1 2 3 4
JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/29/16 6:48 p.m.

First that I can think of right now is this power train trade.

Swapped with this

Those who don't know, an NC super20 swap in to an 09+ RX8, and the S2 RX8 drivetrain in the NC.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
7/29/16 7:16 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Four door S10 with the Astro AWD transfer case on the manual transmission hooked up to a turbocharged 3800. Add blazer parts as required for the best brakes. Alternately, any 40's pickup plus a Subaru flat-6 and FWD transmission mounted in the rear to a DeDion rear axle with the stock bed set over the top. Exhaust via a pair of stacks, add turbo(s) as desired.

I thought of something similar in doing a V6 turbo AWD Astro van and build it like a factory continued Syclone/Typhoon and call it the Hurricane. This is not something I have ever seen and a build within my reach of ability.

The build that I haven't seen but well outside my abilities is to build an early 60's Pontiac Tempest that had 4 wheel independant suspension and all aluminum V8 and recreate it with a LS motor and a C6 transaxle then change all the control arms to tubular. Carbon fiber clear coated roof,hood and decklid and aluminum bumpers.

Something I could probably do fairly easily but can't afford is to put a Motus aluminum V4 (shortened LS motor) in my Exocet.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
7/29/16 7:17 p.m.

Gutted Subaru Brat with an air cooled VW swapped in. Mild lift, mud tires, and not much else. stupid idea, because solid Brats no longer exist, and cost way too much if you can find them. Also, I've become not so much the fan of air cooled Vdubs.

Find a clean Geo metro, put the stock 3 banger in the middle with the LSD I've got still new in the box, turbo charge to near oblivion. Also stupid due to all the work for minimal payoff.

VW diesel,+ small English sports car+ samurai 5 speed. Can't think of a good reason not to do that one, other than too many unfinished projects.

blizazer
blizazer Reader
7/29/16 7:28 p.m.
petegossett wrote: A twin-turbo, AWD, LS-powered, early-C3 Vette.

Ive wanted to build one ever since seeing the polish turbo awd c3.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
7/29/16 7:48 p.m.

Biturbo with an engine swap. SRT4, 2JZ or RB with twin turbos.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/29/16 8:17 p.m.

First or second gen Chrysler minivan body dropped onto a rwd chassis with a muscular v8. Actually any minivan body would do. Momkhanna van is a good example. No one from here has done anything like it and can show proof that I've ever found. I know I'm sick, very sick

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/29/16 8:17 p.m.

ACVW drivetrain in the front of a VW Fox.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
7/29/16 8:19 p.m.

In reply to drainoil:

Search for the Batvan, which was a GRM Challenge rig.

It was a VW Microbus with a Chevy 327 stuffed in the middle and driving a solid axle in the rear.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
7/29/16 8:25 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Both would be front heavy and more or less useless around corners, unless everything possible is mounted in the rear of the car.

For many of these projects, a fiberglass splash of your favorite body mounted on a tube chassis with whatever drivetrain you'd like would be easier and most likely more successful.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/29/16 8:28 p.m.

The Factory Five is a Cobra Replica built with a fabricated frame and a Cobra style body to which you add one Mustangs worth of running gear.

I always wanted to see the similar but rather a fabricated frame and Bugeye Sprite style body to which you add one Miatas worth of running gear.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/29/16 8:29 p.m.

Porsche 914. 3.5ho Chrysler and transaxle from 300m. Add itbs, flappy paddles, and flares.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
7/29/16 8:33 p.m.

I wanted to take my dog along on motorcycle rides. Best I could tell there was only one other sidecar in the world (at least, on the 'net) on an SV650. So I made mine a leaner. Bogart enjoys:

My long-term, never seen it done car project is a Volvo 240 wagon body dropped onto a C5 or C6 corvette rollerskate. The wheelbase is nearly identical, and box flares would cover up the track width.

RevRico
RevRico HalfDork
7/29/16 8:37 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to RevRico: Both would be front heavy and more or less useless around corners, unless everything possible is mounted in the rear of the car. For many of these projects, a fiberglass splash of your favorite body mounted on a tube chassis with whatever drivetrain you'd like would be easier and most likely more successful.

Hmm... Some kind of big heavy diesel rear mounted could be interesting. Miata Wheelies anyone? In my time here I've learned I know even less about vehicles than I thought I did, so I know some of my ideas are really out there.

AWD, in my head, sounds like a fun idea though, but I didn't even think of weight balance, just COG.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/29/16 8:41 p.m.

One part Yamaha powered Legends chassis plus one part Nash Metropolitan, mix thoroughly, and bake until awesome.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
7/29/16 9:17 p.m.

Does it have to be a car? I want to build an off road gocart with a snowmobile driveline running the wheels. Picture something half way between a simple go cart and a dune buggy.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/29/16 10:11 p.m.

I've always wanted to put a Toyota 1UZ-FE in a Volvo 242. I even bought the LS400 donor once but it was so nice my wife took it over as the daily driver. Then my friend totaled his 242 that I wanted to swap. One of these days I'll get back to it. I was hoping for Challenge priced, and had about $800 in car and engine but I might not bother with the budget build the next time around.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
7/29/16 10:44 p.m.

I have some in mind, but you know what they say. If you tell people your wishes, they don't come true

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
7/29/16 11:54 p.m.

I've got another..... 90s boxy Caravan + second motor in the rear (like the TwinStar) and paint it up like a huge Mini Cooper.

When I first thought of this, it would have been the Maxi Cooper, or Mega Cooper. Nowadays, probably the Cooper Continent edition, since club and country are already taken.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
7/30/16 1:55 a.m.

Here is a business idea that anyone can have, I just want the ability to use it...

I dream of an aggregated website for auto parts.
I would go onto this site and search for any part, let's say:

1995 Ford Taurus ball joint

The site would then search for me and complete the web form on all the local parts chain websites and return to me all their prices and availability in one place.

Instead, currently when I want that part I have 4 separate tabs open and I go to Napa and type in 95 Ford Taurus.
Then Auto zone and type 95 Ford Taurus.
Then Advanced and type 95 Ford Taurus.
Then O'Reilly and type...

I

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/30/16 4:29 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

We have that at work... we pay $$$/month as a subscription service for the software, and it's a pain in the tail getting it to work with all of our different suppliers' sites, and then someone makes a change to their server and we get stuck in the middle as both sides say it's a problem on the other party's end. But when it works, it works great, and then we invariably just get it from NAPA for parts quality reasons.

"Availability" is the key, that kind of information is generally insider-only. That's another reason we prefer NAPA, we have access to what local stores stock, what local warehouses stock, and what DCs stock. And in some cases what the supplier to NAPA stocks.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/30/16 10:23 a.m.

Turbo diesel into a Prias just because it would screw with their heads. Make sure it runs real rich.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
7/30/16 10:46 a.m.

NC miata drivetrain and suspension under '27 Track-T fiberglass body. Custom locost style tube frame to hold it all together. Deep black paint. Cosworth Duratec ITB setup. Aluminum bomber seats and interior.

Imagine this that can turn and stop:

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/30/16 10:46 a.m.

I still keep thinking about the simplified Miata that I had a thread about not to long ago. Even found a 90mm high/low beam LED light- so that I could have a single fixed light per side.

Would be about 1800lb or so, with a nice running original engine, and a lot of design cues from the 50's and 60's sports cars.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/30/16 11:44 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to drainoil: Search for the Batvan, which was a GRM Challenge rig. It was a VW Microbus with a Chevy 327 stuffed in the middle and driving a solid axle in the rear.

Oh thank you!!! How did I not remember this!!!!

t25torx
t25torx Dork
7/30/16 2:33 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Imagine this... a dark blue 88-90 Caprice with tint and missing hubcaps. But wait... those aren't steelies... they are really some massive 17x10 wheels wrapped in some 295 tires hiding some hugenormous Baer brakes. It's also sitting a little too low. Open the door to find not one, not two but FOUR recaro's in the car with harnesses. pop the hood to see a nice aluminum LSx engine in there only to find out it's a 6.0L block with a 4.8 crank, proper cam and valvetrain that lets it spin to 8k rpms backed by a tremec 6-spd. custom control arms, 3 link rear with watts link, quiet exhaust with some 3" cutouts underneath. That.. that is my OLOA dream car.

Doo eet! This seems like it could be done for challenge budget, minus the Recaros. YOu could settle for C5 or LS1 F-Body brakes,

I have a ton of these projects in my mind. Unfortunately I have a lack of funds and time to go along with all these projects.

I really want to take a '95-97 Cutlass and remove the engine from the front, and then put the 3.0 LF1 with a 6 speed from a G6 mated to it, stuff all that in the back to make an Oldsmobile NSX. I would love to do this on a challenge budget, then once the challenge is over take and put an interior in it and make it as production quality as possible.

Another really crazy idea I have is to take a Mercedes W202, then grab a V12 out of an S600, throw that in the back with a Porsche transaxle, make some molds of the body and make a fiberglass clamshell rear section and front end, ala Alfa Romeo Pro-Car. Throw some takeoff Indy wheels and tires on it, custom pushrod front suspension, should be a crazy time trial car.

Well, I've said enough, don't want to give all my secret Challenge winning ideas away.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qm8TRFOTRzajKTQwINook6v5wsLTwCm0hQSXa9EnxcapTxDQ0wzINY6cbv7YW2kl