1 2 3
sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
10/4/17 6:46 p.m.

It looks like there's a critical mass of people on the board aware of and watching insurance auctions these days... and they probably present as much (more?) of a wtf? detection/analysis game a strong the pre-existing CL thread.  So, why not these auctions too?  Maybe it's a strange accident.  Or maybe it's a totaled Ferrari with a broken twilight.  All fair game.

I'll start off with this Sonata that has the doors/b-pillar cut off even though it doesn't look like there's any other damage:

Copart Sonata

Let the shoppi... er, I mean posting begin

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/4/17 7:17 p.m.

Door handle missing like it was sheared off.  I'll bet a-post was bent enough that the door would not open either.  The reclined seat tells me they either had to do an extraction or the driver may have been of "generous proportions".  

I'll be the Jaws of Life hacked that car in quick order.  My guess is that VIN is not coming back to the road.   

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/4/17 9:59 p.m.

I'll be happy to post up anything I note as being extra interesting. NC is one of the states where salvage title cars don't need a dealer license. However clean title ones do seem to.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/4/17 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Oh yes,  list away.  I'm always on the hunt for interesting bad ideas and NC is driving distance. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 6:56 a.m.

When I was eyeing a 3/4ton suburban with the 8.1 that ran and drove on copart a couple of weeks ago the car was in Colorado and I was uneligible to bid I looked into the fees. I don't think where you are matters about eligibility its about where the car is and that states laws for that particular item.

That being said I also looked up autobid master and I figured spending about 2k on the car it was going to cost about 1k in fees to copart

300-500 for the member sale fee

60 for the gate fee at the lot

69 for the internet bid fee

Then Autobidmaster was a 250 dollar transaction fee with a 400 dollar deposit which I assume goes to your purchase

This is before calculating any storage fees or transportation fees to actually get the car picked up/delivered to you.

But so first find was a running driving 8.1 3/4ton suburban that sold for 2500 in texas

2004 Mazdaspeed Miata 2300, needed a bumper and a fender and had a crease in the rear but looked driveable

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 925, looked pretty straight just had steelies on it and mismatched body panels

2007 Mazda 3 650, very little damage

2008 Toyota Prius 3000, main damage was a door/side hit but seemed mostly contained to the door itself

2014 Camaro 2SS 11000, main damage was door/side hit

2004 Yukon 875, no damage but high mileage 280k

High mileage domestic stuff seems to go dirt cheap, prius's seem to be selling to NJ likely for Taxi fleets, trucks and pony cars, and newer cars/suvs seem to be much more competitively bid on. I've watched a bunch of running and driving look fine taurus now sell for 150-250 bucks. China Grove near Charlotte moves an insane amount of cars but is too far for me to get to easily to look at stuff in person unless I was really serious. Just for the next auction run and drive no license required they have 384 cars going up

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 7:16 a.m.

Here's a mazdaspeed 3 that blew its airbags but could be fixed and probably make a fun little toy. Its also mislabeled as an automatic

https://www.copart.com/lot/38114097

A volvo S60 you could probably drive off the lot

https://www.copart.com/lot/38565487

Both of these are pure sale so will go for whatever the bid is my guess is less than 2k for the volvo and less than 3 for the mazda

The perfect luxury sedan challenge class entry? With 368k miles

https://www.copart.com/lot/40261927

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
10/5/17 7:17 a.m.

The passenger side looks good? 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 7:18 a.m.

If you click the link Dan you should be able to see all the pictures. I don't remember paying anything to get a basic Copart account but I did have to send in a picture of my ID, I am guessing you are talking about the S60?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/5/17 7:23 a.m.

Really throwing down the insults and hurling the slurs on the LS 430 there...

Bith??? 

Clean???

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
10/5/17 7:38 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Sorry, that was meant to be in response to the only straight part on the Sonata originally posted. It's early here in TX..

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
10/5/17 7:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You could probably get that paint cleaned up, I follow some detail forums and have seen graffiti removed. But I think "bith" would have to stay, it's "charming".

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 8:26 a.m.

Yeah depending on the paint quality you could maybe wetsand a lot of it off and just reclear or something

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
10/5/17 8:40 a.m.

spray paint will normally come off with just a claybar.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
10/5/17 9:11 a.m.
thedanimal said:

In reply to John Welsh :

You could probably get that paint cleaned up, I follow some detail forums and have seen graffiti removed. But I think "bith" would have to stay, it's "charming".

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
10/5/17 10:00 a.m.

I dunno, I see that "bith" car as part way along to some kind of arctic camo paint job

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 11:11 a.m.

Super Technical Artist Rendition

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
10/5/17 11:26 a.m.

^Nithe

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
10/5/17 11:49 a.m.

it's probably a bit of an overstatement to say there's a "tradition" of vandalized luxo-cheater cars in the challenge... but if the lexus showed up, it would be in fine company with Stampie's Q45

maybe the "clean" above is a reference to having 'cleaned' the po's stash out?

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/5/17 1:17 p.m.

I may bid on this.  It's local, so I will go look it over first.

https://www.copart.com/lot/40739787

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 4:44 p.m.

I would definitely be watching that one. The rule of thumb I have read is to look at what amounts to 50-60% of the non salvage value on craigslist and then make sure you can get the car + parts +fees for less than that and you are generally going to be good

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
10/5/17 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

remind me again, does that one suffer from IMS?  if so, how many miles 'till that's terminal?

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/5/17 5:54 p.m.

No IMS on the 996 turbos.  They're pretty bulletproof as far as German cars go anyway.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/5/17 9:36 p.m.

The turbos are not known for any issues, but they did depreciate more due to people generally malaising the 996 due to IMS even tho they don't have the issue

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/5/17 9:37 p.m.

That seems like a hell of a find. I bet it goes for a lot, though. The parts value on that thing has to be tens of thousands of dollars, right? What's the engine worth??

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/6/17 7:23 a.m.

I mean it's at almost 11k right now without an auction date which means its probably at least 3 weeks before it gets assigned to a sale. You can find them for sale around mid to low 30's. I am going to guess due to the desirability/relative value that even salvage the car would actually be worth more than 50% of that maybe mid 20's fully repaired

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FkkqssCmxJGE8s8n5APZEbmZa8uuU2kUvEYAzMjVc08TXehg9hgEteT8XYPCi2RI