1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/4/17 8:37 p.m.

They made you pay for an accident report? Could you have gone to the station and gotten a copy, or did they explicitly state that was the only way to obtain one?

EDIT: I had to look it up. Dang.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/4/17 8:50 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: EDIT: I had to look it up. Dang.

Yep. Kinda rubbed me wrong, and it was only 16 bucks, but my feeling was that having been struck by an uninsured, unlicensed minor being pursued by two State Troopers in a high speed chase through a residential area, maybe I wouldn't have to pay for it. Trying to remain positive

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
1/5/17 5:57 a.m.

Pretty much all jurisdictions require you to pay for a copy of the police report, the fee ranges from $5 to $25 generally. And many of them now require you to order them online instead of going to the station to get one, especially for an auto accident.

You can ask your insurance company to reimburse you for it, they probably will. They likely ordered one themselves anyway.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/5/17 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

No Doubt that is true, Sir, just learning the new way in my usual slow, grumbly manner.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/11/17 8:34 a.m.

So, today is two weeks since the wreck. The car was towed to my insurance company's holding lot with my permission, and explicit directions that were it fixable, I wanted shop approval before any work commenced. And that's it. I haven't heard anything in two weeks-not a peep. I tried calling the adjuster's number I was given, and someone else's name was given on the message. I left a detailed message asking for an update. That was Monday, and now, as of Wednesday morning, I have still heard nothing. I talked to a buddy who worked for the same company in claims, and he supported the idea that this was getting to be a bit of a long time. I may try another call in a day or two, but if I haven't heard anything by Monday, I'm going to turn into a full time nagger.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/13/17 8:32 p.m.

Well, I finally heard from the insurance company today. It appears they towed my car to a holding lot in a county adjacent to mine before their local adjuster could get a look at it. According to my new claims person,they were understaffed during the holidays, etc. The adjuster in the adjacent county is supposed to look at it Monday. They expect it to be a total loss. I'm just relieved to have the lines of communication up and humming once again. That was sixteen days since the accident, with zero communication from them. I was trying to be patient, and only left two (un-returned -until today) messages.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
1/14/17 1:40 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: I'm going to turn into a full time nagger.

We prefer "Information-demanding Americans".

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/16/17 10:00 a.m.

Aaaand there you have it. They call it totaled. They wanted to nit-pick over some interior damage, mild dents and scratches. The payout of $6656, while on the lowish side, is about what I'd expect. Thread to follow on the topic of acquiring the new daily driver.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/16/17 10:18 a.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: I would have followed the perps to where they crashed. And I would have ensured that they DID need to leave in ambulances rather than cop cars. I am not kidding.

In which case, you would have been leaving in a cop car.

Glad the OP is OK.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
1/16/17 11:24 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Aaaand there you have it. They call it totaled. They wanted to nit-pick over some interior damage, mild dents and scratches. The payout of $6656, while on the lowish side, is about what I'd expect. Thread to follow on the topic of acquiring the new daily driver.

Don't forget it's negotiable! If you can find some Autotrader ads of the same year/make/model but for higher price, compile a list and email it to your contact. Worst case they just say no, and best case you get more money.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/16/17 11:46 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

You are correct, but I believe this is fair enough. It should be enough to get me a new daily driver. The truth of the matter is I used the car like a truck. I once hauled a 14' I-beam home in it, and there was significant wear and tear. It doesn't help that this is sort of like a modern Geo Metro to value. Almost all '09s seem to have about 150K miles. There is a wide price gap between perfect, and acceptable. I don't feel I'm loosing my shirt, my insurance sent me a letter saying accident forgiveness was going into effect, and frankly, It isn't worth it to me to fight over what I'm sure would only be a couple hundred bucks. Good enough, I'm happy. On to the next adventure.

Oh, and thanks for the advice. It means a lot.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/17/17 5:14 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Sorry to hear about the fit. I might be interested in the parts you hadn't gotten around to installing yet if they fit my '09.

PM sent. re: spare parts.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
1/18/17 2:53 a.m.

In reply to cmcgregor:

Yeah, my stupid email (yahoo)isn't letting the PM thing work. Let's try to get in touch in soon.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/18/17 9:00 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy:

Yeah, didn't get it. Collin.mcgregor at the googley place

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
4/12/19 5:19 a.m.

zombie canoe, post deleted

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/12/19 1:51 p.m.

When my '11 Fiesta got totaled the worst part was the paper work.   Various forms and title.   This after the agreed amount.  In other words I was selling them my car.    I received the check and made a down payment on a new car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ai9BiEgWzR7vkVm7g3OhhNdIH0hDjrDMYyZ1HevY7WTJzTZd4xVe31bsumoQ1g0s