2 3 4 5
ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/9/09 10:53 a.m.
Jay wrote: Toyota's 3T-C. The motor of choice for insane 1/4 mile builds in Puerto Rico and the Philippines. J

Maybe I'm just a product of the automotive 80's and am spoiled by the prices for SBC stuff...but I'm looking for a cam for my 3TC and am not happy with the prices. I won't even consider a new cam because of the prices...

I suppose part of the problem is that I'm not really excited by anything forced induction (much like I don't like power windows...).

Clem

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/9/09 11:00 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
Jay wrote: Toyota's 3T-C. The motor of choice for insane 1/4 mile builds in Puerto Rico and the Philippines. J
Maybe I'm just a product of the automotive 80's and am spoiled by the prices for SBC stuff...but I'm looking for a cam for my 3TC and am not happy with the prices. I won't even consider a new cam because of the prices... I suppose part of the problem is that I'm not really excited by anything forced induction (much like I don't like power windows...). Clem

Ebay is your friend.

I've seen fully built 3tc heads go for under $200 in fleabay, and cams for under $150. Nice ones, too.

I could build a 3tc entirely out of parts found on ebay for cheap, and i'm sure it would haul some major buttcheeks.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo MegaDork
2/9/09 11:22 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
mrdontplay wrote: It's kind of a hard question when it's regardless of application. I just through another one out there. A guy I know has a D-series in a 4 door civic and runs high 13s. He has about $1500 in it, and thats including the price of the car.
I ran an 11.876 @ 127 in a D16Y8 1g CRX for under $2500 total price including car. Definitely not something i'll try again, the car was the scariest piece of E36 M3 i've ever driven. I doubt it was even making 300whp. And then i was the idiot that after i almost killed myself in THAT car... decided it'd be a GREAT idea to build a 2g CRX HF with a a high compression LS Vtec on spray! I'm still to this day not sure which was scarier. The LS Vtec dyno'd over 200whp n/a, and i had a 125 shot on it. I only had the balls to drive that car for about 2 months before i parted it out. I wouldn't have sold that thing to anyone for any amount of money and kept it on my conscience. D-series cannot hold up to B-series unless you throw a LOT of money at them. Your average built D-series will get eaten alive by a stock B18B with an ebay kit and an FMU.

1989 Ford Ranger codename: STRANGR

1989 Crown Vic 5.0L short block, used Flat top pistons, Autozone rings, FRPP Z303 camshaft, used OE Mustang roller lifters, TFS valve springs, Dart Windsor heads ported, gasket matched and shaved, Edelbrock Victor JR intake, Barry Grant Race Demon 750 carb (junk BTW), Alloy flywheel with King Cobra clutch, WC T5, OE Ranger 7.5" 4.10 rear with factory locking unit from Crown Vic, 195/65r15s on Centerline Telstars up front and 275/60r15 Drag Radials on widened (10") Jeep steel wheels out back...

11.65 @ 129 mph

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/9/09 11:31 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
mrdontplay wrote: It's kind of a hard question when it's regardless of application. I just through another one out there. A guy I know has a D-series in a 4 door civic and runs high 13s. He has about $1500 in it, and thats including the price of the car.
I ran an 11.876 @ 127 in a D16Y8 1g CRX for under $2500 total price including car. Definitely not something i'll try again, the car was the scariest piece of E36 M3 i've ever driven. I doubt it was even making 300whp. And then i was the idiot that after i almost killed myself in THAT car... decided it'd be a GREAT idea to build a 2g CRX HF with a a high compression LS Vtec on spray! I'm still to this day not sure which was scarier. The LS Vtec dyno'd over 200whp n/a, and i had a 125 shot on it. I only had the balls to drive that car for about 2 months before i parted it out. I wouldn't have sold that thing to anyone for any amount of money and kept it on my conscience. D-series cannot hold up to B-series unless you throw a LOT of money at them. Your average built D-series will get eaten alive by a stock B18B with an ebay kit and an FMU.
1989 Ford Ranger codename: STRANGR 1989 Crown Vic 5.0L short block, used Flat top pistons, Autozone rings, FRPP Z303 camshaft, used OE Mustang roller lifters, TFS valve springs, Dart Windsor heads ported, gasket matched and shaved, Edelbrock Victor JR intake, Barry Grant Race Demon 750 carb (junk BTW), Alloy flywheel with King Cobra clutch, WC T5, OE Ranger 7.5" 4.10 rear with factory locking unit from Crown Vic, 195/65r15s on Centerline Telstars up front and 275/60r15 Drag Radials on widened (10") Jeep steel wheels out back... 11.65 @ 129 mph

DO WANT.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/9/09 12:13 p.m.

I thought it was against Puerto Rican law to rebuild or race any engine except for rotary's?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/9/09 12:27 p.m.

lolz

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/1/15 10:46 p.m.

I bought a complete 454 4 bolt cast crank, cast piston,low mileage RV big block chevy for $150. There was an article on boosting a stock BBC to a pretty crazy number. I can't find the article anywhere. I think it was a Car Craft build. Does anyone have that story/article/link?

chada75
chada75 New Reader
10/2/15 5:41 a.m.

An old 360 Dodge Engine can make big power cheap.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/2/15 6:07 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

I remember reading an article where they added nitrous oxide to a junkyard BB engine until explosion. It broke a piston somewhere around 800hp because the fuel pump they were using couldn't keep up. I can't find the article at the moment but it was an interesting read.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/2/15 6:10 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Is this guy referring to your Car Craft article?

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652178#/forumsite/20668/topics/652178?page=1

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
10/2/15 6:22 a.m.

6 year dead thread zombiefied. Kind of makes me want to go into the archives and root up something from the Bush administration.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/2/15 6:30 a.m.

It's still a thread talking about relevant technologies like Rotaries and Megasquirted 4cyl.

It's not like we were discussing Strombergs and Flatheads "way" back in 2009.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
10/2/15 6:34 a.m.

Thread may be a 6 year old thread, but the info is still spot on. Nothing has changed except for the fact that some of those 4 bangers are getting expensive and hard to find in decent condition. 302s and 350s are still a dime a dozen and still make cheap easy power. Now that the LS swaps are flooding the market, the old small blocks are even cheaper. I'll add one engine to the list that wasn't relevant 6 years ago... BMW straight six engines. Lots of them on u tube now running boost and putting down ridiculous power.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/2/15 6:35 a.m.

If Andrew Nelson wants to talk about big power on the cheap I don't care one bit how old the thread was.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
10/2/15 6:54 a.m.

I bought a 351 windsor with injection, harness, ecm, all the belt driven stuff and an aod for $150. I added a set of flat tops for $250 plus craigslist intake and carb for like $125. I never dynoed it, but it makes more power than I feel comfortable with in that chassis.

All my ford friends were like "Dont buy a 351, buy a 302 and spend four figures on a stroker kit. Thats what all of us cool foxbody guys are doing" . Yeah that way I can spend three times as much and have weaker block.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/2/15 7:23 a.m.

I know what is not the cheapest way to get big power. Price out an engine for a classic Mini. It is an expensive way to get small power. If I would've put the money that I put into my engine and transmission into a SBC I would have a car that could probably take me to the moon.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/2/15 7:34 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Yes, that's the article I am looking for.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
10/2/15 7:35 a.m.

Holy old thread bump. I was shocked when I saw I was the OP.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/2/15 7:37 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

We'll send you a box of tissues.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
10/2/15 8:56 a.m.

Four pages in six years and not one mention of a 5.9 cummins.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
10/2/15 9:15 a.m.

Almost 400 NA HP for almost $1000

That's a 302 ford with no power adders.

I'm sure you can do much better though with a 350 or LSx now. the article is 6 years old. (kinda like this thread -OOOOH BURN!!! )

EDIT: I have also seen BMW v12s for sale for $350 that make 300-330 hp stock. They also have low (8.8:1) compression stock and smallish valves that scream forced induction. Few/no cheap manual trans options though.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
10/2/15 9:16 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I know what is not the cheapest way to get big power. Price out an engine for a classic Mini. It is an expensive way to get small power. If I would've put the money that I put into my engine and transmission into a SBC I would have a car that could probably take me to the moon.

Haha yup, way overpriced. But, the hp does go twice as far...

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/2/15 9:33 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I think i posted this before: 460 Ford. About $1500 to make over 500 hp and 700 lb ft of torque. No turbos or supercharger. Just old fashioned N/A power. I really want to put one in a lighter car, like a Mustang II or RX7. ;)

700 lb/ft...that would do a decent job of hauling around my Lincoln.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
10/4/15 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie: Jag 4.2 engines made 210 horsepower in the XJ6 sedan and that was about it.. To get to 300 horsepower with one of those expect to spend well north of $5000 Yes the XK-E had 265 horsepower but those where very skinny British horses and I never saw a stock one on a Dyno actually make even 200 horsepower.

I put a GMC type supercharger on one and ran alcohol and got 453 horsepower but the amount of Time I spent getting things right would have nearly put me through college if I'd been paid Plus they are 20 pounds heavier than the Jaguar V12 at 720 pounds Not to mention no Jaguar transmission could handle the torque

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/4/15 10:54 a.m.

Small block fords, small block chevys both work great for cheap power. Im also a fan of the 2.3t and managed to buy 2 of them complete with the car they came in for less then 500 bucks back in 08. Took me 2 trys to get the swap right but it managed a 12.98 at 108 for 1300 all in. Gutted too E36 M3 87 mustang. My 79 capri was only 2/10ths faster with a 330hp crate motor but it was a full interior and stock body.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JeGtgfkVM61DqqIL4pHux9bhYk77dHF7kL8YjhefP1VvQXbzx6Pzx9nr0UXtLReB