3 4 5 6
aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
9/25/09 2:57 p.m.

Here's a Ford Six in a front-engine, vintage sports racer.

The car is a "regular" at a lot of east-coast vintage events.....I've seen it at a number of events (but I'm not sure what it actually is). Three SUs on some sort of custom intake. It goes well. These shots were taken at Lime Rock a few weeks ago. You can see all my '09 Lime Rock photos ~HERE~

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
9/25/09 3:30 p.m.

Did anyone mention the Australian Chrysler Hemi-6? Not sure on the weight, but it cracked 300hp back in the day (gross)

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
9/26/09 10:06 a.m.

I had a Ford inline 6 with a four speed in an old parts van that some guy gave me, couldn't sell it for the life of me but ultimately did, it was a cool set up...

minimac
minimac Dork
9/26/09 5:48 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Ford 300 = best kept secret in drag racing. Shawn

Ford 300 truck crank and 240 block. Open up the 240 ports and polish. Add a 600 four barrel on an Offenhouser manifold= Giant killer.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/27/09 11:54 p.m.

And the sound...My God man THE SOUND Nothing, no not even a twelve, sounds as beautiful as a built I6. Either high compression/big cam or big turbo nothing sounds as sweet and evil at the same time

FlashGumby
FlashGumby None
5/31/13 4:10 p.m.

Just saw this one and had to post it here for posterity's sake.

It's the first brit-6 supercharger I've seen sucking from twin SU's (on an Aussie MGC).

As much as I love to see triples on an I-6, my favorite inline is the one mentioned here (because it's in a eety-bitty Healey Sprite).

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/31/13 4:16 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Here's a Ford Six in a front-engine, vintage sports racer. The car is a "regular" at a lot of east-coast vintage events.....I've seen it at a number of events (but I'm not sure what it actually is). Three SUs on some sort of custom intake. It goes well. These shots were taken at Lime Rock a few weeks ago. You can see all my '09 Lime Rock photos ~HERE~

That's the Philson Falcon.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
5/31/13 5:46 p.m.

I'm surprised that I'm not in this thread already my vote for best I6? Nearly all of them!

Even a crappy I6 can sound sweeter than anything with the right exhaust.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
5/31/13 5:57 p.m.

Jag wins for beauty. Those cam covers are freakin' art.

On a side note here: Does anyone have any general idea of v6 vs I6 weight for similar displacement? Is there a correlation? I can tell you, I have a 95 M3, and the engine is just fan-berkeleying-tastic. It gives me happy's to rev it out, and sounds like Jesus (if he were an engine). Or no, he probably wouldn't be that fun in an engine, how about Salma Hayek in from Dusk Till Dawn.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/31/13 6:01 p.m.

Q: What's a cool inline 6?

A: All of them.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
5/31/13 6:08 p.m.

There are a lot of nice inline 6's out there, but I have a sweet spot for inline 8's. I mean just look at this beauty:

1.5 liters supercharged beauty. And they sound pretty awesome. Like a hyper inline six.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
5/31/13 6:09 p.m.
cwh wrote: I still love the look of a Nissan L28 with triple Webers. Sounded great, too. That was in a ratty looking 240Z, great sleeper.

+1 for the L28...I just unseized one with Deep Creep, and it started up and purred like a kitten.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
5/31/13 6:15 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Jag wins for beauty. Those cam covers are freakin' art. On a side note here: Does anyone have any general idea of v6 vs I6 weight for similar displacement? Is there a correlation?

I've noticed that the vees tend to come in lighter. The Nissan VQ and GM pushrod 60 degrees are lighter than their inline equivalents.

That said, there's something about an inliner! How about Aston Martin?

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
5/31/13 6:21 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: There are a lot of nice inline 6's out there, but I have a sweet spot for inline 8's. I mean just look at this beauty: 1.5 liters supercharged beauty. And they sound pretty awesome. Like a hyper inline six.

eargasm at 12 second mark

bruceman
bruceman Reader
5/31/13 6:26 p.m.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
5/31/13 7:37 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Q: What's a cool inline 6? A: All of them.

Exactly what I came in here to say.

And I'll add BMW M I6's

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
5/31/13 8:05 p.m.

Everything in my driveway has an inline 6

2010 BMW 135i N54
1976 Datsun 280Z L28
1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0L

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
5/31/13 9:11 p.m.

I hold a special place in my heart for the 225.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-LH2BKNsAw

I want one.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/31/13 9:19 p.m.
FlashGumby wrote: Just saw this one and had to post it here for posterity's sake.

BTW, if nobody else said it, welcome aboard. It looks like this was your first post.

sethmeister4 wrote: +1 for the L28...I just unseized one with Deep Creep, and it started up and purred like a kitten.

Good to know, I thought it was "Kroil" or some such.....I'll be getting some Deep Creep when it is time to make my engine run again.

fanfoy wrote: There are a lot of nice inline 6's out there, but I have a sweet spot for inline 8's.
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/31/13 9:37 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I tip my hat to you good sir, for you quite obviously have your priorities straight and have exquisite taste.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
5/31/13 9:44 p.m.

Jeep makes a straight 6

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
5/31/13 9:52 p.m.

The Jeep 4.0L is not the most sexy engine but she cleans up nicely.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
5/31/13 10:34 p.m.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/31/13 10:49 p.m.
bruceman wrote:

Now THAT's a 6 cylinder I could love. I thought there was a mechanical connectivity issue that didn't allow you to hook that many in a row.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
6/1/13 1:18 a.m.

Blown Hudson six:

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x61VAS2ryici3A0PUOoZ4gQQ4fmzkIVp2DfqOP5u3711oCdGDXyLib9gbEpLjTDA