greggotgame
greggotgame New Reader
5/13/13 6:23 p.m.

I have a 85 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE that I have been using for hillclimbs, but will be re-purposing for rallycross. I am about to tear into the LSD diff to rebuild it but do not know how tight I should set the brakeaway for rallycross. If I where still hillclimbing the car, I would shoot for 100 ft lbs. 50-60 is stock I am told. It seems to me at 100 ft lbs on dirt you would have mass understeer when you didn't have mass oversteer. Should I go with stock settings or less that stock... say 25-30 ft lbs? As it is right now, I have 6 ft lbs at brakeaway, but it still ends up spinnning both rears when launched even on slicks.

mw
mw Dork
5/13/13 6:43 p.m.

My guess is go with stock or a little stiffer. I don't think turn in will be hurt by those settings.

As a side note, I'm got the same diff in my dwarf car. Where are you getting your parts for rebuild?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/13/13 6:49 p.m.

Did you ask over at specialstage? In my real life dealings with rally guys I have talked to a bunch of former rx7 drivers. I would ask over there and see if I could find someone with actual experience.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
5/13/13 6:51 p.m.

mazdatrix sells rebuild parts http://www.mazdatrix.com/G8LSD.HTM

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
5/13/13 6:51 p.m.

I would go higher than stock. Mine is set around 100 ft lbs or so (not in a rx7)

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
5/13/13 7:39 p.m.

Mine is set to something ridiculous like 200+. I can't really check it, but it doesn't really break away.

EvanB's Miata turns in a lot nicer than my car.

greggotgame
greggotgame New Reader
5/13/13 7:47 p.m.

In reply to mw: like DaveEstey said mazdatrix is who I will be using for a parts supplier, You can get the Factory Sevice Manul fron foxed.ca it will give you all the specs and step by step instructions

greggotgame
greggotgame New Reader
5/13/13 7:48 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Will definatly check out specialstage thanks Mazdeuce

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
5/13/13 9:05 p.m.

Bear in mind that stage rally has much different priorities than rallycross. I tried using a stage rally like setup and the car was awful to drive on course. A good rallycross setup will end up being a lot more skittish but this just means that the car is more disposed to changing direction.

Also, if you're not a Mazdaspeed member, become one. The prices for diff rebuild parts (as well as everything else) are loads cheaper than Mazdatrix, or even dealer cost.

greggotgame
greggotgame New Reader
5/13/13 11:13 p.m.

Thanks for the tips I just finished filling out the app over at mazdaspeed. , In reply to Knurled:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JNZ5JCqbONHWzmgNJgtxYG84yfrR1Hg4beCGEhgPjn7UCoFmQ4YkjRVnKZ64aTjf