1 2 3 4 5
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/18/09 11:37 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote: By far is the Chrysler 265 hemi from it came in the awesome Chrysler Valiant Charger. Find out more!

Damn Aussies. They get ALL the good stuff.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
6/18/09 11:49 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: Triumphs's inline six was great despite its many faults.
And sounded GREAT!

I had a 71 mustard yellow TR-6, It did sound fantastic and the motor made nice power through the rev range. The SU's were fussy and inconsistent was the only downside. The car would get 26-28 mpg going 80 ish. I like the lines of the car still.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
6/18/09 3:48 p.m.

Here's a Slant Six I'd like to play with:

Greg55_99
Greg55_99 New Reader
6/18/09 5:52 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Here's a Slant Six I'd like to play with:

Never saw that before. What is it?

Greg

11110000 Reader
6/18/09 7:09 p.m.

I may be partial, but the Volvo B30 was a sweet inline six. In the days before CAD, Volvo engineers built the first prototype with the block thinner than it needed to be. They ran it, took note of where it broke, then beefed up those areas. The result - a (relatively) light, strong motor.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/18/09 8:33 p.m.

I wonder if the B30 was the 6cyl cousin of the B20. All I know is my pops had a b20 in his 1970 p1800 and that engine was really cool. I think it was a pushrod engine that could rev to like 7800rpm and put out 140hp, those are modern numbers for a funky old car.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 Reader
6/18/09 8:46 p.m.

I've always thought a Toyota 1G-GE would be nice to drop into something older, RWD, and fairly lightweight. It was developed around the same time as the infamous 4A-GE and has similar features and architecture, except being a 2-liter straight six instead of a 1.6-liter four. Toyota offered N/A, twin turbo, and supercharged variants, all of them EFI, DOHC and multivalve.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
6/18/09 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Shaun:

I believe a 71 TR-6 would have had Zenith-Stromberg carbs, not SU's.

SU's, once set, are not fussy at all.

Carter

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
6/19/09 9:00 a.m.
Greg55_99 wrote: Never saw that before. What is it?

Someone experimented a with sectioned 3rd generation Hemi head mated to a slant six block.

Double Rocker Arm Shaft Head

efi_diy
efi_diy None
7/20/09 10:59 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Well there are some parts available for the trailblazer/envoy votrec 4200...

Turbo manifold - www.steedspeed.com camshaft blanks - www.emtechmotorsports.com rear sump oil pan - emtechmotorsports.com

Kooks is working on a header for them.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
7/20/09 11:17 p.m.
erohslc wrote: In reply to Shaun: I believe a 71 TR-6 would have had Zenith-Stromberg carbs, not SU's. SU's, once set, are not fussy at all. Carter

right you are, I remember the name now. They were fussy- especially at and around idle.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/20/09 11:19 p.m.

already been voted but coolest inline 6 ever has to go to 2jz gte (supra)

My vote for second coolest goes to two way tie,3.2 L S54 (m3) and RB26dett (GTR)

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
7/20/09 11:31 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: I've always thought a Toyota 1G-GE would be nice to drop into something older, RWD, and fairly lightweight. It was developed around the same time as the infamous 4A-GE and has similar features and architecture, except being a 2-liter straight six instead of a 1.6-liter four. Toyota offered N/A, twin turbo, and supercharged variants, all of them EFI, DOHC and multivalve.

Everywhere but the US, the 1G is a really popular swap into 1st-gen Celicas. From what I understand, the motor mounts are identical to the R-block, and it bolts right up to the tranny.

It's way too costly for what you get to import one, though.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/21/09 12:03 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Chevy 230, but I'm biased. My best friend's dad in high school had a 65 Nova wagon with a built 230 with dual carbs. I've never seen anyone shift a 3 on the tree so fast before or since.
I'm not sure if it was a great engine or not, but I had a '64 Chevy pickup with a 230 and three-on-the tree. I really loved shifting that thing. But what I really wanted to swap in was the Chevy 292 "Hi-Torque", with the same three speed transmission.

friend of mine in high school had a 3/4 ton 56 chevy truck that was originally special ordered with the 292 (i think it was that one) that was normally only available in a dump truck or something. he bought it out of a field for like 300 bucks and rebuilt the motor, that thing was a beast

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 6:23 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: I've always thought a Toyota 1G-GE would be nice to drop into something older, RWD, and fairly lightweight. It was developed around the same time as the infamous 4A-GE and has similar features and architecture, except being a 2-liter straight six instead of a 1.6-liter four. Toyota offered N/A, twin turbo, and supercharged variants, all of them EFI, DOHC and multivalve.

1GGTE is a halfway common swap into AE86s.... it's awesome.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/21/09 11:25 a.m.

No one's mentioned the Pontiac SOHC aluminum I-6? Cool with a 4-bbl and mated to a 4-speed like in the 69 Firebird Sprint. Still want one, especially after I seen a original owner one several years ago. Homologated for TransAm.

Treb
Treb New Reader
7/21/09 2:17 p.m.

The Jag inline sixes are just about the coolest motors ever.

Introduced in the XK-120 -- at the time, the fastest car in the world. (As Top Gear put it a few weeks ago, it was like buying a Bugatti Veyron for the cost of a 5-series) Stayed in production about 40 years, powering multiple LeMans winners, several contenders for the sexiest car ever made, and even a british army vehicle (personnel carrier, I think.)

Plus, it looks like this:

Game, set, match.

dwafer
dwafer
7/21/09 2:48 p.m.

Just read about an SOHC Pontiac variant of the 230 L6 that seems cool. What I have seen so far is they were made from 65-69 and made from 160-200hp.

RossD
RossD Reader
7/21/09 2:51 p.m.

The older the inline six, the cooler. But twin cam with sidedraft carbs are even cooler. Where are the old pre-war inline 6s? Or how about inline 8s?

kreb
kreb Dork
7/21/09 4:06 p.m.

IMO I-8s trump even V12s, but all the ones that I'm aware of are boat anchors. Great for a classic cruiser, but not something that you'd want to put in a fast car.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/21/09 4:15 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opJilgQDZyo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HirKCzrd_ic

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/21/09 4:17 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I've always wanted to take a Supra turbo drivetrain & stick it in something like an old Cuda.

I can't link pix from work, but Google 'Toyomaro'. 1000 HP Supra inline 6 in a first gen Camaro.

Me, I have always had a soft spot for the old Pontiac OHC 6 cyl.

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
7/21/09 6:15 p.m.

seems like an exercise in futility. most potential, easy Toy. 2Jz and big turbos, but most price. an unusual one , GM 4200, and cheap price, maybe cost to mod.properly tho super cheap gives a nod to Chevy 230- or 250.

i guess you would ask yourself, what do i want powerful,, unusual,, or cheap???

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
7/21/09 6:19 p.m.

and that PONCHO, OHC was a Chevy block anyway,230. but performance mods to the head never really investigated,, MAYBE!

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/21/09 6:45 p.m.

2L Triumph out of the GT6 :)

then again, maybe I'm a bit biased

It's cool because they just took a Spitfire 4banger and added 2 cylinders in front of the front axle, totally destroying the spitfire's great weight balance in the GT6. Makes for exciting handling!

Also cool because you can access the engine from absolutely any angle with the bonnet open...makes it easier to find those oil leaks!

Much cooler once the crap strombergs are replaced with SU 1.50's and a bored manifold :) Photobucket

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CmvStVmhOyhIElgNr6bYuWcbkuW7S13IyQOTpJ9tqACxZehY6LykibPYuaQlOxBI