maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/17/19 10:58 a.m.

Main goal of this car is the $2000 Challenge, so I won't do major work to fit into a particular class, but I'd like to have fun this summer and compete at local Solo events. I'm in the Atlanta region.

Looks like it may be eligible for XP, EM, or SM. Maybe more? Less?

Some key class-defining features:

• 3.5L 6 cylinder from a Nissan (same brand family as Datsun)
  • 2502 lbs without driver
  • 200 TW tires now, but open to buying A7's. 225 section currently.
  • Completely different suspension type and attachment points, front and rear. Double-wishbone front and rear, originally McP and solid axle.
  • 4 seats originally. Now only 2, maybe only 1.
  • Interior is complete except carpet

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
1/17/19 11:09 a.m.

The faster the class you choose, the less chance people are going to get annoyed and argue with you about classing.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/17/19 11:11 a.m.

X Prepared, I think.

I'm bummed that SM doesn't allow pickup point changes, and that there's no semi-open, CAM-type class for imports.

I think the pickup points are all you need to know to get thrown out of any street-related classes, but for clarity, how do you mean "interior is complete except carpet" AND "originally four seats, now two or maybe one"?

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/17/19 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Doesn't CAM still allow you to take the back seat out while requiring a "complete interior"?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/17/19 12:02 p.m.

I didn't actually change the pickup point locations relative to the subframe, I just welded in completely different subframes. Perhaps not the intent of the rules, but I did not modify any Datsun pickup points. I hacked them completely out!

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/17/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Without going back to the rulebook, I'm *pretty* sure that's not a loophole... 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/17/19 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

"Those *are* the stock suspension pickup points. Prove me wrong!"

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/17/19 12:12 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Ransom :

Doesn't CAM still allow you to take the back seat out while requiring a "complete interior"?

I honestly don't know. I don't think it matters in maschinenbau's case, as the subframe jiggery-pokery is a one-way ticket to the outer fringes and there's no CAM for Datsun. I do know that I was allowed to yoink my rear seat in Street Mod a few years back... So you may well be right.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
1/17/19 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think you mean "Those are some stock suspension pickup points." I think using the indicates they're the ones that left the factory on this car...

Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original
attachment points. Cars equipped with MacPherson strut suspension may
add or remove material from the top of the strut tower to facilitate installation of adjuster plate. The sides of the strut tower may not be modified.

The quote is from SCCA Street Mod, Alowed Modifications, 16.1.E., but it's a draft copy of 2017 rules because I'm undercaffeinated and can't Google. I think what you're after is somewhere in the rules where there is (or isn't) a definition of "suspension components". Is the subframe on down "suspension components", or does that only include the arms, links, uprights, etc... There are specific rules stating that you can bolt or weld subframe connectors in, but they can't tie the L and R sides together.

I'm so distant from being an authoritative voice, I'm going to stop before I start sounding like I'm really making a case for what IS. What I expect to be true is above, but my opinion matters not one whit.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/17/19 12:27 p.m.

The more I read the rulebook, the more it's looking like EM and nothing else, until CAM opens up to furrun cars.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/17/19 12:33 p.m.

Many regions have an X-class. This is often intended for Exhibition or said another way, "I'm here to play, not to win." 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/17/19 12:34 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

E Mod isn't that bad of a place to be unless Kiesel is in your region.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/17/19 12:38 p.m.

It's not a Datsun,

It's an Infinity with a Datsun dress on.

So what class would the infinity fall into?

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/17/19 12:39 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Many regions have an X-class. This is often intended for Exhibition or said another way, "I'm here to play, not to win." 

Winning is FTOD, everyone else is slow.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/17/19 12:53 p.m.
bentwrench said:

It's not a Datsun,

And that's the way to approach it. Just enter it as an Infiniti with body modifications

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/17/19 1:05 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
bentwrench said:

It's not a Datsun,

And that's the way to approach it. Just enter it as an Infiniti with body modifications

There is nothing wrong with this plan. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
1/17/19 2:56 p.m.

The AMC from the 2017 challenge was run locally in the X Prepared class. The first time we went to test/shake it down we ran in a group for times only (not classed at all). That allowed three of us to run the same car all day mixed in with other run groups. Check for that option if you are just on the test-n-tune side of the equation.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/17/19 8:31 p.m.

When in doubt, let the tech inspector assign your class, unless he won't.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
1/18/19 8:10 a.m.

What else runs in E-Mod besides Cobra replicas and hacked up Challenge cars?

Gimp
Gimp SuperDork
1/18/19 9:00 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

What else runs in E-Mod besides Cobra replicas and hacked up Challenge cars?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/scca-emod-mgb-gt-v12-build/26822/page90/

This is a Mod class car for sure.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:08 a.m.

I havent actually run with my local autox group in years, but if it were me id slap it in XP and be done with it.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
1/18/19 9:38 a.m.

XP. My subframe swapped 280zx will be playing there so yours should be fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0T2YKNOt6FnSFb0KU4zPbKQjK3O0M511gmkIEDPUnVhoqzw5ACLdn99HlLS1irtd