1 2
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/3/11 5:46 p.m.

drats...nice detective work though. A+ for effort!

oh, and God told me you guys were off the hook, he hadnt had a chance to look the truck over because he was busy talking some guy in Cinci into a celica Challenge car.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
2/3/11 6:37 p.m.

Yep, old Mopar, they leak.

Transmission fluid is cold, doesn't work well. Especially if it is old, cheap and hasn't run in sometime.

Get it warmed up and adjust the bands, change the filter and it will be happier.

727's are cheap if it truly is knackered.

Similar deal with the carb. Clean it up, adjust it properly and you'll be happier.

Or toss a 4-bbl on it, seal the valve covers, STFU and drive it. It will be happy to be driven again. Grandpa's old truck was the same way. Sat around for months at a time and would be a PITA to start the first few times (typically stalled fairly often) transmission would be slow to work, etc. By the end of the day's usage it would start and shift much more reliably.

The rest of the information from the seller is pretty screwed up and I'll say that it would make me leary. Probably best for your friend to walk away from. If he's that gunshy about working on cars, then point him to the nearest car dealership and have him lease or buy something with a warranty.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/4/11 7:39 a.m.

I put a shift kit in my 727 on the '52 Dodge. Frikkin thing would chirp the 32" tires going into second. It's inexpensive and as easy as changing the filter.

I'd love to own this one.

Dan

LordTurbonia
LordTurbonia New Reader
2/4/11 9:38 a.m.

Talked it over a bit more. Gave the roommate my advice, which was to either make the guy get a tuneup and trans service before buying, or to price out a trans and 4 barrel (worst case scenario) and take that money off the top.

We'll see if the price goes down. Still looking for other trucks, though.

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
2/4/11 10:02 a.m.

This thread caused me to look around locally. Ran across a 40 year old 4x4 with bad pictures and described as "has some rust" which in my area usually means "the junkyard charges you to take it".

But I was intrigued by the other specs and reasonably low price... so I called.

Guy says he thinks the rust is potentially fixable (ugh...)and will forward me pictures of it. The detailed pictures I get show one of the most rust-free trucks I've ever seen!!!

Seller also makes the mistake of telling me he's sold the business and has to have everything gone in two weeks...

Going to see it this weekend...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/4/11 10:17 a.m.

The truck is now listed as "needs more work" and the price went down by $100.
http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2196318928.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/4/11 10:22 a.m.

I would try to talk him down a bit more. I am willing to a bet with a tune-up it will be fine.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/4/11 10:24 a.m.
Ignorant wrote: for $500 more than that guy is asking for that truck, I bought a 96 civic hatch with 60k miles on it 5 years ago. Average maint cost per year since buying it has been less that $200.. That includes brakes all around, tires all around, a timing belt/water pump, an alternator, and a battery. Mileage is awesome. It has A/C but power nothing(not even power steering). Insurance is cheap...

How the hell did you score that? My 96 cost $4000 when I bought it and my '93 cost $3400.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
2/4/11 11:03 a.m.

This thread also made me start looking, even though I can't afford another vehicle right now. There's a really clean silver 87-88 W150 4x4 with 70,xxx original miles, complete with the "child molester" cap with the western style pinstripes on the bubble windows on my local CL for only $2800/b.o.

I want it. BAD.

And that cap would go first thing!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I92BrYzo0oUGcPVfBUOW48iGNxCyQAHJLiDrDHN88cdC1HKS1rVeybcYZbdF7FcV