1 2
pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/17/19 6:47 a.m.

Shortly after graduating from college in 2000 and securing my first real job I decided to purchase an adult sports car, ie something to replace the GS-R integra that got me through school.

I set a budget of $25,000 and began looking at my options.  I eventually narrowed my search to 964 Porsches, mk4 Supras and e36 m3's.  At the time 25k would buy a nice example of either one. 

I drove several of each but ended up with a one owner 1995 Daytona Violet m3 with 40k miles and no sunroof.  It was a great car and fulfilled all my needs at the time admirably but I often think about the ones that I didn't get ie the 964 and the supra...

te72
te72 Reader
7/17/19 11:45 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I hate that "bet on the wrong horse" feeling that I get sometimes with my Supra (1987, built in a "not quite Australian level of bonkers, but close enough" way), as I should have had some patience and bought a Mk4 myself.

Not because I don't appreciate the Mk3, it's just impossibly financially irresponsible what I've done with my car. A Mk4, on the other hand, would have been at least somewhat able to be sold for a reasonable amount down the road, if need be.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/28/20 11:57 a.m.

The town I grew up in was the county seat so parked right outside of the courthouse was a non turbo, non wing, no Targa manual Supra of this vintage. I believe it one of the judges owned (not sure if they still preside or not) but wow was that a stunning car!!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/20 12:04 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Had my 94 mint mr2 turbo at the grocery store last week.  Its all stock, 9,100 miles. As I was putting groceries in front trunk, kid who pushes around the cart says “wow, I never knew Toyota made that” as he was looking at the badge in the back. 

9100 miles?  Seems a shame to only drive such a car 350 miles per year........

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/28/20 3:09 p.m.

Impressive output even on the stock ones (about dead even with my old 3.2 turbo Fiero which was lighter but only had 300 bhp).

Hated the looks, though. Like a jelly bean with a handle on the back to hang them up to dry in the garage after you washed them.

And yes, I agree that the new Supra sucks as far as styling too - I much prefer the BMW version, except that they are convertibles so I'd never buy one.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/28/20 9:15 p.m.
alfadriver said:

When a car was made in the 80's, and it was considered quite highly back then, I have a tough time considering a late 90's to early 00's a classic.

Celica Supra is a classic.

I hear ya.  I read the title and I figured they'd highlight the early cars.  Nope.  It's the new one.  Classic? 

Kids today, I tell ya.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
7/29/20 3:45 a.m.

Owner of the body shop I used to work at many many years ago, bought a bone stock 98' MK4 GTE, coupe, red, 6-speed, 2100 miles.  Back in 06' when he bought it for $15k, Ourisman Toyota offered him $100k for it, because it was the lowest mileage MK4 on the registry in the U.S.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/20 8:09 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
alfadriver said:

When a car was made in the 80's, and it was considered quite highly back then, I have a tough time considering a late 90's to early 00's a classic.

Celica Supra is a classic.

I hear ya.  I read the title and I figured they'd highlight the early cars.  Nope.  It's the new one.  Classic? 

Kids today, I tell ya.

Most states will issue a classic title for a car 25-year old, right?

So that legally makes most '96 model cars (based on manufacturer date not model year) classics. 

I'll now vacate your lawn while you yell at the clouds.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/29/20 9:02 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Well, if we're going to let the government set the criteria, you might as well believe anything! laugh

Y'all carry on.  I will take my grouchy old man comments elsewhere.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
7/29/20 11:09 a.m.

I've probably commented about this way too much on here, but I crewed for friend that ran them in IMSA back in the day.  The car was a rocket, so much that we were the only car with reductions, where most of the others were getting boosts.  It was also bullet proof and tough as nails.  I will never forget the first time I worked on it and how easy it was.  It was very well thought out design.  I believe we are still the only team to win a professional race with one in the US. 

I remember it was only a couple of weeks between getting delivery of the former magazine test car and the first race at Daytona. Except for installing safety gear and cage, as well as bypassing top speed limiter. It was totally stock.  Ran I think 171 on the banking and Eric put it on pole.  Tied for most wins that year.   Fun times!   

350z247
350z247 Reader
3/4/21 12:16 p.m.

I will just never understand the obsession with this car or its engine. They're not bad by any means, but the hype far surpasses the actual merit. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
3/4/21 12:34 p.m.

I had a 3rd gen RX-7 semi-built with Peter Farrell goods that I sold a year before Fast and the Furious came out.  Still kicking myself for that one.

grover
grover Dork
3/5/21 10:17 p.m.

HS girlfriend had a best friend with one of these. I drove it once on spring break in 98. It was amazing. I still remember the first time I saw a big wing the first time. Blew me away. I'm 40 and I LOVE these. The mk3's do nothing for me. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/6/21 9:19 a.m.

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
3/8/21 6:17 a.m.

In reply to 350z247 :

It's a zeitgeist kind of thing. The Mk. IV and its contemporary ilk (Yes, even the 3000GT) all kind of represent a feel good, golden era of design and performance.

350z247
350z247 Reader
3/8/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela (FS) :

Do they though? Overly complicated engine bays with a thousand vacuum lines and simplified body lines because that's all the computers could handle. It's definitely the biggest deficit between American and Japanese performance, but that entire era is a nightmare to work on compared to the early 2000s once the ECUs could manage everything. Plus, all the forced induction is far less special now that everything has a turbo.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/8/21 11:13 a.m.

True, but it's a SUPRA

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/8/21 1:03 p.m.

David,

This is a classic supra.  The original Celica Supra.

That is a over hyped thing that is only really known because of the fast and furious movie.  

Sorry but I really have never liked those cars and yes it probably is because of the movie and the stereo type that was associated with them.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/8/21 1:15 p.m.

My senior year in HS ('94, cough, grumble), the local dealer had a caribbean blue twin turbo 5speed in the showroom. I kind of knew one of the sales people, and every time I'd get depressed about the amount of work I was doing in multiple AP level classes, I'd go sit in it. I'd sit there with my hands on the steering wheel, row the gears making vroom noises, and tell myself that this was the reason I was working so hard in school. 

It kind of worked. Graduated near the top of my class, went to a highly respected college, and did finally buy a nice sports car brand new. Turns out it was an '05 Mustang instead of a Supra, but it's been a good one.

I never have gotten to actually drive a MkIV. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/8/21 9:19 p.m.

You can always put that motor in a better looking, lighter chassis.

https://youtu.be/fVkYjJPZb2Y

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mTodHVodMgfE8fWw1IvIvC7ozoc4CWxZr9rUsjnkJ4dd7UStZ70zvS3MaRktNWhO