1 2
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/5/16 10:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.
At least they wrote it X1/9. Maybe this should be the 8-6.

It worked for the 9-3's and 9-5's. This is a good idea.

For me reading about a Toyota 86 will be synononymous with an E36M3.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/5/16 10:17 a.m.

So it's like if, some years in the future, Ford were to introduce a new car called the "95" in reference to the SN95 chassis Mustangs. I would have called it a Celica.

I still want one.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
4/5/16 10:22 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Hey, the Fiat x-nineteen was a popular name.
At least they wrote it X1/9. Maybe this should be the 8-6.

would help, but people even refer to saab 9-3 and 9-5 as ninety three and ninety five. And porsch.

For kicks, I like to ask people from other countries to say their phone number. You can get some interesting results.

Like:

303-335-1000 = "three-zero-triple-three-fifty-one-thousand" What?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/5/16 1:31 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I can't quite believe Toyota isn't going to start the 86 run with a black and white car with a Trueno badge. The opportunity is HUGE. Are they so conservative they don't want to be somehow shown as supporting Street racing? Car commercials do stupid things all the time. Shoot a commercial with an 86 drifting down a mountain road. Boom, instant hype. And get Netflix to put the show back on dammit.

Scion did that basically for one of their first FR-S commercials:

2013 FR-S Teaser

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/5/16 1:45 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, it's not "eighty-six", as in "eighty-six that," it is "eight-six" as in "The eight-six is the king of the downhill on mount Akina."
Only about five people will call it an eight-six unless Toyota does a very good job of educating the masses.
Only about 95% will believe it's a predecessor unless Toyota changes it. Great car, absolutely ZERO in common with the name that built it. I can deal with the boxer motor, and I like the IRS, but dammit, it was a weird, clunky, origami shaped wedge and THATS what I wanted! Bring back the flip up headlights! Give me a squared hatchback! I wonder what an ACTUA! Modern 80's restyle of a car would look like? How successful are the throwback camaro and mustang and challenger? Compared to the charger? Charger sells to families. Not hot rod enthusiasts.
Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/5/16 1:46 p.m.

Just wait a few decades and there will be brand new factory versions of the 80s cars when the 80s kids are at retirement age

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/5/16 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Murphy:

That sounds awesome.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
4/5/16 3:16 p.m.

I'm so glad they're honoring Maxwell Smart with a car.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
4/5/16 3:22 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: The AE86 was never called the AE86 except by the sort of guys who read VIN tags, right? It had a normal name in the US, Corolla or something. I think it may have been called the Sprinter in Australia, but that name is taken now.
AE86 was the chassis code, much like NA6 (Miata), FC3S (RX-7), SW20 (MR2), etc. Corolla GT-S in the USA, Sprinter Trueno in Japan, but you could also get it there with fixed headlights as the Corolla Levin. They are cool but I'm not sure I'd be able to have much fun in one without a 20v or 4AGZE swap.

And AE86 was only the chassis code overseas. In the US, despite being roughly the same car, they were actually an AE88, a fact that most people miss. And the Corolla Levin was an AE85. On another note, I tried watching Initial D and absolutely hated it. And I love anime, so it wasn't that.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
4/5/16 3:44 p.m.
NickD wrote: And the Corolla Levin was an AE85.

Not quite. Sprinter Truenos and Corolla Levins with the 4AC were AE85s. AE86 was the signifier of the 4AGE in either model (trim levels GT, GTV, and GT Apex). This Levin has the VIN AE865073479 since it's an original 4AGE car, for example.

Also, some US cars totally had an AE86 VIN:

I agree on Initial D not being that great though. When I was 15 I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Tried watching again recently and it has not help up well (though Third Stage-forward is MUCH better than the first two seasons). Reading Over Rev or Wangan Midnight is a much better option if you're an otaku car nerd.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
4/5/16 3:49 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

I honestly don't care to watch anime (or any movies, really) about cars. I prefer my anime to be about giant mechs smashing the ever-loving E36 M3 out of each other or anything by Shinchiro Watanabe. The 2009 movie Redline by Madhouse (Not the live-action garbage from '07) was definitely interesting though

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/5/16 4:49 p.m.

I'm pretty sure for the US market, it went AE85 = DX trim, AE86 = SR-5 trim, AE88 = GT-S trim.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
4/5/16 7:54 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
NickD wrote: And the Corolla Levin was an AE85.
Not quite. Sprinter Truenos and Corolla Levins with the 4AC were AE85s. AE86 was the signifier of the 4AGE in either model (trim levels GT, GTV, and GT Apex). This Levin has the VIN AE865073479 since it's an original 4AGE car, for example. Also, some US cars totally had an AE86 VIN: I agree on Initial D not being that great though. When I was 15 I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Tried watching again recently and it has not help up well (though Third Stage-forward is MUCH better than the first two seasons). Reading Over Rev or Wangan Midnight is a much better option if you're an otaku car nerd.

Ah man, you gotta check out the new "initial D: legends" movies. They are updated dialog wise and have better (read- realistic) car terms. My person favorite jacked up line from the show "it's got the original 70's tires!" Ahem, should have said "it has the original 70 SERIES tires!"

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/6/16 10:13 a.m.

Capeta or eX-Driver are two of my favorites (besides Initial D) for anime car related shows... one is about the progression of a racer from kart to formula racing as he grows up and the other is about a special team in the future taking out or regaining control of rogue autonomous vehicles using 'antiques' (Caterham Super 7, Lotus Europa, Subaru WRC coupe/Lancia Stratos, and Ducati 900SS) - because they are not hackable like future integrated network vehicles. The OVA movie also features a modified MX-5 as the main vehicle.

Best vehicle audio track in anime goes to eX-Driver...mainly for that Ducati 900SS sound ... right up there with the Shelby Cobra GT500 in Gunsmith Cats. Initial D does have fairly good audio, but not quite the same.

Also, something actually relevant to this thread:

https://youtu.be/CJMBTGFqopI

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/6/16 10:25 a.m.

The best car related cartoon series is Speed Racer---- all others bow before Speed, Trixie, Spritle and Pops--- and of course Racer-X!

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth New Reader
4/6/16 9:35 p.m.

So with the subi flat 4 and the Toyota chassis its like Takumi's Hachi-Roku and his Dads Imprezza RS (I mean they were both Tofu delivery cars but you get the idea). For reference point to my nerdiness I was 14 when that show came out, 17 the first time I saw it and 35 when I saw the finale and yes I hate to admit but I have watched every stage. This might deserve its own thread.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/6/16 9:47 p.m.

eX-driver fan here as well. The vehicle dynamics are a bit off, but the characters look great and it's fun. In Initial D, only the cars look good. The people are just plain ugly.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/7/16 1:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: eX-driver fan here as well. The vehicle dynamics are a bit off, but the characters look great and it's fun. In Initial D, only the cars look good. The people are just plain ugly.

Initial D: Legend movies fix that though...

https://youtu.be/9py2OnojPz4

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
4/12/16 8:05 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

Nice plug for Agent 86, but I will wait for the "99".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u68dcKffCXOGtAizAetGRx4PyeBOya4xE87RTajwRcTF42up0wT5qgaSJhrJBjxq