1 2 3
SamSpeed
SamSpeed New Reader
3/17/22 3:37 a.m.

The Camaro I was testing yesterday had some Engine failures. Now I draw my attention at 3rd gen Firebird 3,1 V6, 80k miles. Hope That car will be better. Has been new painted 8 years ago, no rust (the owner said) 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/17/22 6:01 a.m.

I've always wanted a late 4th gen Bird, but really don't want to pay late 4th gen V8 prices.  I know the 3.8 isn't a tire smoking monster, but relatively speaking how is the power if I got one with a 6spd?  Are they quick-ish?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
3/17/22 6:43 a.m.

The 3.8 came with a 5 speed.

iansane
iansane Dork
3/17/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

They're no powerhouse by todays standards but with 200ish hp they're still pretty fun. A 4thgen v6 is probably faster than most 3rdgen v8s.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/17/22 11:09 a.m.
iansane said:

They're no powerhouse by todays standards but with 200ish hp they're still pretty fun. A 4thgen v6 is probably faster than most 3rdgen v8s.

Likely true.

Also I'd still get a V8 because I wouldn't keep it stock, and the rest of the stuff works better.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/17/22 11:32 a.m.

Years ago when I first started autocrossing, I stumbled on an ad for an ex-Sam Strano 3rd gen Camaro built to competitive (at the time) ESP specs.  While I have never really been an F-body guy, that was a cool looking car.  Being an 80's kid, I've always liked the 3rd gens more than the 4th gen cars, although I accept the latter are better cars.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/17/22 12:15 p.m.

I've liked mine for 39 1/2 years.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/17/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I miss my 4th gen LT1, but i'm in love with your 3rd gen..  laughyes

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/17/22 5:19 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Parts will be available for all of them, but you can probably imagine that the newer model years are more likely to have parts on the shelf instead of "we can get that for Monday if you'd like to order it."

A lot of stuff for 4th gens is long gone and the aftermarket has not picked up.

You know how hard it was to find a shift arm for a 4th gen's 4L60? Discontinued, aftermarket has not picked up.

Steering shafts: Discontinued, aftermarket has not picked up.

Torque arms and rear control arms:

Etc.

They also had pretty severe rust issues, the rear thrust loads went into the tub in an area with flat sheetmetal, so it would oilcan ever so slightly, which worries away the paint, so it rusts hard there, and did I point out that the rear thrust loads go in there?  Depending on your location, you may not find them in junkyards anymore to get those NLA parts.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
3/17/22 8:52 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Years ago when I first started autocrossing, I stumbled on an ad for an ex-Sam Strano 3rd gen Camaro built to competitive (at the time) ESP specs.

The purple car?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/18/22 7:46 a.m.
GCrites80s said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Years ago when I first started autocrossing, I stumbled on an ad for an ex-Sam Strano 3rd gen Camaro built to competitive (at the time) ESP specs.

The purple car?

Maybe? I seem to remember it being maroon or something, but it's been over a decade. I do remember the asking price being quite reasonable, but unfortunately more than I could afford at the time.  Plus, I was neck-deep into a perpetually broken E30 at the time.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
3/18/22 11:52 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I've liked mine for 39 1/2 years.

Back in the '90s I could already tell the brown 3rd Gens were an endangered species. There weren't that many to start with and people were painting them black left and right. A buddy of mine got a brown V6 one in 1995 I think and started talking about painting it black almost immediately. I had (have) a black 3rd Gen so I was already cranky about him trying to copy my car. Plus knowing that the brown ones were scarce. He painted it black anyway.

SamSpeed
SamSpeed New Reader
10/15/23 4:33 a.m.

Hello again,

Some time has passed and I have found my "dream" 4th gen Camaro, and I am thinking about to buy it.

It is 2001 model, silver (love this color) and has about 57k miles and is rust free.

Well, what about rust? We have 2023. Are that cars really so prone to rust, as Pete says?? What a pitty, I like that cars really.

Also, aftermarket really that bad? Someone else has experience? Love that car, don t want to buy a Corvette instead.

Best Regards

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/15/23 8:39 a.m.

I sometimes miss my 83 FB.  Absolute bottom of the barrel optioned 2.8l 5 speed car. Power nothing no ac. It had a rear defrost and that was it. Manual windows and a tin top.  I added as much lightness and the biggest stickiest rubber 245 in the front and 255 in the rear.  I could on the lightest rims I could find.  One of the funnest slow cars I have ever owned.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
10/15/23 10:48 a.m.

I had an 84 Camaro in the Navy and loved it.  Mostly bought because my HS friend had a 70 that I admired.  I ended up with another 84 that had AC as an option because I moved to New Orleans after the Navy.  Loved it too.

For curiosity I sat in a 5th? at a new car show and couldn't believe how little visibility there was, all the way around.  Like tank slits.  (I'm tempted every time an IROC shows up on Marketplace or BaT.)

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
10/15/23 12:53 p.m.

I agree that the third gen was best looking.  I don't really like the 4th gen looks much at all.

There is nothing wrong with the early 4th gen engine - they used the 3.4 60 degree V6.  I get around 200 bhp out of  mine with mild tuning in an MG based car I have and they are very compact (which matters a lot in an MG but bot so much in a Camaro).  The 3.8 has more potential, particularly if you look at a turbo, but OTOH I got c. 300 bhp out of a 3.1 60 deg. engine and that might be enough?

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/16/23 10:51 a.m.
SamSpeed said:

Hello again,

Some time has passed and I have found my "dream" 4th gen Camaro, and I am thinking about to buy it.

It is 2001 model, silver (love this color) and has about 57k miles and is rust free.

Well, what about rust? We have 2023. Are that cars really so prone to rust, as Pete says?? What a pitty, I like that cars really.

Also, aftermarket really that bad? Someone else has experience? Love that car, don t want to buy a Corvette instead.

Best Regards

If the body of the car is good, I would not be concerned with rust. Just don't drive it when the roads have been salted. An oil based under coating will help too, I like Fluid Film myself. Pay close attention to the area where the rear control arm mounts to the body. Two layers of steel are welded atop each other and water/salt gets in there and causes rust, badly.

Aftermarket support is good for these cars, the engine and transmission were used in many,many GM cars so parts are easy to get. Other mechanical parts may need to be ordered and take a few days, but will be available. Special body and interoir peices can be tougher to find, but are out there in the used market.

SamSpeed
SamSpeed New Reader
10/18/23 6:05 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Thank You so much für Your reply! That was the information I was seeking for. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
10/18/23 6:38 a.m.

I hope that you are able to lock your deal down on the 4th Gen. 

They are fun and attractive vehicles. 

Remember to keep us updated!

SamSpeed
SamSpeed New Reader
11/8/23 8:50 a.m.

Hallo guys. 

I ended up with a C5 Corvette as it has only 13000 miles and looks like new car inside. 
The 4th Gen Camaro had several leakage and decent rust at underbody. 
And there is sadly NO 4th Gen here in top condition for sell. But I love that Corvette!

Thank you all for your support! 

GCrites
GCrites Dork
11/8/23 10:26 a.m.

Garaging Advantage: Corvette

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
11/8/23 2:41 p.m.

C5 for the win.

Clean and apply anti rust on all 9 grounds ASAP.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
11/8/23 3:26 p.m.

Corvettes can rust too...

They just hide it a lot better and when you do find it, it's always bad.

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
11/8/23 4:24 p.m.
iansane said:

Indeed I tested that theory out in the summer of 1999 in a street race with the v6 Firebird I was doing the pre delivery inspection on vs some random dude and the theory is correct. I was sad to win :(

Now while not fast, and not as bulletproof as the 3.8, I spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a 95 Camaro with the 3.4 and a 5 speed and it was fun, too

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
1/5/24 2:41 p.m.

Congrats on the C5!

I found the right deal on a Gen 4 Camaro convertible with the 3.8L V6 and I'm very impressed with it.  The seats support me perfectly and so far it's been easy to work on.  Only a few maintenance items that I did myself in my garage.   It's just a used car to me and I really like driving it.

Happy motoring everyone!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j7r2MGSjaSFYS4rEcsytC6399lnoWcEBmEektnwoY6K6fLSd9NQ35v4zI2WOrgxO