David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/20 8:10 a.m.

Of the entire Miata line, the NB-chassis cars sometimes seem to be left out. Ignored.

They lack the original Miata’s retro touches and didn’t get the refinements found in the later cars. Call it the forgotten middle child–like Jan Brady, Meg Griffin, or the Baldwin brothers not n…

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/21 1:33 p.m.

Note: the 2001 refresh brought bigger brakes and a number of chassis stiffeners (including changes to the tubs). It also dropped the two-cat CA emissions cars that can be very expensive to deal with in the case of a primary cat failure and picked up 10% more power. Also: functional headlights. It did get a bit heavier. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/5/21 2:26 p.m.

The first of this generation is known as the NB1.  The improved 2001-2005 is an NB2.

I've owned a 2001 sport, which I sold when I bought my 99 sport. Besides the VVT and chassis bracing, a difference between my two cars was that that particular NB2 came with a six speed. I  preferred street driving the newer car, but it wasn't as competitive in the E Street autocross class that I compete in, especially with the six speed. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/5/21 2:31 p.m.

All I know it an NB Miata is the only car I've bought new, and I still have it. (I don't count leases). 

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Vs the '95 it replaced, it was a better car in every respect that mattered to me. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/21 3:02 p.m.

NB1 vs NB2 is used in some US based forums. Sometimes you see NBFL (Face Lift) or other bits of alphabet soup I've not managed to decipher. And that's not counting what happens in the UK, where they use Mk1 and Mk2 and lord knows what for the later cars. I think I've come across Mk2.1.

It's not a Mazda designation like the NB chassis code is. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/21 3:05 p.m.

The story is really about the 1999 model vs the 1997 it replaced. Things like the rear end ratio only apply to the five speed cars, as the 6-speed/3.9 also appeared in 1999. 

There's a Mazda publication called the "service highlights" that goes into the NB changes in beautiful excruciating detail. But the main thing is that it's not really a new chassis, it's just an update so there is lots of interchange. I just finished driving a 1990 with a 2004 drivetrain :)

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
9/5/21 5:53 p.m.

The NB is the best looking Miata in my opinion. I like the curves, and am old enough that pop up headlights aren't that special. Not one generation I'd kick out of the garage, though.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
9/5/21 8:12 p.m.

If you want to talk about a forgotten Miata I would think that's the (unloved) NC.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/21 9:35 p.m.

It isn't forgotten, magazines like GRM are trying hard to make it the Next Big Thing :) But between that push and the increased recognition of the NA as a true classic, the NB is definitely under-recognized.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/6/21 8:13 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

The NB is the best looking Miata in my opinion. I like the curves, and am old enough that pop up headlights aren't that special. Not one generation I'd kick out of the garage, though.

I'm old enough that I think sealed-beam lights are superior to any aero lights, though, so NA wins for lighting, if you want to see at night.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/6/21 3:21 p.m.

If I get another Miata it will likely be an NB.  I like the look better than the NA, but all my former Miatas have been NA.  I won't test drive and ND because I'm afraid I will buy it.  The NC has never been very appealing to me.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/6/21 4:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I'm old enough that I think sealed-beam lights are superior to any aero lights, though, so NA wins for lighting, if you want to see at night.

Stock for stock the NB lights are better on a purely fuctional basis (in terms of illuminating the road), but I'm told it's easy to drop some high quality LED upgrades into the sealed beam mounts and quite a bit harder to make the non-projector NB1 headlights that good.  You can swap in NB2 projector mounts, but then you need the ugly NB2 bumper as well. :)

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/7/21 8:51 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Stock for stock the NB lights are better on a purely fuctional basis (in terms of illuminating the road), but I'm told it's easy to drop some high quality LED upgrades into the sealed beam mounts and quite a bit harder to make the non-projector NB1 headlights that good.  You can swap in NB2 projector mounts, but then you need the ugly NB2 bumper as well. :)

While I have an NA with the super cool pop-ups, there is a very definite aero penalty to driving with the headlights up.  (2 seconds a lap on NCM West)

NB bodywork will swallow a bit larger tires than the slightly more svelte NA.

car39
car39 Dork
9/7/21 9:50 a.m.

I recently purchased my first NB after 3 NA models.  It's a 2000 with under 60k.  I like that it's a bit easier to drive long distance, not as cramped as my previous 90.  Not as strained on the highway, but still good on the twisties.  I don't know if it's this specific car, but everything I touch breaks.  Snapped a lug stud changing tires, and I wasn't anywhere near the end of travel, and was doing it by hand.  Worked on the dash vents, the dash developed small cracks.  We've taken to calling it Carmilla, because it's British Racing Green ( I know, Emerald Mica) and a Royal Bitch.  I still like it, though.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/7/21 11:53 a.m.
car39 said:

I recently purchased my first NB after 3 NA models.  It's a 2000 with under 60k.  I like that it's a bit easier to drive long distance, not as cramped as my previous 90.  Not as strained on the highway, but still good on the twisties.  

This is an interesting case of perception. 

Is that a 5-speed or a 6-speed? Based on the black interior, I'm thinking the former. If so, it's spinning just as fast on the highway as a 1990-93. The interior volume is unchanged relative to an NA, so it's not any roomier. 

To me, the big improvement of the NB was the manual steering rack. The manual rack on the NA feels like it was rushed through development in a few weeks because some purists claimed that Real Sports Cars have unassisted steering (spoiler alert: it was) and it's not great. The NB manual rack is rare but feels much better.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/7/21 4:32 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I don't want to illuminate the road.   Lights that put an extremely bright spot right in front of the car make it hard to see 100 yards down the road.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/7/21 4:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
car39 said:

I recently purchased my first NB after 3 NA models.  It's a 2000 with under 60k.  I like that it's a bit easier to drive long distance, not as cramped as my previous 90.  Not as strained on the highway, but still good on the twisties.  

This is an interesting case of perception. 

Is that a 5-speed or a 6-speed? Based on the black interior, I'm thinking the former. If so, it's spinning just as fast on the highway as a 1990-93. The interior volume is unchanged relative to an NA, so it's not any roomier. 

To me, the big improvement of the NB was the manual steering rack. The manual rack on the NA feels like it was rushed through development in a few weeks because some purists claimed that Real Sports Cars have unassisted steering (spoiler alert: it was) and it's not great. The NB manual rack is rare but feels much better.

...Curious.  I thought the Na Miata racks were just narrower FC racks.  Is this not the case, or is its being the case the reason why it wasn't as good as it could have been?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/7/21 4:52 p.m.

I have no idea what their background is. I just know that the manual rack was a short development time last minute addition, and that they're not great. 

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/25/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)

Don't remember where I read it, but the NB was styled by the same guy who did the original Viper.  I believe it.  I have an NB and I call it a baby Viper and that was before I heard about the guy who styled it.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/25/22 11:01 a.m.

Not quite 2 years since the article was first published, and a nice, low-mile NB is now a $10k car.  Crazy.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/25/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Yes, but any low mileage car is $6K today anyway. May as well spring for the fun one and pay a bit more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oja3b0uNih31u8lRJTYzh304smdojU8txU7uGuqUsmAqf76DnqE19s14k375bDLt