1 2 3 4 5
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/30/16 2:45 p.m.

Miata drive train and suspension, maybe turbocharged, in a Nash Metropolitan.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
7/30/16 3:51 p.m.

Mines really simple.

86 mustang LX, swap in 3.7 and 6-speed out of an 11-14 Stang with bolt in performance bits, IRS and brakes off of a cobra, mild suspension, quiet exhaust, subtle wheels/tire package and just drive the wheels off.

If it's not quick enough after the bolt one do a small blower or n2o set up

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
7/30/16 4:17 p.m.

I had the brilliant idea of swapping in a complete AWD driveline from an STI into a 73 Maverick, full cage, flares, and a big number 1-1/2 on the side. Put in a radio and a cupholder and drive it daily.

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
7/30/16 4:18 p.m.

Oh, and diesel anything. I'd build a Miata diesel.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
7/30/16 4:24 p.m.

I'm in the process of turning my crashed Crown Vic into a drift missile.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/30/16 4:40 p.m.
petegossett wrote: A twin-turbo, AWD, LS-powered, early-C3 Vette.

What about one (massive) turbo, AWD, rubber bumper?

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/30/16 4:49 p.m.

As for myself I still want to build this:

photo 20160406_153846.jpg

V8, AWD, square body S-10, with stock car interior, 4 link and coil overs.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
7/30/16 6:44 p.m.

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a large-ish, billet-wheel/low-profile-tire combo where the rim of the wheel APPEARS to be the whitewall stripe of a smaller diameter tire.

...for sleeper use, of course.

My personal "Why hasn't anyone done it?" project would be a "rusty" first-gen Taurus wagon with a turbo SHO drivetrain in the front and a turbo SHO drivetrain in the rear.

The rear engine cover would look like a pile of boxes/crap and the shifter would look like a water bottle in a drink holder. ...and the wheels would be as described above.

With 600+hp and AWD, the 'Vette driver next to it at a light would have a bit of a surprise.

blizazer
blizazer Reader
7/30/16 7:48 p.m.
dimarra wrote: I'm surprised someone hasn't made a large-ish, billet-wheel/low-profile-tire combo where the rim of the wheel APPEARS to be the whitewall stripe of a smaller diameter tire. ...for sleeper use, of course

Saw those at a show last year.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2014/11/27/new-whitewall-wheel-keeps-old-car-look/70070286/

And madhatr, yes, thats the one I was talking about.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
7/30/16 9:59 p.m.

I have often dreamed about having the skills and budget to build a Ferrari 250 replica (TdF, SWB, Testarossa, GTO, Lusso, pick your poison) that is focused on a close-ish approximation of the mechanicals and the aesthetics fall where they may......AAAAND...do so without chopping up another less-desirable V-12 FR Ferrari.

I feel like most Ferrari replicas focus on the aesthetics and let the mechanicals fall where they may. Pushrod 5.7-liter V-8, or aircooled 1.6 flat four, or a GM V-6, or a 5-6 liter German V-12 with an automatic...I mean, they are all pretty close to a drive-it-to-the-track, drive-it-home, approaching 100hp/liter 3-liter V-12 with a row of downdraft Webers, right?

I'm not sure exactly how you would do it, but my daydreams involve starting with motorcycle engine architecture in the 250cc/cylinder range and a lot of custom machining and milling.

It might not be the easy road, but I still think starting with a real Ferrari is going to be more expensive.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
7/30/16 10:56 p.m.

I've always wanted to put a Geo Metro I-3 into a '69 Cadillac Fleetwood.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
7/30/16 10:58 p.m.

Mine is a Cosworth DFV in my Datsun 1200; instead of the normal and predictable mid engine layout I want the DFV up front and the transaxle out back. I also want to keep the shell rather than doing the usual tube frame. I have a fabricator friend who could make all the pieces.........all I need is the spare 50K for the parts.

There is a Japanese gentleman in Calfornia who redid a 240Z shell in aluminum, I'd love to do that on the 1200 as it would be possible to get it down below 1300lbs.........more chance of doing a DFV.

Way back in the day TQ midgets used two stroke outboards as a power source. We've toyed with using a 250HP V6 as a poweplant.

Tom

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
7/30/16 11:18 p.m.

1st gen Oldsmobile Silhouette with the "horizon stripe" with an L67 under glass in the back driving the rear wheels.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
7/31/16 6:03 a.m.

I'd like to build a 1948 Pontiac Streamliner with a Toyota 1KD-FTV out of a diesel Hilux.

Basically use this as a start:

Bagged, painted deep black, chrome all redone keeping the windshield visor (I don't actually know what hotrodders call that) and the little inserts into the tail lights that turn them purple (also don't know what they're called.)

Refinish the interior back to OE+ standards, gloss white dash, and put something nice in the interior.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/31/16 7:23 a.m.

Track Bus. Take a mid '90s Suburban and gut it down to a shell and add NASCAR bits until it's a terror on the track. Painted bright yellow with 6 racing seats to give thrill rides to my friends.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/31/16 8:25 a.m.

I seem to come up with stuff that scares my brother. I do have this Miata (Worlds second ugliest) and a Bugeye sprite sitting around. I have alway thought an old huge car (see Pontiac above) and a 12v diesel...maybe 4 wheel drive. I also have 40% of a Cobra kit car and hear about bigger motors and I want to put a 2.3 turbo in it.

My brother got scared when I was looking at a whale shaped paddle boat. Once I said "Cushman Truckster" he saw my vision.

I really wanted to do a zero turn with tracks for a pit bike kinda thing, but I spotted one the other day.

Bruce

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
7/31/16 9:32 a.m.

2.2 Turbo dodge motor in a 1st gen crx/3rd gen Civic. I can tell you it "fits," but sadly, we never got beyond the fit-check.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
7/31/16 9:51 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I don't come up with imaginary projects for other people. I come up with ones for myself and then usually do something with them

QFT

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
7/31/16 9:59 a.m.
EvanR wrote: I've always wanted to put a Geo Metro I-3 into a '69 Cadillac Fleetwood.

i'm not sure it would even move without a push.

how about a WRX engine into the back of a previously FWD cold war eastern block car? oh wait...

the next one i REALLY plan to do, after all the current crop is finished, is lowered AWD 91-96 roadmonster wagon with stupid turbo LS power. much like the C3 above has an obviously grafted on front frame section from a gm truck, i've planned to use an astro van subframe to keep the correct track width and bolt pattern, and use coil overs instead of torsion bars.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
7/31/16 12:49 p.m.

OK, I'll bite. Find a WRX that's been rear-ended. Perform surgery. Turn into truck:

Then fabricate something like the extra-long travel Paco Motorsports kit for the Miata.

Make daily driver and weekend adventure-mobile.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
8/2/16 8:38 p.m.

"Smallmouth Triumph TR3 widened roughly 10", largemouth grill installed to maintain the front "look", engine / suspension fron NC Miata (Hey, purists, it's still a 2.0L inline 4!)."

Been done, but better.

Friend of mine- http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Triumph-TR3-Plus-4.htm

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
8/2/16 8:45 p.m.

My projects - rebodied 56 MGA with 3.4 V6

What I had but never quite got around to doing.

This (hot rodded TR4 engine)

in this Triumph

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/2/16 11:01 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Turbo diesel into a Prias just because it would screw with their heads. Make sure it runs real rich.

It would have to have a Jake brake

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
8/2/16 11:15 p.m.
wspohn wrote: "Smallmouth Triumph TR3 widened roughly 10", largemouth grill installed to maintain the front "look", engine / suspension fron NC Miata (Hey, purists, it's still a 2.0L inline 4!)." Been done, but better. Friend of mine- http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Triumph-TR3-Plus-4.htm

Randy was one of my instructors at BCIT when I was training to be a shop teacher. He was very, very, inspirational.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
8/2/16 11:25 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

I like! I like!!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N5eGjoY9MnZE6XjSxr5OkKJNgxS4spARUGjX2pTifdsq3oGfsUcXROGRk58YfPGe