1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/11/12 8:55 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Of those saying "vintage," how many of you are working on a vintage and how long has it been since you were able to drive it, or has it even been drivable since you purchased it? Who cares if you see a lot of X car? Build it the way you want and know when the local flat bill crew wads it up trying to play Ken Block, the supply of readily available cheap parts will remain. But I admit, I hate working on cars and do it out of necessity. I'd rather be driving than wrenching.

That is why you buy a decent one if you don't want to do a lot of work right off the bat. Old cars have a certain character that newer cars just don't have plus I just find them more fun to drive. I would much rather drive an old Triumph then a Miata cause I find them more fun even if it does take a little more work to keep on the road. OF coarse my LBC isn't on the road but I got it for free so what can you expect.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/11/12 9:00 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Your Porsche is not "Vintage" like a 510 or 914.

It is the same basic car as the '74 only with less reliable heater controls. None of the "improvements" from the Carrera to the 964 had anything to do with changing the character of the car. They are just faster. Anyone thinking an air-cooled p-car is "modern" is in their 60s :)

EDIT: I'm actually considering selling it in the spring for a TR-6 or other LBC and a GS1150-R combo of 2 and 4 wheel eclectic awesome.

Vintage_racer
Vintage_racer New Reader
12/12/12 3:32 p.m.

Go Vintage, 240Z. You can also put an LS engine in it like this one.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/12/12 4:08 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Your Porsche is not "Vintage" like a 510 or 914.
It is the same basic car as the '74 only with less reliable heater controls. None of the "improvements" from the Carrera to the 964 had anything to do with changing the character of the car. They are just faster. Anyone thinking an air-cooled p-car is "modern" is in their 60s :) EDIT: I'm actually considering selling it in the spring for a TR-6 or other LBC and a GS1150-R combo of 2 and 4 wheel eclectic awesome.

the fact that you can put the hood and bumpers from an early 911 onto a pre-964 and make it look like it belongs there with only a minor bit of fabrication work says a lot

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
12/13/12 12:55 p.m.
NBrown84 wrote: I just sold my ST Civic this past summer in hopes of picking up something RWD. I want to get something with some personality. I've looked into the following vintage cars but I'm afraid to commit to something and find out that parts are in short supply or they're difficult to work on etc... Please let me know your thoughts. Are any of these are worth getting over a Miata? Datsun Roadster Datsun 240/260/280 Datsun 510 Mazda RX7 (1st gen) Porsche 914 BMW 2002

E7 Corolla???

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/13/12 1:02 p.m.

I bought a 1987 Toyota MR2 for rallycross last December. If I could find a decent shape supercharged MR2 of the same vintage, I'd REALLY be tempted to use as a DD.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
12/13/12 1:25 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I bought a 1987 Toyota MR2 for rallycross last December. If I could find a decent shape supercharged MR2 of the same vintage, I'd REALLY be tempted to use as a DD.

MR2 SC, Cleveland $1500
Crappy pictures but in the one w/ the t-tops, I think I see an automatic trans. Still, as a daily that would be okay.
I owned a '88SC for 4 years (sold in 2004) what a great little engine!

If it is an auto...back when new, C&D reported the SC Automatic as the fastest car sold in the US for 0-30mph times. The was largely due to the fact that the car does not shift out of 1st gear till 31 mph.

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/15/12 4:13 p.m.

Damn, I just don't think I could buy another auto ever again. Had a 5sp in my Talon and loved it, the MR2 has one and love it. Even wish my DD 2006 Scion xB was 5sp. I'd feel really shortchanged with an auto SC MR2.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
12/15/12 6:08 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Of those saying "vintage," how many of you are working on a vintage and how long has it been since you were able to drive it, or has it even been drivable since you purchased it? Who cares if you see a lot of X car? Build it the way you want and know when the local flat bill crew wads it up trying to play Ken Block, the supply of readily available cheap parts will remain. But I admit, I hate working on cars and do it out of necessity. I'd rather be driving than wrenching.

I didn't put in a vote, but I drive a 71 BGT one or three days a week. I don't work on it very often, I bought a good one and made steady improvements over time. I've had more temperamental MG's in the past and they were daily drivers. As simple as these cars are, I have still learned a lot over the years.

I love older cars, but I also love newer cars, too. Newer cars are just more expensive and complex, so I don't mess with them very much due more to economics. You can take an older "B" or "C" level vintage or classic car and take it much farther for less money than you can a newer car needing work or an "A" level classic. I am not a proponent of daily driving a vintage car. Modern cars, and by modern I mean anything really made after the mid-80's, are just easier to live with. and I have come to appreciate good climate control, heated seats and a good defroster and I actually prefer driving automatics daily.

As far as wrenching goes, I'm never happier than when I'm done. I am fairly competent, but I take at least double the book rate for any task, even brakes. I'm just not a natural.

It really spends on your expected use and your tolerance for frustration, and if you consider the challenges of vintage car maintenance interesting or annoying. There are lots of 914s out there, but you might find the part are not exactly a phone call away or affordable or as high equality as they could be. Ditto for the british and italian classics.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/15/12 6:31 p.m.

So, just what is vintage? Does it have to be 1960s, 1970s, 1980s? My daily drivers are 1980s BMWs; some may consider them vintage but to me they're pretty contemporary.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/15/12 6:44 p.m.
Vintage_racer wrote: Go Vintage, 240Z. You can also put an LS engine in it like this one.

V8 swaps are for 260s and 280s, not 240s.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/15/12 8:28 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: So, just what is vintage? Does it have to be 1960s, 1970s, 1980s? My daily drivers are 1980s BMWs; some may consider them vintage but to me they're pretty contemporary.

As I'm using my '88 E30 as a DD right while I do maintenance on my TDi, I very much consider it "vintage". Granted, its better for this use than my '73 GT6 with things like a functioning defroster, cruise control, and so on, although I trust the GT6 more from a mechanical aspect. Each day with the E30 often ends with my head in the manual trying to figure out what broke this time. I just managed to get the OBD center lights all off tonight... Joy...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/15/12 11:31 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Vintage_racer wrote: Go Vintage, 240Z. You can also put an LS engine in it like this one.
V8 swaps are for 260s and 280s, not 240s.

I am not even sure I would do it to the 260.. it was not as bastardized as the 280 was...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zcdNFswL66gtWawBk45JiHITlFW5GDNXpQJFV5guvw6L5yBgtPGylFMZ6eIOwp8O