap but I like them. Beyond that I would love a 400i or a 250gt with a V8 swap. There was a 250GT on fleabay with a good swap at 35K week back that I was tempted on.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
2/10/10 11:36 p.m.

DeTomaso Pantera?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
2/10/10 11:47 p.m.
Josh wrote:
irish44j wrote: a $10k Evo VIII pretty much destroys most of those cars in most performance categories......is it a supercar?
Where? I've barely seen any for double that price.

Not around Chicagoland, cause I was thinking the same thing.

A Viper is cool, until you realize the price on a new, unpainted hood clam shell is $16,000. Zoinks!

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
2/11/10 12:03 a.m.

You can pick up a turbo 944 for less than 10k these days. How much you spend maintaining it is another matter.

But +1 on the deal of the decade C5 Corvette!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:05 a.m.
Josh wrote: I've never thought a Mondial looked like a real Ferrari. Maybe it's the cheapo black bumpers. That whole combo is just wrong aesthetically, which is tough for a Ferrari. I'd much rather do this for 4 grand less: 348ts Maybe a bit over the top, but no mistaking it for anything but a Ferrari. I always thought these were the best (albeit last) of the more outrageous, angular, louvered Ferraris. I know the 355 was a better car, but it's pretty boring to look at in comparison.

I'm not necessarily proud of this... but some young punk in one of these wouldn't leave me alone this summer. Must have felt big and bad driving Daddy's toy.

Kept on pulling the ricer pace and rev, shoot forward, slow down, etc etc etc.

Guess he didn't hear the turbo (MX6) over the noise of the Ferrari.

I felt almost as cool as Paul Walker when the tire smoke settled.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
2/11/10 11:17 a.m.

Not around Chicagoland, cause I was thinking the same thing.

A Viper is cool, until you realize the price on a new, unpainted hood clam shell is $16,000. Zoinks!

Just like the elise, the clam gets hit you total the car. I cannot believe that someone out there with glass experience has not made a mold of this yet, they could make a killing.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/11/10 11:18 a.m.

I get on here, and my definition of supercar starts getting muddled.

Monaro-GTO? Mk III Supra? (and back to the article) 300ZX? No, no, and no.

A supercar is something that the Joneses can't keep up with, at least not a car they think they could. An NSX fits the bill - it might be the same price as a new Camry, but "normals" don't think they could ever have a car like that. Even a Mk IV Supra turns the heads of non-car people, if only for the fact that you don't see many in the real world. Put a new GTO in your driveway, and Mr Jones will go get a new Camaro. Put a cleanish $20k Ferrari in the driveway (even though performance-wise it's bested by that GTO in every category), and Mr Jones has to comfort his feelings of inadequacy with something that's not automotive, as he "knows" he's not gonna be able to beat that.

I don't even think that Porsches can qualify as supercars these days (other than the Carrera GT) just because they are so common. Average Joe can't tell the difference between a base 911 and a 911 GT3 RS.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:18 a.m.

That said, the correct answer is:

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/11/10 11:21 a.m.

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on something mid-engine.

Need to deal with the AllTrac first, though.

Anyone know someplace I can get an AllTrac 3S-FE?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:26 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on something mid-engine. Need to deal with the AllTrac first, though. Anyone know someplace I can get an AllTrac 3S-FE?

What's the difference between that motor and a regular 3sfe? Cast ribs on the block to clear the transfer case?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/11/10 11:52 a.m.

I agree with Rev. Dexter. Few of the cars suggested here are really "supercars". The Ferraris... NSX... Lotus... Pantera... maybe even the Viper... those fit the bill... Any C5? Performance-wise, sure... but they are way too common to be supercars. A P-car is sort of in the middle and I think it would depend on where you live. If I parked a 911 in my blue-collar neighborhood driveway, it would look like a supercar (even compared ot the C6 a few streets down), no matter how little I paid for it.

The only BMWs that qualify are the 8-series and the M1. All of the 3 and 5 M cars are still too common.

mr2peak
mr2peak New Reader
2/11/10 11:55 a.m.

If you're gonna swap engines on an AllTrac, get a 3sgte. That said, MR2oc is a good place to find engines and engine importers.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/11/10 11:58 a.m.
mr2peak wrote: If you're gonna swap engines on an AllTrac, get a 3sgte. That said, MR2oc is a good place to find engines and engine importers.

Have you seen the tranny and transfer case on a Camry AllTrac?

kreb
kreb Dork
2/11/10 12:55 p.m.

If you define supercar acording to rarity and performace, I'd put a good sevenesque in there as well.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
2/11/10 12:57 p.m.
Ian F wrote: The only BMWs that qualify are the 8-series and the M1. All of the 3 and 5 M cars are still too common.

Forget something?

God I want one. Not anywhere near supercar-on-a-budget priced yet.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/11/10 1:08 p.m.

I define supercar as combination of cachet, stock performance, and potential.

c5 is getting low on cachet but performance and potential per dollar is hard to beat, and i would say a c5 zo6 is still a respected 'super-performer' 10 years later.

The NSX definitely counts because it is still high on cachet due to rarity and visual appearance. It is still also a strong performer and the platform is ready for more power, so it has lots of potential.

Older viper's definitely qualify. They're still rarer and more outlandish than c5s, while also performing as well or better in the right hands. Everybody has seen vipers running 8s on the stock trans and putting down 1300 hp so the potential there is obvious. The biggest problem with vipers is driver restraint, honestly.

I would say the e36 m3's slide in by a hair, but they are low on cachet these days.

Id say the last turbo mr-2's are a car that easily could be MADE to be 'super', and they have cachet among those who know what they are... Joe public wouldnt care, though. Not quite super as delivered.

And honestly.. is300?? no, no, and maybe. cachet? none. stock performance? blah. Potential? Surely there's a good bit, but 1 out of 3 is not enough. At least a stock mr-2 can beat a slightly modified 97 Dodge Intrepid in a street race. Cant say that for the is300 unfortunately. an 06 accord 3.0/auto sedan is faster. Ask me how i know. The 4dr m3s are closer to 'super' in all categories. When people driving FWD dodge family cars arent intimidated by your car, it is NOT super

This is a cool thread, keep it going!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/11/10 1:48 p.m.
Woody wrote: What are earlier Esprits going for? Are there any common swaps for the normally aspirated fours?

Well, in general and as discussed previously, you can buy an Esprit for between $300 and $100K. The more you spend, the better car you get. The earlier the Esprit, the more "issues" and "English-ness" you'll get. My car, a 1989 model known as the "89 non-SE" in Esprit circles because it is one of like 117 1989 cars made without the charge cooler and other SE add ons, is about as early as I'd care to go. The 1988 US market cars had the Citroen gear box and Bosch EFI. I have the stronger Renault gear box and GM EFI. 1988 was also the first year of the Peter Stevens redesign and 88-up cars are known as "Stevens" versus the Giugiaro bodied 87-back cars, known as "G cars." But, if you're determined to get a G car, I think nice ones are in the lower teens these days. Earlier ones, as I said, start at $300 and go up.

There aren't really any big common swaps. The 910 motor is pretty stout by itself and capable of 300+ HP reliably. It is an aluminum casting of a Bedford (UK GM) truck block with a Cosworth DFV head, in broad terms. Some V6's have been swapped in, some V8's like the Rover, of course, a SBC/SBF or two. I've seen pics of these on teh intraw3bz, y0, and I heard of a Lexus V8 in a race car in Oz.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/11/10 1:52 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
mr2peak wrote: If you're gonna swap engines on an AllTrac, get a 3sgte. That said, MR2oc is a good place to find engines and engine importers.
Have you seen the tranny and transfer case on a Camry AllTrac?

This is the second time this has come up. Everything I've ever heard is that the tranny/transfercase is identical between the Celica and Camry AllTracs. Considering how few Camry AllTracs were made, I just can't see Toyota making a seperate tranny for them.

For the blocks, the AllTracs are milled somehow to be able to fit? mount to? the transfercase. I don't know if this is something that can be done to a regular S-block or not... I'm wary of tearing mine apart until I have a new motor to drop in its place.

Back on topic, I can see the Viper as a supercar, especially the GT-S, certainly not the Corvette, though.

ZOO
ZOO Dork
2/11/10 1:58 p.m.
Matt B wrote:
Ian F wrote: The only BMWs that qualify are the 8-series and the M1. All of the 3 and 5 M cars are still too common.
Forget something? God I want one. Not anywhere near supercar-on-a-budget priced yet.

Oooh -- Z8s -- I've even driven one. Fast, but not OMG fast. Sadly a bit too heavy. But to me, that shape is one of the most beautiful of all time.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/11/10 2:00 p.m.

Not a Supercar, but I've always had a spot in my garage for an 850 BMW.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
2/11/10 2:31 p.m.

I've always considered the NSX to be the accord of supercars. Sure, they're neat looking an all, but the power is just laughable.

Also, the Viper is the dodge of supercars no matter how fast or cool looking they are. The early ones have kit car build quality, and it didn't get much better from there.

The real budget supercar is the C5Z06 IMO.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/11/10 2:36 p.m.
skruffy wrote: The real budget supercar is the C5Z06 IMO.

But no Corvette is a supercar... well... maybe the new ZR1... but even then... all the performance in the world won't remove the bow-tie from the car. Same with the Viper, although that car at least benefits some from its limited numbers.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
2/11/10 2:37 p.m.

A mercedes 450sel 6.9er is a super sedan. It would be relatively cheap to buy but would probably kill you in maintenance. They really are a remarkable car and you can get one in good shape for between 10-15k. It has pneumatic suspension, a huge motor with dry sump, they are really rad. If you were to get a european model you could really haul ass. And look good doing it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N8AhWb1f6JSRIk3vBKvoizhT8UmGNLvfuRsZWCKoLzq6mHN7mOZJQkyfFqKdS9Pw