matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/24/21 10:19 a.m.

Hive,

I am midway on a coolant change for my wife's 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3.  Everything I checked online said it should use orange, but I am pulling out pink.  I bought 3 gallons of orange, but if that is not what I should put in, I really don't care.

Should I be flushing the whole system to get it to nothing but orange, or should I be using pink?

Thanks

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/21 11:33 a.m.

Color means literally less than nothing for coolant. That will require Dexcool compatible coolant or a full flush and use whatever you want.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/24/21 11:57 a.m.

Good to know. I bought Dexcool. I just know many of them seem to be following color codes and just wanted to make sure I did not grab the wrong thing or mix the wrong thing. I may flush with a hose just to be safe.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/21 12:27 p.m.

Sadly there is no official color code on coolants. The inhibitor package/type is what separates them. Inorganic and organic inhibitors sometimes don’t mix well if not formulated to mix. As long as it’s dexcool compatible you’re good.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/24/21 12:55 p.m.

Whatever is dexcool compatible.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 1:40 p.m.

Since you don't know what was in there before, please do an intensive flush.  You can't over flush.  Dexcool is fragile stuff.  It likes to drop out silicates into a gelatinous sandy sludge if it isn't happy... which is frequent.

I would never recommend refilling with Dexcool, and I go to great lengths to remove it whenever possible.  It's on my list to do ASAP in my 2006 Express 5.3L.  YMMV

Our Preferred Partners
Wg7dL3I8F4S4WICYZgRPWQDDuFqozGAYH23OQQuWnwwKAVOdlsj3Clijp3Lgr06y