2 3 4 5
MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/24/21 11:09 a.m.
z31maniac said:
bmw88rider said:

So question for the GRM team. How does the interior room compare to the previous generation? I'm really interested in one as my Track/Autox/canyon bomber car for next year and want to put in an order but am very long legged for my height. 

Considering it's basically the same chassis with an updated engine and different body panels, probably going to be close to almost exactly the same. 

I believe the car has a slightly longer wheelbase, which might translate into a marginal amount of extra room for taller drivers. Might not be enough, but if you could almost fit in the last car maybe it's just enough.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
9/24/21 12:17 p.m.

I kind of figured that would be the case but like miatas I fit so much better in the NA vs NB because they made the door panel a lot thicker in the NB. Just silly differences. Same with the Integra. DA was a much better fit for me then the DC. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
10/9/21 2:58 p.m.

Well. I'll be a new twin owner in January. I went with BRZ just because all of the toyota dealers suck. They all gave me this song and dance about markup blah...car shortage...blah hot model. I walked right out. 

So I walked down the street to the Subaru dealer and 5 minutes later, I got the order in $500 under MSRP because of a loyalty deal. So World Rally Blue 6 speed Premium is scheduled to be here the end of January. 

Looks like my summer will be full of burning tires, Autox at the Lincoln Air Park, and just driving the wheels off it. 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
10/9/21 3:34 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Congrats and you get aluminum knuckles compared to steel in the brz! win-win

lnlds
lnlds Reader
10/12/21 10:30 a.m.

Also good news for those that need an automatic--Power was essentially identical when they dynoed the automatic. Still 209 whp.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/12/21 11:56 a.m.

In reply to lnlds :

On one hand, I kind of liked that the manual models got a little more horsepower–like a reward for not choosing the auto–but on the other hand, it kind of punishes those who wish they could drive a manual, but can't for whatever reason.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/12/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

can drive a manual, I prefer automatics because I feel they are faster in normal use.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
10/12/21 1:20 p.m.

My toys are all manuals. So the BRZ I ordered is a manual. This is an old school Auto and really not that good from everything I've seen on it. 

Now I know with a few tweaks, my DSG Golf R DD will smoke it but I just wanted the BRZ for one reason....track day, Autox fun, and engaging back road drives. 

More I see on it, the more I made the right choice. Now can my car just show up?? haha. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/12/21 1:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

can drive a manual, I prefer automatics because I feel they are faster in normal use.

I can remember a time when this wasn't true.  Now automatics shift better than I can.  I still like driving a manual though....

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
10/12/21 2:25 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to lnlds :

.... it kind of punishes those who wish they could drive a manual, but can't for whatever reason.

Well, let me put it this way, and I have before; in fact, I credit it for the sale of my Focus a few years ago (probably should've kept that car... oh well...):

If you can't drive a manual, put your big boy pants on and learn - if my teenage daughter can shift for herself, so can you. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/12/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

there are physical restrictions that make it impossible for some to "put on their big boy pants and learn". So it's not just that easy. 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
10/12/21 4:19 p.m.

There are some folk that physically can't drive a manual anymore. I remember a few threads where members had to make the switch due to an injury (knee/back) or other reasons than not knowing how to drive stick.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/12/21 4:59 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

I wore out my left knee driving a manual transmission that needed to be shifted every few seconds, even driving at a steady speed.  (Engine does NOT cruise.  It is only happy when loaded, so you are always shifting to 5th for a couple seconds to accelerate, shifting to neutral for a few seconds to coast back down, etc)  

Fortunately, I've found some clutches that are light enough to be workable.

But still, driving around town accelerating 0-35? Automatic wins every day.  Can be halfway across an intersection with an auto before I'm done engaging the clutch with a manual.

If I'm plunking down $30-40k for a new car, that sucker's got to earn its keep.  Have enough cars that only get driven 1000-3000 miles a year.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
10/13/21 11:56 a.m.

The reality is that most people who wish they could drive a manual but can't are those who've never bothered to learn. 

And they'd rather punk out and run a slushbox than learn.

I've had several instances where I was physically unable to drive a manual for a couple months at a time, so that part I understand.  

And I've done traffic in a manual, doesn't matter if it's SoAZ or SoCal, not that big a deal to me.  YMMV.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
10/13/21 4:28 p.m.

how dare you make a comment that applies to the overwhelming vast majority. I couldn't at all tell that your aim with that comment wasn't aimed solely at the disabled and handicapped. Next time do better and think of every possible scenario there is and make a disclaimer that your comments were clearly not towards them!!!!!!!

the obnoxious virtue signaling on this board is insane.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
11/18/21 7:59 a.m.

So interesting test results from the C&D and MT. Both clocked a sub 5.5 0-60 and 14 second quarter in their rounds of testing. Not too bad at all. Also just under 1G on the skid pad but that's not too surprising with the PS4's on it. It'll be interesting now c Street or B Street. 

Mine is being build right now. Should be here in December.  Can't wait. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/21 8:36 a.m.

I'm trying to decide between a Neptune Blue, Premium, GR86.......because the color and ducktail spoiler bring out my inner ricer. 

Or Red, Limited, BRZ because I think it looks really classy. And any work done under warranty, I trust the Subaru techs more on that engine. 

Keep in mind, the trim levels are stupid between the two cars. 

GR86 - Base, Premium
BRZ - Premium, Limited

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/21 8:37 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

So interesting test results from the C&D and MT. Both clocked a sub 5.5 0-60 and 14 second quarter in their rounds of testing. Not too bad at all. Also just under 1G on the skid pad but that's not too surprising with the PS4's on it. It'll be interesting now c Street or B Street. 

Mine is being build right now. Should be here in December.  Can't wait. 

That's pretty impressive. E85 tune, nice coilovers, wide sticky tires, and an exhaust will be a fantastic car just like my '15 BRZ. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/18/21 8:47 a.m.
rslifkin said:
z31maniac said:

And again, the Toyota/Scion version has a better front fascia than the BRZ.

Interesting.  I like the BRZ front end better this time around.  It's a little bit Porsche-like, while the grille on the Toyota version looks a little bit flat to me, almost like it got punched in the face. 

I'm just happy it's an actual grill opening, and not an oversized fake.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
11/18/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

How soon do you want the car? the 86 is still vaporware at this point. No final pricing, can't order it yet and no production date. A BRZ ordered today is looking at a FEB delivery. 

thashane
thashane Reader
11/18/21 9:13 a.m.

Fingers crossed for "a little" more cabin room. I really struggle with buying a new car, that Ill have to yank the seat out to comfortably sit in. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/21 9:52 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to z31maniac :

How soon do you want the car? the 86 is still vaporware at this point. No final pricing, can't order it yet and no production date. A BRZ ordered today is looking at a FEB delivery. 

Pricing has been announced and the configurator is live, with the additional accessories like a powered sub and Toyota dealers are taking deposits. 

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/build/step/model/year/2022/series/86/

A deposit on either right now will still likely mean a February/March delivery or probably even later. There are guys that ordred Subarus back in August/September that still don't have theirs and are getting the delivery dates pushed back.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
11/18/21 10:13 a.m.

Mine got moved forward 1 month actually. It was originally suppose to be in January. 

Interesting on the GR86 as my friend last week tried to order one and the dealer told them they couldn't and the configurator wasn't up online yet. They may just be uninformed as this is not the key sports car location. This is Rav4 country for sure. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/18/21 10:27 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Mine got moved forward 1 month actually. It was originally suppose to be in January. 

Interesting on the GR86 as my friend last week tried to order one and the dealer told them they couldn't and the configurator wasn't up online yet. They may just be uninformed as this is not the key sports car location. This is Rav4 country for sure. 

Configurator just went live "officially" last night or today. But that link has been working since Monday. Really just have to decide which color I want. And it's a really hard choice. The below forum has all the scoops, including the rear may not allow as much tire as the 1st gen, which is a disappointment. First gen you could do 18x9.5 ET 38, 255/35 without needing to touch the fenders. 

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/

I know I've said I want to wait on the Z or STi, but I know in my heart of hearts I'm not really going to drop $45k+ on a vehicle. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/18/21 10:25 p.m.

Oof; I'm so tempted by the GR86...it looks awesome! But then again, my FR-S I've had since new is also still pretty awesome, and it is in my driveway right now and paid off, so there's a lot to be said for sticking with what I have for now.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yIO5l1BhNWynxzMWoC5WM76gIclrswekrLsjBa9lL5jAkLLjX6loVdH5LFhtHtQo