1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
2/17/15 8:30 a.m.
feature_image

Love cool cars and the people who travel with them? Join the Coker Tire and Classic Motorsports staff on the Coker Tire Tour on April 24. It’s a one-day vintage car convoy to the Classic Motorsports Mitty, one of the biggest racing festivals in the U.S. This event is for anyone with a classic car, …

Read the rest of the story

MattGent
MattGent Reader
2/17/15 8:40 a.m.

I can't make this tour but a few comments:

-Beautiful area for a drive! I have family there, we have toured around by motorcycle

-Mercier Orchards is a fantastic place for lunch. Great potato salad, and stock up on jams

-Coker is a cool company offering specialty items: they were the only place I could find an appropriate tire for my leaning sidecar project.

I don't normally shill for commercial ventures but this one sounds like a lot of fun

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
2/17/15 11:03 a.m.

Self-quote (because I was ignored)...

BradLTL wrote: So the email says no modern family car types need apply... What about a Lexus IS-F? It's sports cars-ish, muscle car-ish, modern family-ish.

Eh?

Ed Higginbotham
2/17/15 11:17 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

Hi Brad, sorry if your question was missed the first time. I just met with Rick to discuss exactly where we would draw the line on eligible cars. Bottom line, an IS-F would be fine.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
2/17/15 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

No worries. It was in a thread all by it's lonesome. :)

I'll drive at the back, so all the cool cars can play together (and make pretty pictures). Plus it'll be a great view!

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/17/15 3:17 p.m.

I am assuming that you are talking about the confirmation e-mail. Chances are my boring little insight would stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, I won't know if I can make it until the week of, is that going to be too late to work?

Ed Higginbotham
2/18/15 2:15 p.m.

Well, unfortunately, a Honda Insight falls into the category of cars that will not be approved for the tour. Got anything else you can bring?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/18/15 2:22 p.m.

I cant afford to drive my 66 Galaxie across country unfortunately.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
2/18/15 5:20 p.m.

Is there a max number of cars allowed? My work schedule is pretty unpredictable, but I notice the closin date is April 12.

Also would a 1976 Porsche 911 be eligible?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/20/15 8:33 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

That seems like a silly car request... If that doesn't work, I need to reevaluate.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/20/15 9:14 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:I couldn't agree more! But the other half of the question should still be answered. Is/what is, the max number of entries? Is the 12 April closing date solid?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/20/15 9:21 a.m.

Yeah, I would love to come (and am now really thinking about getting the Galaxie up for a cross country trip) but I won't know about coming until the week of the trip. My work is a little hectic at this time of year.

Ed Higginbotham
2/20/15 9:26 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

Yes, a '76 911 should be accepted, no problem. As for the max number of entrants for the tour, I actually haven't heard anything on that yet. Rick would hold that answer but he's out of the office finalizing the route for the Orange Blossom Tour today. I'll shoot him a text and get back to you.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/20/15 9:28 a.m.

Sounds like a lot of fun but I don't have anything that would qualify and is road worthy. Unless a 1989 Civic Si track car is classic enough. I know it's more of a Concourse Du Lemons car.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/20/15 10:25 a.m.

Well the Galaxie is getting refurbed now regardless of whether I can make it or not. Thanks for the motivation!

Ed Higginbotham
2/20/15 12:48 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Absolutely. The Galaxie would be awesome if it could make the trip.

And to answer the question on maximum entries, Rick says we don't have a maximum number right now, but if we are put in the position where we need to implement one, we'll let everyone know before we hit that number.

gunner
gunner Reader
2/21/15 4:45 p.m.

Sweet. Subscribed. I want to do this but have to get SWMBO approval. Working on getting a positive answer before spots are filled (In case that comes up). sounds awesome.

gunner
gunner Reader
2/22/15 10:35 a.m.

I have already planned to stop in Chattanooga for the night on the trip to the mitty for Thursday night. Is there a recommended place to stay there? Also since I already have a vip ticket can I give my spot in the corral and the touring lap and the friday ticket to someone else since I have those already?

tb
tb HalfDork
2/22/15 11:04 a.m.

This sounds like a lot of fun, but Chattanooga is a good distance out of the way for me. I like the idea but am firmly in the 'maybe' camp at the moment... pending approval of a restomoded '89 325i as acceptable.

Gunner has some decent logistical questions that I would love to hear the answers to when you have a chance to figure out all of the details. I already have both a VIP ticket and an infield camping pass so I am unsure about the value add of this package.

Will
Will SuperDork
2/22/15 11:52 a.m.

In reply to gunner:

Not sure if GRM has a host hotel planned, but there's a Staybridge Suites literally acoss the street from Coker, and other options downtown.

gunner
gunner Reader
2/22/15 3:43 p.m.

ok so I booked a hotel thats about a 10 minute walk from coker tires. should work.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
2/23/15 2:13 p.m.

In reply to gunner:

The host hotel for the Coker Tire Tour will be the Staybridges Suites. There should be a room block there under Coker Tire for that date.

Rick Goolsby
2/23/15 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Will:

You are correct Sir. Staybridge Suites is the host hotel and they have a room block under Coker Tire for April 23rd.

Rick Goolsby
2/23/15 2:17 p.m.

In reply to tb:

That BMW would be welcomed on the tour. The host hotel will be the Staybridge Suites next to Coker Tire headquarters. I did the route and it is still a good distance from the track to Chattanooga, so if it were me, I would stay in Chattanooga the night before and do the tour and then set up camp at the track.

Will
Will SuperDork
2/23/15 3:22 p.m.

I live just up the road a bit from Coker, so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Anyone who stays over the night before should go to Champy's for some fried chicken. It's just a short drive from Coker on MLK.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CBgtcY5xqZeOMGdv53fHkrCEIn0D3b7bQIy5YaJwbgs0pXv2p11z0HIxFWirwy1s