scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
9/14/20 10:43 a.m.

so this weekend i bought my daughter a cherry 2008 corolla

someone loved this car, superclean.  it even had expensive bosche wiper blades.

the only bad thing is the wheels look like hell. the previous owner took hte good wheels and good tires.

These are peeling and badly resprayed silver wheels with snow tires.  even if she gets new wheels she needs to save up for them. she is going to refinished them with me. (she is great)  we are thinking just polished and clearcoat.  but even if we paint they need to be stripped,  even if vinyl wrapped 

these look pretty easy not a lot of spokes etc,  sand smooth strip and polish.  (or strip, sand polish)

what is our favorites wheel stripper these days.  lots of sandpaper, palm sanders and mothers with a foam cone

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/20 7:20 p.m.

Just curious, how dug up is the aluminum? And thanks for making this a family project. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
9/14/20 7:26 p.m.

Have them media blasted (sand, grit, etc.) that will make them easy to repaint.

scooterfrog
scooterfrog Reader
9/15/20 7:10 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

moslty clearcoar issues and a bad respray

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/15/20 7:19 a.m.

I've painted probably 5 or 6 sets of wheels with some variant of Rustoleum High Performance Enamel at this point- if they're in OK shape I just scuff the clearcoat with a red Scotch Brite pad, wipe with acetone, and spray.  Those will probably require a little more work, but if you paint them a solid color I bet a few thick coats and some sanding will go a long way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RSPaiSwUj0Ox5WZOlxBlSsCa2Gl9WlirMUlAW8yzeFsUVN9ceRhv9rYz69VLGiw4