16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/16/19 10:37 a.m.

So I found a car I'm interested in Vermont. It's a relatively cheap car, so I don't need anything fancy. I was considering a fly and drive, but a with $300 flight and a 18 hour drive it may just be cheaper to have it hauled, and will definitely be easier on me. So, any experience with affordable, quality car shipping?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/16/19 10:40 a.m.

Cheapest I have done is uship. Cost me $700 from Boston to la. 
but most of the time I use horseless carriage which is usually 2x times or more. Not worth for a $300 car 

I would find a good reputation u ship hubby and wife team. 
be flexible with dates for Cheapest option 

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/16/19 11:25 a.m.

Not sure if a cheaper bid will take time, but I went ahead and made a listing and almost immediately got two bids of over $1,500, and there were published rates around $900 on the site, which all seem REALLY high to me. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to be patient for reasonable bids?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
11/16/19 11:26 a.m.

I think being patient is the key.  

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/16/19 11:34 a.m.
m4ff3w said:

I think being patient is the key.  

I think you're right. It looks like the bid process is open for everyone to see, because every bid I've received has been cheaper than the last. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
11/16/19 11:51 a.m.

In reply to 16vCorey :

I was looking for shipping companies to move a couple of our cars across the country around this time of year last year. The rates were pretty high around this time of year because of the holidays and everybody's business winding down somewhat before the end of the year.

Being patient might be the key, but keep in mind the reverse auction on uShip only runs for a week or so.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/16/19 11:59 a.m.

How about get a self-driving tesla to tow it?  Free electricity, and no labor cost.      ;)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/16/19 12:01 p.m.

Patience 
Flexibility

Two key pieces needed for cheap bids.... 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/16/19 12:02 p.m.

Drivers want to drop something off and pick another load up nearby , 

when you get up in the Northeast thats hard to do ,  so you almost end up paying for them to make a special empty trip to go up and pick up your car.....

I think there are Bots on Uship that just throw prices out to every listing , 

Brokers who will then sell your load to the hauler who is doing the work......

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
11/16/19 12:31 p.m.

With uship there will be some quick robo bids that will be really high. Later on you should get some actual people who have read your ad. I usually write something snarky in my ad like “I’m not going to put your kids through college so bid reasonably.”

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/19 2:31 p.m.

Earlier this year I had this guy from Jacksonville move a Prius for me from Ohio to Illinois.  I was just one stop on his big loop around the Eastern US.  

Uship hits the drivers for a 25% fee and then his you the customer for another 7%.  Easier to get a good price if you go direct.  I was at 75 cents per mile. .

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/19 2:42 p.m.

Uship used to have a Name Your Own Price.  It was great for me.  They have since done away with that feature but there is no reason that you can not just state right in your listing what you want to pay.  

Also important to know that every possible shipper can see your replies to other shippers.  So, if you tell one shipper you might go $1/per mile than never expect anyone to come in cheaper.  But, if you reply to every shipper with your target price you will be sure that every potential shipper sees the target price.  

Im not sure that you can see details in my profile but I have done some screen shots for you.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/19 2:53 p.m.

Here is two screen shots of my earliest quotes and final quotes.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
11/16/19 9:09 p.m.

Is $0.70/mile about the going rate?

No Time
No Time Dork
11/16/19 9:25 p.m.

When my father was hauling cars the target was about $0.50/mile, but he was putting 8 on the trailer. 

This time of year there are a lot of cars leaving the NE heading south because of the snowbirds, so prices will be high for anything leaving NE. Once the snowbird rush is over (mid December) then the prices will come down to more reasonable levels. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/16/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

As you might see from the earliest bids or $700 to $600 for my 440 mile trip, the more "going rate" is more like $1.50-ish per mile. 

In years past I've had 1000+ mile ships done for  the 50 cent range

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
11/19/19 12:22 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Earlier this year I had this guy from Jacksonville move a Prius for me from Ohio to Illinois.  I was just one stop on his big loop around the Eastern US.  

Uship hits the drivers for a 25% fee and then his you the customer for another 7%.  Easier to get a good price if you go direct.  I was at 75 cents per mile. .

I just called George, based on your recommendation. We're going to try to work something out. I'd prefer to use him, given that I'm confident he'll be more considerate with the car!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/19 12:47 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Great. 

This is the rig that George arrived to my house with. I did not pay for enclosed transport but someone else on his loop route was paying for it so I got that added benefit for free. 

If you look up his company on uShip you can see pics of other equipment and see that he has good reviews. 

If you have other questions, I can be reached directly... Jwelsh02...yahoo....

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
11/19/19 7:50 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to dyintorace :

Great. 

This is the rig that George arrived to my house with. I did not pay for enclosed transport but someone else on his loop route was paying for it so I got that added benefit for free. 

If you look up his company on uShip you can see pics of other equipment and see that he has good reviews. 

If you have other questions, I can be reached directly... Jwelsh02...yahoo....

Very cool. Thanks. I'll keep you updated!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
11/19/19 8:08 p.m.

What car and where in Vermont? VW?

AdamT
AdamT
10/17/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey :

I have been moving cars for almost a decade and am happy to answer any questions anyone may have or provide you a quote. The best brokers to go with do not require a deposit until after the carrier has been scheduled, they always answer their phones and guarantee their prices.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
10/17/22 6:55 p.m.
AdamT said:

In reply to 16vCorey :

I have been moving cars for almost a decade and am happy to answer any questions anyone may have or provide you a quote. The best brokers to go with do not require a deposit until after the carrier has been scheduled, they always answer their phones and guarantee their prices.

Can you ship a canoe?

JDDodger
JDDodger New Reader
3/28/24 7:28 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey :

Keep in mind that the busy season Memorial Day to Labor Day cost much more than other times of the year.  All the snowbirds leaving the South and going back up North.  I found out the hard way that just posting online for a transport got me nothing but trouble.  Kind of like going to the parking lot of Home Depot and hiring whoever is in the parking lot.  You get what you get.  Last couple times I used a broker for my daughter's car when leaving school for another school then home.  A to Z Auto Shipping.  Gave me absolutely no worries.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jCs92CsNd4gAIgxGawnN2rpnuOUPsXJ3XUE6ML35eiRvFuQzEiALDeYcmrfTYyMc