1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/15/19 1:35 p.m.

Of all the Japanese supercars released stateside during the ’90s, the twin-turbo Toyota Supra has reigned supreme. Huge performance potential, timeless lines and bulletproof drivetrains have led to consistently strong prices. These cars never really depreciated, and one of them recently pulle…

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/15/19 1:36 p.m.

I saw a 100% bone-stock Supra on the highway last week, not going to a car show or auction, just out for the day running errands. I was shocked. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/15/19 2:24 p.m.

When a car was made in the 80's, and it was considered quite highly back then, I have a tough time considering a late 90's to early 00's a classic.

Celica Supra is a classic.

David S. Wallens
7/15/19 2:29 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I saw a 100% bone-stock Supra on the highway last week, not going to a car show or auction, just out for the day running errands. I was shocked. 

Dang. Stock wheels, even? I guess there are still a few out there. 

David S. Wallens
7/15/19 2:37 p.m.
alfadriver said:

When a car was made in the 80's, and it was considered quite highly back then, I have a tough time considering a late 90's to early 00's a classic.

But if you're now 25 years old, the mid-'90s were a lifetime ago....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
alfadriver said:

Yup. 

Had my 94 mint mr2 turbo at the grocery store last week.  Its all stock, 9,100 miles. As I was putting groceries in front trunk, kid who pushes around the cart says “wow, I never knew Toyota made that” as he was looking at the badge in the back. 

He was probably 16-17 years old. Has a Fiesta ST. 

Made me feel really old as I said I have owned it since new. 

SIGH 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
7/15/19 2:43 p.m.

Did the car make the movie or did the movie make the car?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/15/19 2:54 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
alfadriver said:

Uh, David...  I recall meeting you almost 20 years ago, so I know that this car isn't nearly a lifetime ago for you.devil

(ya bastard for reminding me how old I am)indecision

On a relative basis, when we bought our Alfa, which was a classic, it was merely 23 years old.  So I'll begrudgingly say that a '98 Supra *might* be a classic.  But it would also mean that a Celica Supra is down right vintage.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
7/15/19 2:55 p.m.

Stolen from the meme thread: smiley

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/15/19 3:00 p.m.

Why oh why is the latest version so berkin'buttugly...shoot I'm not much of a fan of  the 'predator' Lexus beak , but I do harbor strong feelings  for the RCF....even though it's what 22K more?

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/15/19 3:04 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I was in high school in the mid to late 90s, and that feels like a lifetime ago. And trust me, the Supra was lusted after something fierce, even back then. A completely stock Mk. 4 Supra is still a car after which I lust. So yeah, classic.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/19 3:10 p.m.
Robbie said:

The movie made a good car a lot more expensive and a lot more likely to no longer be stock.

David S. Wallens
7/15/19 3:24 p.m.
Robbie said:

It would be interesting to go back in time and look at prices, but I don't remember them ever dipping. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/15/19 3:34 p.m.
Robbie said:

I think the movie kept it relevant. Could you imagine if they had used a 3000GT VR4 instead?

David S. Wallens
7/15/19 3:52 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Why oh why is the latest version so berkin'buttugly...shoot I'm not much of a fan of  the 'predator' Lexus beak , but I do harbor strong feelings  for the RCF....even though it's what 22K more?

The RC F is pretty cool.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/15/19 4:04 p.m.
Robbie said:

The movie increased the percieved value of the car to match the high prices I believe. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/15/19 4:21 p.m.
alfadriver said:

When I was 8 or so, 1987, our neighbor had a 69 or so GTO. Everyone called it a classic and it was only 18 years old!!!

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
7/15/19 5:04 p.m.

I'll take one is royal sapphire purple please!

te72
te72 Reader
7/15/19 11:50 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

I was in high school in the mid to late 90s, and that feels like a lifetime ago. And trust me, the Supra was lusted after something fierce, even back then. A completely stock Mk. 4 Supra is still a car after which I lust. So yeah, classic.  

You have a few years on me, but I can't say I remember even seeing one of these cars in person until sometime in the 2000's, they just weren't on my radar for whatever reason. Now the garage has two of them, one for myself, one that belongs to the missus. I never get tired of reminding people that it's her car, she's just gracious enough to let me drive it. =)

As far as finding a stock Mk4, I think you're more likely to find a jar of Unicorn Jizz amongst the mayo at the grocery store. I mean, it could happen... this is the point where you ask, "is he talking about the car, or the unicorn spunk?" and I'll just leave that to the reader to decide. Good luck! They're out there, a local friend found himself an RHD model that was stock apart from the intake, it's a lovely car.

te72
te72 Reader
7/15/19 11:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Robbie said:

It would be interesting to go back in time and look at prices, but I don't remember them ever dipping. 

I can't speak for the time around the first F&F movie, but by the late 2000's they were actually quite reasonably priced. Could get turbo 6-speeds for anywhere from about 16k up to about 30k for the more desireable color / later years. Prices only seem to have started climbing since oh... maybe 2014, 2015, give or take? My wife bought hers last year, and while it is a higher mileage car (means nothing, other than you don't have to ever feel bad about driving it), it wasn't unreasonably expensive.

I think she might have gotten in on that boat right as it was leaving the harbor though...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/16/19 7:03 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
pinchvalve said:

Dang. Stock wheels, even? I guess there are still a few out there. 

I know a guy who owns three that are 100% stock. I don't know why you'd want 3 of the same car and have all of them stock. I'd mod the hell out of at least one to provide a bit of contrast in driving experiences. But then again, I also think this generation of Supra is not that attractive. It's a fat, jellybean shape that is generic '90s car in appearance. Stylistically, I think there are much better cars from that era. (Like the 3rd-gen RX-7)

shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
7/16/19 8:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Robbie said:

I recall probably around 14-16 years ago looking at Auto Trader for "tuner cars" that would get me the most high school parking lot bragging rights at the time. That probably consisted of the Supra, 3KGT VR4, 300ZX and FD RX7. I swear at the time, while not common, a well used earlier non turbo mk4 could be had for a little under $10k. Not that 16/17 year old me could afford even that at the time, but I scoffed at the lack of forced induction, not knowing that it could be made just as capable...

I actually had two high school classmates back then during my senior year of HS (2004-05) whose parents bought them turbo MK4 Supra's. One was a "bought not built" manual trans example that was often referred to by fanboys as a "TRD Supra" (not sure why) that had already been outfitted with a body kit, wing, big wheels and likely some performance modifications. Which, from what I understand, were at least professionally done. I don't recall what was paid for that car, but it apparently was expensive (for that time). The second was a bone stock automatic turbo mk4 (pretty sure it was a 94) that had around 70k. I don't recall the exact amount paid (by the parents) but the two numbers floating in my head are $23k or $26k, which was somewhere during summer 2004. The car was black with the chrome stock wheels and was beautiful. Pretty quickly after it was purchased, the car was outfitted with neon lights, a not so carefully affixed yellowy unpainted body kit and super street cred "Tanabe Racing Medallion" fart can welded to the stock exhaust. Despite it's notably "in transition" appearance, the car drew crowds everywhere it went. I was good friends with the kid, and going places in the car was like hanging out with a celebrity. I remember as an "import" slanted, "dumbestic" snubbing, "3 pedals only" kid, I was blown away by the Supra's performance, despite lacking a pedal I at the time felt gave more credibility. The slant was lessened some when the car ended up nose to nose with an automatic LS1 F-body that also parked in the student parking lot... Eventually, the car was outfitted with some 18" wheels and coated with primer in preparation for some likely outlandish color, before it blew something allegedly turbo related. It was then parked in his parent's garage in that condition, where (from what I've heard) it has sat for the last 14 years or so. Wonder what it's worth now?

The extreme increase in value doesn't surprise me at all. This was the car everyone went nuts over when I frequented car meets/events 10-15+ years ago. There is an infamous example in my area that has been around for like 20 years, with a somewhat (at least back then) boisterous owner who once made big reputation staining claims like it would break a dyno (it barely cracked 400whp) or get kicked out of the dragstrip (owner couldn't leave the light worth a damn and ran a high 13...). Despite the reputation, when that car pulled into meets and hit "2-step" or revved it's engine, a whole smattering of kids and adults would drop whatever they were doing and flock to the car and take grainy flip phone pics and videos or whatever. 

David S. Wallens
7/16/19 9:36 a.m.

JG can back me up, but I recall having at least two of them here at the magazine as press cars: a white 15th Anniversary turbo and a silver non-turbo, no-wing car.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/16/19 9:50 a.m.
mainlandboy said:

Stolen from the meme thread: smiley

I'll see your 2JZ, and raise you a 2JZ swap with NAS:

te72
te72 Reader
7/17/19 12:16 a.m.

Heh, all this talk of the early 2000's has me remembering Streetfire. Ahh, old internet, why did you leave us?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nocvIVgAVMNGyw4a3LWms1BE3QPuxFIkVHxRGBPxfwEvwF9INdgmYYMjFOSKjqyf