aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/21 8:45 p.m.

I thought some might be interesting in the latest endeavor of the Unofficial GRM AC Racing league.  We will be racing these on Wednesdays for the next few weeks:

All very well modeled and unique in their own way.  The Vette is a very loud torque beast with iffy brakes (to be fair none of the braking is near modern standards), the Skyline is a peaky turbo monster and the 911 is very "911".  We had to drop the Ferrari Daytona and the Jag because they were just not fast enough. They will make for some interesting racing as well as pics and vids.

We intended to use all classic tracks, but in testing we found that some of the older tracks (not too shockingly) can be rather terrifying in such high powered cars.  We found ourselves thankful the trees lining the old Bremgarden course where not fully modeled, otherwise there would have been a lot of cars wrapped around them (we did get some pretty spectacular crashes though).  We really did get the feeling though the being fast on the old tracks required skill but also a lot of bravery. The courses we will be racing are:

Hobsbury (old British track, still pretty tricky to drive)

Imola 1972 (kind of like the modern one but with fewer turns)

Goodwood (same as now)

Sebring (we are using the current one, but I don't know if it changed)

Riverside (long gone, but the later version without the super deadly last turn)

Bridgehampton (very well modeled sand lined track)

If anyone has any interest in joining the fun, Assetto Corsa is VERY affordable (especially during a Steam sale, which happens often).  You don't need the most recent gaming PC, but you will need a wheel.  We are always will to help new comers get setup (it is a bit more work to get going then a console game)

If anyone has any series or race suggestions they would like to see, we are pretty flexible, and the car and track selection for AC is HUGE, from prewar to modern F1, to some pretty strange fantasy cars (e.g. 300 hp bathtub!)

More info on the race can be found on the first page of this thread, including how to get setup in AC. The latest posts will have comments, pics and vids from the latest races are in the most recent posts of course: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/assetto-corsa-on-pc/174453/page1/

Here is a quick video I did of a test run we did a Bridgehampton (a track in Long Island that no longer exists).  Bridgehampton will be the final race of the season.

Here are some bigger shots of the cars and tracks:

The Cars

Track Schedule:

Hobsbury 

Imola 72 

Goodwood 

Sebring

Riverside 

Bridgehampton

Buck Futter
Buck Futter SuperDork
11/8/21 9:25 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I like it. But I can't get on the GRM server. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/8/21 9:30 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/21 11:08 p.m.
Buck Futter said:

In reply to aircooled :

I like it. But I can't get on the GRM server. 

What does it say? Are you using the ID / PW shown in the thread?

The server is up most of the time for practice but is down occasionally. It's based in MA. I am in CA and have a good ping to it.

Regarding the RV racing.  Yes we did do some school bus 8 track racing (!) but I think we may have pushed the game a bit too far, it didn't seem to deal with the gigantic hit boxes of the buses very well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vDJUUcaFcD0iMUdyvYal6YpRk4dsg2RVcnpHKqbYbLTJVW82dMpJUw2qdQRjM3Kw