matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/24/21 10:19 a.m.

Hive,

I am midway on a coolant change for my wife's 2007 Tahoe with the 5.3.  Everything I checked online said it should use orange, but I am pulling out pink.  I bought 3 gallons of orange, but if that is not what I should put in, I really don't care.

Should I be flushing the whole system to get it to nothing but orange, or should I be using pink?

Thanks

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/21 11:33 a.m.

Color means literally less than nothing for coolant. That will require Dexcool compatible coolant or a full flush and use whatever you want.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/24/21 11:57 a.m.

Good to know. I bought Dexcool. I just know many of them seem to be following color codes and just wanted to make sure I did not grab the wrong thing or mix the wrong thing. I may flush with a hose just to be safe.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/24/21 12:27 p.m.

Sadly there is no official color code on coolants. The inhibitor package/type is what separates them. Inorganic and organic inhibitors sometimes don’t mix well if not formulated to mix. As long as it’s dexcool compatible you’re good.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/24/21 12:55 p.m.

Whatever is dexcool compatible.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/26/21 1:40 p.m.

Since you don't know what was in there before, please do an intensive flush.  You can't over flush.  Dexcool is fragile stuff.  It likes to drop out silicates into a gelatinous sandy sludge if it isn't happy... which is frequent.

I would never recommend refilling with Dexcool, and I go to great lengths to remove it whenever possible.  It's on my list to do ASAP in my 2006 Express 5.3L.  YMMV

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2GNY7RB8i0ukQua26Auv8B7phiRYSls0Qm9ol77K736jjEXapvNapXWEzOoK0EH