1 2 3
fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
9/9/16 10:47 a.m.

The lease for my Focus EV is up in a couple months and looking at new options. I moved a little further from work, so a full plugin like I had just isn't practical. Fun weekend car is an Elise. Family of 2.

10-15k budget wife prefers a "prestige" brand, but abhors Volvo for no good reason preferably nothing older then 04 or so no clutches ): reasonably reliable and gas mileage, but would take that down a notch for something cool theoretically AWD would make her happier, but nothing a set of snows couldn't fix no suvs, wagons are a tough sell to her must have a back seat, even if marginal (i.e. 2+2 are ok) but seriously, something cool. also unique. otherwise I'll just get an E90 3er or E60 5er. I dig verts, she is ambivalent

The list has been wide and far, lots of depreciation specials that are frankly, probably poor choices. Sub 15k has plenty of heavy hitter AMGs like E55s, CLS550s, hell even SL and CL55s. They sound soooo good. The motors are stout, trannys too. But all the geegaws can be problematic, like hydropneumatic suspension, active body control, etc. A cooking grade, but boring 08 c-class with a normal motor probably makes the most sense. Late 00s 3 series and 5 series also exist here, probably ok choices. E63 6 series don't seem to have quite sunk in residuals like the big Mercs. I love first gen Audi TTs, but she think they're too old and ugly sigh Crossfire coupes didn't have little backseats did they? I like the Jag XF, or even an 2nd gen XK8. I'd love a Volvo C30, she'd need some convincing on that. I think a G35 coupe would be a great choice, but asshat drivers around here have ruined her perception of that car. A big bodied Jap car like a Lex GS or LS done VIP style would make me happy.

Of course the smart buy would be a 5 year old Accord or something. But boring cars are boring.

Car ownership history SW20 Turbo Mr2 S13 240sx GC Impreza NA Miata C5 Corvette S-Type v8

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/9/16 10:56 a.m.

Don't forget you can get a Charger/300C SRT/8 in the end of that price range.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/9/16 10:57 a.m.

E46 M3

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
9/9/16 11:09 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Don't forget you can get a Charger/300C SRT/8 in the end of that price range.

I'd love a police interceptor, or v8 magnum wagon. She doesn't seem convinced. E46 emmers slightly scare me with maintenance on the engine, as well as possible SMG issues.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/9/16 11:24 a.m.

I think Sonic got into his big 63 engined Mercedes (CLS?) for that money. The 63 and attached bits are pretty stout as long as you keep up with the scheduled maintenance. They're pretty spectacular cars.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/9/16 11:41 a.m.

Lexus GS450h.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
9/9/16 12:06 p.m.

SC430?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/9/16 12:13 p.m.

You can get a 2010 Genesis with about 75,000 miles on the clock for $15K. That's with the V8 and all the goodies. And before you say "It's just a Hyundai"...test drive one.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
9/9/16 12:41 p.m.

V1 CTS-V.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
9/9/16 1:13 p.m.

Maybe something like this?

SL500

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
9/9/16 1:15 p.m.

I like the Jag idea as well as a 6 Series, which I believe may be slipping into that price range.

The easy button would be a nice LS430 or a slightly sportier GS (I had an IS350 which you might find somewhat cramped). In the America vein, no idea what G8 GT's are going for, maybe a GTO?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/9/16 2:01 p.m.

I like my gs a lot and you could get a very nice later model one for that. But I would have a hard time saying no to a CTS-V. The no clutch thing might make it harder though.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/9/16 2:09 p.m.

Older than you're suggesting but this is a super nice example of a classic NMW 740i. The short wheelbase version was always so much better looking. NMNA

2000 BMW 740i for sale

2000 BMW 740i - short wheel base. Fully loaded. James Bond car. Sport package with 18" parallel wheels. Comes with premium package, 18" wheels, sunroof, xenons and navigation. This car is fully loaded and well cared for. Recently serviced. It has ONLY 74,000 original miles. Clean title. Leather is in great shape. AC and all options work as they should. Just serviced (inspection 1) at BMW of Gainesville with receipts.

If you are looking for a very clean 740i with all the right options then this is it. If you don't care and simply want a BMW 740 then this one isn't for you. There are plenty of those with high miles and less than perfect condition for $1500-2500. This one isn't that car. This one is near perfect and thus more money.

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
9/9/16 3:25 p.m.

Terrible color

Aspen
Aspen Reader
9/9/16 7:18 p.m.

An e90 is not a bad choice at all. A 328 for reliability, but no X-drive because it slows it down too much with the auto. A nice set of tires, say 245's and it's good. Look at Infinity g37 if you want more power.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
9/9/16 8:44 p.m.

SHO

Jarod
Jarod Reader
9/9/16 9:04 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning:

Did you used to be on hondahookup.com? Screen name looks familiar. As well as the turbo MR2 mentioned at the end of your post.

Mike
Mike Dork
9/9/16 9:46 p.m.

How about an CLK63 AMG? A little lighter on the gadgets than some of the other cars, only available as a cabriolet in the states. 2+2. One of the cheaper 63 AMG cars.

edit: pic

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/9/16 10:19 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: SHO

You know, they sold (maybe still do) the SHO with heated, cooled, and massaging front seats. I'm not sure if I would like massaging seats, but I'd like to spend enough time in them that I could have an educated opinion about it.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
9/9/16 10:50 p.m.

There has been an awful lot of talk of Jag XJRs around here lately. $15k would put you into a very nice one.

Allegedly they are no worse, possibly a bit easier, to maintain than thier German counterparts.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
9/9/16 11:59 p.m.

Given that a small back seat is OK, how far downward have first-model-year Lexus IS-F prices depreciated?

Mike
Mike Dork
9/10/16 5:35 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
You know, they sold (maybe still do) the SHO with heated, cooled, and massaging front seats. I'm not sure if I would like massaging seats, but I'd like to spend enough time in them that I could have an educated opinion about it.

Surprised they're not in the R. I had to go look at a bunch of R ads, because almost everything AMG besides the space-challenged SLK got them then.

I keep thinking they might prevent backside pain on long trips. That gets me at about three hours these days.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
9/10/16 7:49 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:

Or, if the Ford badge isn't "prestige" enough, the Lincoln MKS with Ecoboost/AWD is essentially a luxo SHO that can sometimes be found for less than the SHO.

1. Prestige badge

2. Adequate backseat

3. AWD

4. Ecoboost power

yupididit
yupididit HalfDork
9/10/16 11:14 a.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Given that a small back seat is OK, how far downward have first-model-year Lexus IS-F prices depreciated?

About 30k

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
9/10/16 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Smarta$$ McPoopyPants:

A buddy of mine sent me an ad for one here in the Detroit area, black on black, six speed, 120k miles, asking $13.5k

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnT831O95vi1mvubP7jdRJondJcslpJ7OxqUxssHnPWLW57d6BQ1UVNWv9zZf4cv