1 2 3 4 5
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/20/20 7:34 a.m.

This is old but it never ever gets old:

https://youtu.be/3_o8EKijL2g

you can hear them progressing up through the years.  It gives me goosebumps and I’m not even a big Ferrari fan.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/20/20 7:37 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/20/20 8:48 a.m.
stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
10/20/20 9:59 a.m.

3-rotor RX8s battling 997 RSRs and C6Rs and BMW M6s on the high banks of Daytona while I'm lying in a tent in the infield is the best white noise I can imagine.  You wake up when the noise stops.  

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 10:45 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/20/20 2:55 p.m.

The Montreal isn't very fast, but the small-bore v-8 is heavenly.

Used to work next to Van Nuys Airport. Occasionally the P-51 Mustang club would do a low-level pass or two. five of those suckers at full song is a religious experience.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/20 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

In the late 80's we were in Memphis for the Memphis Belle rededication thingy. There were 11 B-17's and 2 B24's there flying and at midday they all took off and formed up for several flyovers. Hearing 40+ R1820's at song was defintely a religious experience.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/20/20 3:06 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

There's a guy in the pacific northwest who KLZE swapped a 944. I feel that'll be in your wheelhouse.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/20/20 3:09 p.m.

Alfa V6 or LFA get my vote. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/20/20 3:13 p.m.

Any group B rally car. Check please! yes

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/20 3:49 p.m.

If it's automotive I'd go Aston V12.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/20/20 3:52 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

A hot straight six sounds fantastic.

This.

All the various BMW M straight sixes.

Jag 3.8

Big Healey 6

Those Jeep sixes that the Argentinians build to the edge of their life

2JZ

RB

Straight 6 is where it's at. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/20/20 4:05 p.m.

anything equal length header

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/20/20 6:06 p.m.

I like American small blocks with non-crossed-over dual exhaust. My old 289 Comet with Flowmaster 40s, the smog era 350 swapped M715 brush truck with cherry bomb glasspacks, my friend's 4.6 4v Mach 1 with Spintechs. Those are my three favorite sounding vehicles ever. The 350 might just be the best though(outside the nostalgia). The cam is so mild that it will happily idle down to 400rpm. You can actually notice individual exhaust pulses. 

In reply to AxeHealey :

The only time I've heard my S52 at full chat from the outside was on a dyno so I also heard the echo out of the bay. Hearing the Vanos switchover at the top end was so deep and throaty and angry.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/20/20 6:16 p.m.
Munchen Fan
Munchen Fan New Reader
10/20/20 6:32 p.m.

No comparison to the BMW CSL going up the Nufenen Pass. All made possible by the carbon fiber airbox and euro spec headers unique to this model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gshHGe3Zczw

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/20/20 6:38 p.m.

More Nissan stuff, sort of.  

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza Reader
10/20/20 8:17 p.m.

The vtech engine note from a Honda B series gets my vote.  The K series is a better engine, and there are plenty of engines with far better exhaust sounds, but there's something about that B series pure intake sound that is unparalleled.  

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
10/21/20 1:39 a.m.

I always loved the IMSA GTP cars from the early 80s, seeing them going into a corner all nose to tail, Porsche 962s, Jaguar XJR10s, etc. with the flames coming out the exhausts under downshifting and braking and the snap-crackle-bam-bam-KaPow! sound they made.

Then there was the Alfa 8C I was following on the highway on the way to a track day at Laguna Seca, that sounded fabulous. Aat the track there was a guy in an F430 spider who by the last session of the day finally figured out what the car was capable of and I had to give him a point by on the main straight.  The sound of a Ferrari V8 going by you at full acceleration just a few feet away is heavenly.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
10/21/20 7:59 a.m.

Naturally there is a seat-of-the-pants feeling associated with it for me, but I find the supercharger whine of a Terminator Cobra absolutely addictive. MAN it's a motivating sound. I still get a rush, despite those cars being eclipsed in performance now. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqN5xLnYgc

The other day a GTP with a huge blower went by so I discovered that the whine has to be paired with a good exhaust note or it just sounds like your alternator is going bad. 

BTD
BTD Reader
10/21/20 2:06 p.m.

Hard to beat any small block Ford V8 with a cam in it: 

https://youtu.be/puLRJKT4uPQ

Nothing better, IMO. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/21/20 3:26 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Naturally there is a seat-of-the-pants feeling associated with it for me, but I find the supercharger whine of a Terminator Cobra absolutely addictive. MAN it's a motivating sound. I still get a rush, despite those cars being eclipsed in performance now.

A college friend of mine drives a 700whp Termi. I'm almost positive it's louder from the front end. It's fun standing at the 1/8th and listening to the suck/whine as it comes at you then the exhaust note as it passes.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
10/21/20 10:59 p.m.

Another vote for the Alpha V6.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGPMXHqZeuEE&ved=2ahUKEwiUpNuDpsfsAhWOrp4KHfKHBNUQwqsBMAN6BAgTEBE&usg=AOvVaw1L2jgtGpgSnoYlzRMELaue

Although I really want to go to the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton Alberta for the Lancaster run up.  4 Merlins should sound pretty amazing.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/21/20 11:47 p.m.

Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans with Dellorto pumpers and LaFranconi mufflers, I'm biased because I own one:

Aprilia RSV4 because: 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
10/22/20 8:14 a.m.

This will forever be my favorite sound. Especially in cold weather, and when it's a big chevrolet with a 4-7 swap cam. *Tim allen grunt noises*

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Se5fNRH7Siq8EcVcbwjSNXSvQSWAmnOkfhL1IefB3m5L8UhH6k7x09c7qrt4k9Kv