1 2 3 4 5
wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/6/20 11:20 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

I love the classic BMW Steelies.  I think an E46 M3 on something similar but wider would indeed be pretty slick.  Maybe they would look cool on my M2 . . .

Best to avoid steel wheels whenever possible.  I tested steel vs. alloy on one of my race cars. The steels flexed enough that you had to keep a tight grip on the wheel under very hard braking.  The same tires on alloy wheels allowed you to go straight in under full braking with your hands slightly off the steering wheel without any judder. And yes, I did check run out etc. on the steel wheels to be sure that wasn't an issue.

I ran magnesium alloy wheels on my race cars (I switched after ripping the centre right out of a steel wheel, leaving the wheel centre still tightly bolted to the hub) until I switched to exclusively vintage racing. Unfortunately the race car I was running had peg drive steel wheels so there was no alloy equivalent. Fortunately those particular steel wheels were much more stable in hard use than the bolt on ones that had folded up on me.

Besides, the original BMW wheels mostly look very good. I like the stock ones on my E86 more than I do any of the after market options I've seen (well, if a set of CSL wheels at a good price crossed my path I guess I'd be tempted....)

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/6/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

If I used them on the M2 it would only be for street use.  Maybe with a narrower tire and a taller sidewall.  It would be an aesthetic mod only :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/6/20 2:40 p.m.

I don't think steel vs alloy wheels are inherently any different in terms of stiffness. It's all about the design. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/20 9:38 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I admit, huge K1 fan here. Woody at Tire Rack knows all too well. 

David S. Wallens
12/6/20 9:39 p.m.

Speaking of steelies, Forgeline offers a forged aluminum wheel that doesn't look like one. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/20 10:33 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ouch, I knew Forgelines were pricey, but still.

~$6500 for a set of wheels. I'm trying to imagine how much money I'd need to have the type of car that I'd spend that much on wheels for!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/7/20 1:09 p.m.

I tend to be a function over form guy when it comes to wheels. I had a set of these. Not a particularly pretty wheel, but they are Center Line forged 15x7s. I've since traded them for some Challenge friendly tires and wheels for the drag portion of the competition, but I originally picked them up off FB Marketplace for $80 and they only weighed 11 lb. each ! They  would have gone nicely on my supercharged NB, but you know.....Challenge!

thashane
thashane New Reader
4/28/21 9:48 a.m.

TE37s were always my goto Gran Turismo wheel!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/28/21 10:02 a.m.

I saw a set of Watanabe rims for sale this morning. Seller must be pretty fond of them as the asking price was $4000.........no, that isn't a typo.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/21 10:12 a.m.

This is my driveway right now. 

And thats not including the collection in storage or mounted to cars. K1s and rota slipstreams on the neon, steelies and bullits for the duster, eagle billets on the half ton, rfp1 on the Miata.....

wheels are so much fun to restore, collect, and hunt. And can make or break the look of a car instantly in my eye.

David S. Wallens
4/28/21 10:18 a.m.

Watanabes are way, way cool but, yeah, not a cheap date. I have found myself looking more than once. Have you see that Black Racing seems to have a U.S. presence? 

David S. Wallens
4/28/21 10:18 a.m.
thashane said:

Never a wrong answer. Never. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/28/21 11:01 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Watanabes are way, way cool but, yeah, not a cheap date. I have found myself looking more than once. Have you see that Black Racing seems to have a U.S. presence? 

Never heard of them, and I like wheels with black centers and polished lips. Unfortunately, the sizes they offer that I'd use are all black. As an aside , I really like those "Camaroesque" body kits for Nissan coupes.

David S. Wallens
4/28/21 11:16 a.m.

At some point, we could start a whole separate discussion about eight-spoke wheels: Watanabe, VTO, Panasport, Minilike, Rota RB, Konig Rewind, Black Racing, Enkei Compe, etc., as each one has its own nuances. 

iansane
iansane Reader
4/28/21 11:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Those Mugen wheels would really look cool with a step-up 2pc conversion. Bring them into a 15 or 16" size.

David S. Wallens
4/28/21 11:33 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

Hmmmmm. Hello, Love20bee?

iansane
iansane Reader
4/28/21 11:34 a.m.

Also, watanabe-ish wheels are my favorite. I don't like the curved spokes a lot of them carry like the old xxrs. Straight spokes look best to me. Heck, I put them on my e30. It was hard getting a set in 17x9 that didn't have a  negative-elevetybillion offset.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
4/28/21 11:50 a.m.

I have two sets (15"& 16") of Rota RBs for my MINI and Miata and a set of Panasports  with a 4x108 bolt pattern. Bought them because they were cheap. I've never owned a car with that bolt pattern, but they look nice.laugh

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/28/21 1:05 p.m.

I have something like 8sets of Porsche wheels in my shed. Some of the 2nd Jen Fuchs with the polished barrels. A cool set of 3 piece dp rims that I really like.  Then there is the smattering of OE 928 s4, 924s 944 and 951 sets of various types and offsets.  I should pull them out and inventory them.  

Wheels use to be about weight and how much tire I can get under a car. Now it is about making me smile when I look at my car.  Sometimes you get both. That is a special moment for a car guy. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/28/21 1:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You want steelies on your BMW? Here are steelies.

Owner of this also owns an FM-built CA legal LS3 Miata that's just peeking in front of the clownshoe.

The license plate is gold

thashane
thashane New Reader
4/28/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Definitely inline with the mention of not being able to afford wheels - back in the day. Would probably spend more time choosing the digital wheel than trying to figure out how the exact amount of rear camber. Some good times with friends wasting our weekends on GT3 to finish the endurance races

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/28/21 2:12 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
thashane said:

Never a wrong answer. Never. 

Agreed. I still have a set of not-very-well refurbished TE37s despite not owning any car this particular set would fit.

David S. Wallens
4/28/21 7:49 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Gotta be prepared. And soon you'll see a GRM project car on some OG TE37s. Just waiting on tires. :)

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
4/28/21 8:27 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Corsa steelies. 

Geez, why are cool looking steel wheels $169 each?   (Because they can be...)

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
4/28/21 8:45 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
Keith Tanner said:

C'mon everyone, say it. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts.

This belongs on a T-shirt.

This belongs on a womens T-shirt

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d63AMPxqN4w7I4LcaMLjYgHwzI5eemxehiBB9ZhZc2b6wl76Sd1HQjpt34imTkQ3