1 2 3
dextervw
dextervw New Reader
1/5/21 1:46 p.m.

I'm trying to move away from the time suck that is faceblook and reengage in GRM... I've recently given up my early water-cooled vw addition and moved to classic Minis.  I've been a huge mini fan forever, even had a Mini World subscription for about a decade, but living in the states i never thought it would be reasonable to own and maintain a mini... boy was I wrong.  In 18 months I went from "some day" to "Do I have to many?" 

1989 Mini 1000 from Japan - Resto-mod'ed over last winter 

1991 Rover Mini 1000 - Rally Replica with a 1293 race motor and a bunch of details: recent acquisition that was too good to be true till it was true! 

1980 Clubman.... spun a bearing within 10 seconds of ownership... rebuild coming soon. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/21 1:51 p.m.

I seem to remember seeing your Clubman in one of the FB groups. 

I had a '64 Cooper with a lot of "S" parts on it from 2013 until I wrecked it in 2016. sad 

I miss it a lot and will have another classic some day.  Right now I have a 2006 R53 JCW which suites my current needs a little better.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/5/21 1:58 p.m.

Your green one is very similar to what I was considering for mine, but I eventually became happy with Sandy Beige.

Hot little 1293 from Rob Walker Engineering, 10" retrofit with Mini Sport 7.9" four pot brakes, center binnacle, stupid fun, usually inoperative due to the stupid HIF44 that I can't manage to get working properly.

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
1/5/21 2:04 p.m.

1980 mini 1000 from Japan. Pretty much stock except for an exhaust and a nee interior (hated the tan one that came in it)

Now that the interior is almost done, the next task is to wring out a little more power out of the 998!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/5/21 2:06 p.m.

I sold mine (1974 1000).  Genuinely regret selling that. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/21 3:39 p.m.

Our old '71 Innocenti Mini Cooper.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/5/21 4:21 p.m.

My 76 mini 1000. Currently sporting a 1048cc, 11 stud Cooper S head motor. The 1330 is built and sitting on the stand but I know that installing it will be a case of scope creep gone awry so it hasn't been done yet.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/5/21 5:43 p.m.

Built this back in 1992. I found a Canadian Mini 1000 shell in a junkyard and went on to build one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
1/5/21 7:19 p.m.

My best friend's car. It's a '72 Leyland. Repainted Surf Blue with Surf seats. Has a 1275 and rod-link from a Metro. I've spent quite a few hours in it. Lovely parts runner. Only downside is the TINY gas tank.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
1/5/21 7:47 p.m.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/5/21 9:34 p.m.

I bought a 1979 Mini 850, a little-old-lady car imported from the UK with under 30k miles.

I put disc brakes, mag wheels and some other things on it. Put a pair of Suzuki Swift seats in it too.

I think I had it for about 5 years. Had a lot of fun with it.

I picked up a 1098 engine to rebuild but I started to see some body issues under the crappy respray and decided I didn't want to do a shell-up restoration. I was able to sell it for probably what I had in it, so used it for free all that time. It was an itch I'd wanted to scratch for decades and it was fun, but I think I had my fill. Prices today for nice ones are insane, if you ask me.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/6/21 7:46 a.m.

I have never owned a Mini, but have had a lot of fun with the car in these photos, as I have been it's primary servicer since it came out of the BMC press fleet in 1967. Still in the family of the first retail owner, and probably the car on the cover of Nov. 1965 Road & Track. My father built it's roll bar and 1st hot engine.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
1/6/21 8:59 a.m.

Saving this thread for if the day ever comes where I have trouble achieving full mast, because this will certainly do it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/6/21 9:28 a.m.
dextervw said:

I'm trying to move away from the time suck that is faceblook and reengage in GRM... I've recently given up my early water-cooled vw addition and moved to classic Minis.  I've been a huge mini fan forever, even had a Mini World subscription for about a decade, but living in the states i never thought it would be reasonable to own and maintain a mini... boy was I wrong.  In 18 months I went from "some day" to "Do I have to many?" 

Very nice!  That's actually very close to the color scheme and look I would like for the Manic Miata.  That color, or maybe a more robin's egg blue.  White meatball on the door.

I love old Minis.  What I really want, though, is a Hillman Imp.

MattTheGrouch
MattTheGrouch
1/6/21 9:48 a.m.

My dad was always a car salesman. The first time he showed me a classic mini I fell in love, and we used to always talk about how I'd own one some day. Sadly, my dad passed away before he could see me with my first classic mini, but every classic I drive I know he's there with me, enjoying it.

At this point I've had nearly a dozen classic minis of all variations and types. I absolutely love these little machines and will hopefully never be without one again!

This was my first ever classic mini. a 1973 Morris Mini van that I bought and drove home from Vermont. I sold it a few years ago and would kill to have it back:

My current collection is a pair of 1966 Wolseley Hornets:

a 1980 Austin Clubman estate with a round-nose swap and wood added by previous owner at some point, this is an old pic:

a 1976 clubman estate with a d16y1 vtec honda motor:

a 1968 austin mini pickup with a honda d16 non-vtec engine swap:

and that Red 1275 clubman GT that David posted used to be my track car <3 I love that thing and I am so glad it went to the perfect home!

I now use my orange Hornet for track:

much love. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/6/21 10:01 a.m.

I wasn't really lusting for anything recently until now. Thanks /sarcasm laugh

MattTheGrouch
MattTheGrouch New Reader
1/6/21 10:07 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

I wasn't really lusting for anything recently until now. Thanks /sarcasm laugh

I can help you find one when/if you're on the hunt. 

dextervw
dextervw Reader
1/6/21 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Saddest thing I've heard today! 

dextervw
dextervw Reader
1/6/21 10:21 a.m.
BFH_Garage said:

1980 mini 1000 from Japan. Pretty much stock except for an exhaust and a nee interior (hated the tan one that came in it)

Now that the interior is almost done, the next task is to wring out a little more power out of the 998!

She's a beauty!! 

dextervw
dextervw Reader
1/6/21 10:22 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

The Taco Mini!!   Wondered who picked her up!  Whats the plans with her? 

dextervw
dextervw Reader

In reply to TurnerX19 :

WOW!!!  Now thats a story and a brilliant looking Mini!! 

dextervw
dextervw Reader

In reply to MattTheGrouch :

HI MATT!!! 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
1/6/21 10:46 a.m.

In reply to dextervw :

It's a surprise 30th bday present for my wife. So, SHH! 

MattTheGrouch
MattTheGrouch New Reader
1/6/21 10:58 a.m.

In reply to dextervw :

Hi David!!

MattTheGrouch
MattTheGrouch New Reader
1/6/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I love that menu mini! have fun with it. such a cool little car. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
odCeM0YrAiiNxml3zMqlISDQWdorTyCMCx6DXxKtAsf8bWpwbLpP5Z1UKBioffmS