dave_ja2e
dave_ja2e New Reader
11/8/21 6:14 p.m.

Chapter 13 of the SCCA Solo rule book allows for accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car.  

Does this mean the factory stereo can be removed and an aftermarket stereo installed provided it and the associated components (amplifiers, speakers, head unit, etc) are similar in weight to the factory components?

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/8/21 6:49 p.m.

As long as "similar" means "not lighter" then yes. But realistically nobody is going to ask to weigh your radio unless it's obvious you did something with the specific intent to reduce weight.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/8/21 7:37 p.m.

I believe the first time radio deletes are specifically mentioned as legal is Street Prepared.  That being said, I can't imagine anyone protesting you unless it's obviously part of a large weight loss program.

[edit] Please ignore my reading comprehension fail.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/21 7:42 a.m.

I ran aftermarket radios in almost all of my STS cars. You're fine.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/9/21 11:19 a.m.

Stereo stuff is fairly open, even for Street classes, providing you're swapping items of similar size and function. You can even "downgrade" using aftermarket parts. For example, if you have a car with a heavy factory subwoofer and amp, you can replace it with lighter aftermarket equipment, so long as you're emulating a factory setup that was also available in your specific model. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/9/21 11:26 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Stereo stuff is fairly open, even for Street classes, providing you're swapping items of similar size and function. You can even "downgrade" using aftermarket parts. For example, if you have a car with a heavy factory subwoofer and amp, you can replace it with lighter aftermarket equipment, so long as you're emulating a factory setup that was also available in your specific model. 

And the "amplifier" doesn't require a cooling fan that coincidentally happens to create a partial vacuum under the car. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KVsqVjhzZrqWn7Q5AwJ0q4vK200U2LrVwUh1sQcf9Uy0mzFYxfLRsPRCKJ7hXnhT