alleykat
alleykat Reader
9/4/18 11:02 p.m.

I currently own both a 94 Miata and a 94 E36 325i. Both are in good but not great condition.

I want to go racing. Both of these cars are good candidates to build Chump cars.

Which would you rather road race and why?

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
9/5/18 5:54 a.m.

I'd sell them both and buy a E36 race car with a good track record.  The E36 is the right answer but the time, money, and sheer effort to get it to it's first race will be a huge sunk cost.  With race entries going for $1200-1500, it's very expensive to sort out a new build at the events.

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
9/5/18 6:26 a.m.

Have to agree.

I don’t know anything about Miatas, so I won’t say anything about that. But for the E36, there are a few hidden things you need to do to make them reliable on track. It’s all a bunch of little stuff, but it adds up in time/money/hassle.

Most platforms have their quirks. You’re almost always better off buying a car that already has had all that stuff done and proven itself reliable under track conditions.

As for which chassis to choose, Chump car seems to involve very large fields and drivers of limited experience. In that context, I’d want a lot of metal around me. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
9/5/18 6:47 a.m.

I would look at the starting values of each car and their fuel capacity.

Both are fairly easy to prep cars.  Neither will require an extreme engine or drivetrain swap to be competitive.  Both cars have good suspension.

The miata will be cheaper in the long run due to less expensive tires, brakes, fuel.  If you want to do an engine swap, you can fit it in the 500 points with the miata, i dont think you can with the e36.

Both chassis have won races.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/5/18 6:55 a.m.

The question you need to answer BEFORE doing anything is: do you want to go racing, or do you want to build a race car?

The answer to that question will dictate your path forward. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/5/18 7:16 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The question you need to answer BEFORE doing anything is: do you want to go racing, or do you want to build a race car?

The answer to that question will dictate your path forward. 

Good thought, I like working on the car almost as much as racing it.  By the time you install safety equipment, cage, stuff that won't break, you are better off buying an already run car.  I would go as far as to buy a seat for a race and see if it fits you, a real test drive.

Then use one of you current cars for spare parts, you will need them.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
9/5/18 8:38 a.m.
LanEvo said:

.. But for the E36, there are a few hidden things you need to do to make them reliable on track. It’s all a bunch of little stuff, but it adds up in time/money/hassle...

I'd be very interested to hear what these hidden things you speak of.  Our first race in the E36 is in 2 weeks at CMP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWxiYgaa0D1qmXSK18z5ugUh8xZ9GKTNjLwDBnvX5pRzDbVTrzH5VYgSc1saIhrN