Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/3/23 6:16 p.m.

That is the new cage setup for the Crown Vic's. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/3/23 7:06 p.m.

+5 for the cages, but -10 for turning the B pillars into decorations at best.

Cages should complement the body structure, not replace it...

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
3/3/23 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I'm hoping that's an artifact of the incomplete and kind of E36 M3ty 3d scan and rendering of the cage, showing tubing thru where they had what looks to be incomplete data on their chassis' scan. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
3/3/23 7:45 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Andy - are you going to be there on the 31st? I'll be there with my FIL and Queso Kid 3. 

Indeed I will be!  We should link up and say Hi!  I'll likely be there with a few half drunk friends, so you may not want to sit with us in the stands. Lol!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
3/3/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The B pillars get completely cut out of 90% of the Vic's that race around here (for easier egress).  These are body on frame cars. The cage is welded to the frame if done correctly.  Also, I had the same concern when I first got into racing these boats. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/3/23 9:18 p.m.

Where does the seat mount?  If the cage is tied to the frame the seat should mount there as well, right?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
3/3/23 9:42 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Where does the seat mount?  If the cage is tied to the frame the seat should mount there as well, right?

Right. The cage has bars that go underneath and behind the seat to support/mount it. At least that's the rule in the circle track class, I don't know if Cleetus is doing that in his cars. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/3/23 10:38 p.m.

Glad for the improvement in the cages.  It looks like the main hoop is far back enough that Cleetus can fit in one comfortably.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
3/28/23 5:18 a.m.
adam525i
adam525i Dork
3/28/23 8:56 a.m.

I like how he casually mentioned they have a "Crown Vic Guy" now dedicated to working on these things.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/28/23 9:26 a.m.

I was wondering if they'd be more likely to repair them once they had actual cages in them.  Guess I have my answer.  I like that they'll be doing alignments on them, too.  So, now the biggest difference in performance will likely be related to rear end gearing.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/28/23 10:46 a.m.

Since we're done dumping on him, in another recent video, he casually mentions having a pilot's license, instrument rating, multi-engine rating, and helicopter license - and bought a plane. Dang.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/28/23 11:02 a.m.
kb58 said:

Since we're done dumping on him, in another recent video, he casually mentions having a pilot's license, instrument rating, multi-engine rating, and helicopter license - and bought a plane. Dang.

Not sure if he owns a helicopter; but, he def flew himself into the last Champcar race at PBIR last year via a chopper. Made quite the entrance.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/28/23 11:19 a.m.

Ah, small aircraft, the rich man's only natural predator cheeky

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
3/28/23 11:22 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Truth.  I've already seen a video of him showing off a trick landing on a tiny sandbar in a river.   Don't blow it Cleetus!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/28/23 12:50 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I avoid small aircraft like the plague. They seem like their main purpose is to get you off the ground high enough to kill you.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/28/23 12:50 p.m.

Also, those cage kits are sick.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/28/23 1:08 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Most of us pilots would prefer that people with that attitude remain on the ground.  Where they belong.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/28/23 8:23 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/28/23 8:25 p.m.
NickD said:
GameboyRMH said:

I avoid small aircraft like the plague. They seem like their main purpose is to get you off the ground high enough to kill you.

To be honest, I am shocked that Ken Block didn't die in a helicopter crash.  That seems to be the norm.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/28/23 8:54 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I guess I don't.  Would you be able to expand upon your statement to clarify?

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/29/23 12:02 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I guess I don't.  Would you be able to expand upon your statement to clarify?

Not even a little.  It was sarcasm.  It also mirrors the response I got for saying Cleetus' big motivation was to enrich himself.  He probably isn't good for private pilots, but I'm surprised you didn't get the same response that he is an awesome guy and you just don't get it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/23 1:06 a.m.

Ok. That makes sense.  I was super confused for a second. Better to ask for clarification than jump to (the wrong) conclusions.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/29/23 12:45 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:
GameboyRMH said:

To be honest, I am shocked that Ken Block didn't die in a helicopter crash.  That seems to be the norm.

I knew a retired Air Force colonel who had flown B-1 Lancers and had ejected from a fighter jet once. He refused to get onboard of helicopters, said they flew on Pure Berkeleyin' Magic and he didn't trust them.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/29/23 3:03 p.m.
NickD said:
GameboyRMH said:

FAA regulations for small aircraft and needing a different endorsement for anything over 200hp are weird too. I thought watercraft were expensive to maintain and operate. Once I started going after my private pilots license, I quickly realized aviation operations are clearly the winner of throwing money away. 

I'm sure he'll just pay off an IP for anything that doesn't require a special checkride. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qn58D0w04EWHi4c0wpP37HUtQ8wG8z28WxH1LWr0teTaXN5eLedQmeiuBEz4D9zw