4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/4/10 1:41 p.m.

So my exhaust began to droop recently on my 99 Infiniti G20 dd, causing the most annoying rattle on a crossbrace as it swung around under the car. I purchased 4 new hangers from the autoparts place, and installed them. About a week later, the rattle comes back, so I take the hangers back along with a receipt and the guy says "yeah, these are cheap, and known to fail quickly, try these..." and gives me a different set by a different mfr. So I put them on and sure as heck, they fail after about 2 weeks, and now I have the rattle again...what to do?

ive never heard of this issue before, but I know that exhaust hanging can be an art if you wan to avoid having 50 hangers all over the place.Should I purchase some for a larger vehicle like a truck or something? My exhaust is not running hot or anything. The repeated failure is an odd problem Ive never dealt with before...typically its a quick fix, so the persistence of it is puzzling me. Please help...I guess

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/4/10 1:47 p.m.

Is it something you can make a solution for? Try some hole/hanger strip and bolts in place of the el cheapo part.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/4/10 1:51 p.m.

yeah, I thought of that - the problem is that theres no room under there for oddball stuff. In its normal position, the exhaust hangs just about 1/2" above the crossbrace, so if its not a stock fit, It either rubs the floorpan or hits the brace.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
8/4/10 1:53 p.m.

Get hangers with embedded metal in them. A rubber donut sure won't hold up the exhaust on my mercedes, I changed to ones with metal chain in the rubber and haven't had any more issues. I fought this problem for ~6 months before getting the heavy duty hangers at 17$ each.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/4/10 2:01 p.m.

how much for mounts from infinity?

Powar
Powar Dork
8/4/10 2:19 p.m.

Zip ties are doing a great job of 'locating' the exhaust on my girlfriend's c900. The hangars weren't quite tight enough to keep the muffler from banging on the trunk floor. Zip ties gave just enough extra holding power to stop it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
8/4/10 2:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: how much for mounts from infinity?

X2

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
8/4/10 3:32 p.m.
Powar wrote: Zip ties are doing a great job of 'locating' the exhaust on my girlfriend's c900. The hangars weren't quite tight enough to keep the muffler from banging on the trunk floor. Zip ties gave just enough extra holding power to stop it.

Bailing wire works too. How ghetto, I mean "grassroots," do you want to get?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/4/10 4:05 p.m.

coat hanger bent into position?

I used a single ziptie on my saab too, but only to hold the rubber hanger in place as the metal locking clip vanished

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
8/4/10 6:25 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
mad_machine wrote: how much for mounts from infinity?
X2

x3

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/4/10 6:28 p.m.

Infiniti hangers=$23=BOO! Plus they are out and wont be in for 5 days...I will likely be certifiably bonkers by then if I cant make the rattling stop.

Tell me more about these metal embedded hangers...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/4/10 7:23 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: yeah, I thought of that - the problem is that theres no room under there for oddball stuff. In its normal position, the exhaust hangs just about 1/2" above the crossbrace, so if its not a stock fit, It either rubs the floorpan or hits the brace.

Any other magic I usually employ involves a mig and a few bits of threaded rod.

I've made homebrew "strain relief" for a rubber donut by restricting the travel with aircraft cable. The kind with the green plastic wrapping doesn't rust. Yes, its ghetto... but its also less than $3.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/5/10 6:14 p.m.

i could use a mig. i bought a bottle jack and jackstand, and crawled under...both hanger tabs on the mid section rusted off, hence the excessive sag and stretchiness of the replacent hangers. i just suspended it back up with heavy duty banding...good as ne now that i have room with those pesky stock bits out of the way

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QVlZPwqkCS3bJgsRO2Hz18tVp6N4gr1Mg67MJQhc8wDzP64THVbOIQyIIjtp4xCC