1 2 3
doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
1/28/14 10:13 p.m.

So suppose a guy was looking for a capable, reasonably comfortable, quick, manual trans, decently fuel efficient, good value car that's less goofy looking than a MS3? Why is Cobalt SS turbo >2008 not the answer?

They even have nice seats and an available actual LSD. 300hp is a tune and a couple bolt ons away. What am I missing? Please don't give me the plasticky interior line. They're way nicer than the Neon I've spent the last several months in.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/28/14 10:17 p.m.

Because WRX? IDK.....then again, I don't think the MS3 is goofy looking (well, only the smiley-face years are). I think the Cobalt SS is goofy looking. So YMMV, lol...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/28/14 10:24 p.m.

In reply to doc_speeder:

It's called "ricers". Sadly, most meet their demise at their hands. Beyond that, they are way overpriced for what you can get in other vehicle lines.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
1/28/14 10:32 p.m.

Really?

A quick search on Autotrader shows several 2009s for under $11k. Particularly some clean unmodded sedans. What is cheaper,faster,better for less? Not MS3 or WRX that I can see.

Let's be clear-I'm talking the turbo cars. Not the earlier supercharged models.

They did very well in magazine tests including the Lightning Lap tests fwiw.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/28/14 10:37 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: Really? A quick search on Autotrader shows several 2009s for under $11k. Particularly some clean unmodded sedans. What is cheaper,faster,better for less?

Nothing can touch it. They're a performance bargain. There's no reason you shouldn't test drive one . The earlier supercharged cars are an even bigger bargain.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/28/14 11:08 p.m.

get one... take all the stuff off it that makes it stand out to the general pulic as a fast car.. drive your newly anonymous compact super car in complete anonymity..

Desmond
Desmond New Reader
1/28/14 11:12 p.m.

Three words: Dodge Neon SRT4.

Haha, no it seems like the insurance on those particular cars were much higher than MS3 or WRX for whatever reason. Thats what strayed my friend from buying one. You might want to get a quote just to be sure.

sergio
sergio Reader
1/28/14 11:14 p.m.

For $11K it seems like you can't go wrong. I say go for it and give us a user road test after a couple months.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
1/28/14 11:32 p.m.

I liked them, but I needed back seats. I've seen several MS6's for under $10k but they were approaching 100k. It just looks like a regular Mazda sedan to most people... No scoops or goofy wings. AWD has been awesome the last couple of weeks.  photo MS6W2.jpg  photo MS6W3.jpg

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/28/14 11:43 p.m.

Because Cavalier. A lot of people thought they were just another Cavalier Z24. They are not. Buy it.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/29/14 1:17 a.m.

Does it have a front LSD? Probably not worth it to add one when you can get a Mazdaspeed 3 and a fwd turbo car without one is worthless IMO.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/29/14 7:56 a.m.

Yeah, Im in the "go for it" camp. I have really desired one for some time now. I had been seriously looking at a new Cruze Eco (turbo, 6 speed, etc) to replace my aging daily car. After my recent issues with GM in dealing with problems with our 3.5 year old GMC,Im seriously rethinking dropping the necessary coin for a brand new car, and instead am VERY interested in a SS Sedan. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. Make mine white please.

Snrub
Snrub New Reader
1/29/14 8:03 a.m.

LSD was an option.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/29/14 8:03 a.m.

If you can find one in your price range I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. Cobalts and Neons blow past me in packs all the time and the drivers seem relatively happy.

calteg
calteg Reader
1/29/14 8:08 a.m.

Do it. I want to say LSD was standard in the turbo cars, and optional in the s/c cobalts. The sedans were ONLY made in 2009, so they're pretty rare. When I last checked prices, they were hovering around $15,000. If they're closer to $10,000 now, that's a bargain!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
1/29/14 8:32 a.m.

I personally would have to get a sedan. And if the sedan is that rare and holding that kind of value I would go with either an MS3 or MS6 instead.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/29/14 9:40 a.m.

Ms6 is my dream in that price range and body style. Bulletproof DISI, awd, sleeper

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy PowerDork
1/29/14 10:03 a.m.

Why not? Because this has basically the same engine and transmission, a better interior, and is half the price?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
1/29/14 10:21 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Why not? Because this has basically the same engine and transmission, a better interior, and is half the price?

Half the price? That seems... implausible. Very few cars lose value like a recent domestic.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/29/14 10:26 a.m.

In reply to calteg:

I don't think the ATB was ever standard on them.

IIRC, the build tag should be in the trunk under the carpet. Check that for "G85" and you'll have a Automatic Torque Biasing unit(helical quaife/torsen style)......NOT A LSD!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/29/14 10:33 a.m.

Turbo sedan SS's are awesome. They slaughtered things way above their class in the magazine comparos. People just didn't want to own Cobalts. That's really the only thing against them.

Recaros, tuneable power, and yes factory LSD Quaiffe type setup was an option.

Most of the sedans haven't fallen victim to "ricers" but they also seem to hold a higher resale so deals on properly optioned ones are harder to find... people who ordered them that way knew they were in on the secret.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
1/29/14 10:33 a.m.
doc_speeder wrote: So suppose a guy was looking for a capable, reasonably comfortable, quick, manual trans, decently fuel efficient, good value car that's less goofy looking than a MS3? Why is Cobalt SS turbo >2008 not the answer? They even have nice seats and an available actual LSD. 300hp is a tune and a couple bolt ons away. What am I missing? Please don't give me the plasticky interior line. They're way nicer than the Neon I've spent the last several months in.

For the same price you can get an LS1/2 GTO. You'll spend the same amount in gas probably, have a nicer interior and some of the most comfortable seats for long trips.

11k is a lot of money, and I can think of dozens of cars I'd rather have before that one.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/29/14 10:42 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote: Why not? Because this has basically the same engine and transmission, a better interior, and is half the price?
Half the price? That seems... implausible. Very few cars lose value like a recent domestic.

But SAAB's do/did.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
1/29/14 10:46 a.m.

What I really liked about them was the handling. Heinricy and company did an outstanding job on the suspension tuning. Also the 4 door sedan is an amazing sleeper (kind of like my car).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/29/14 10:50 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:

"Very few cars" includes an orphan/dead brand that everyone is afraid of being able to get parts for.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
004dIoSACni5m6N2VN04d2qKI03FFrULMfgxiNPfzQQN1AmwzEIr8NfmRykb6T91