1 2
Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/26/14 12:40 p.m.

Subie into a Lakewood might be kind of tough, since the 'Vair runs backwards. Four speeds reverse, one forward anyone? Vairs have excellent parts availability through Clarks and others, and one of the very best marque clubs: Corvair Society of America (CORSA).

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/26/14 1:00 p.m.

Can the trans in a the vair have it's ring and pinion flipped like you can do in the VW?.

personally, if I was going to cut up a vair to mount a suby engine (which I would never do) I would try to source a 915 transaxle out of a late 70s through 80s Porsche

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/26/14 2:44 p.m.

Known good or rebuilt Porker 915 boxes are trading for more than the subarugears setup these days.

I have been told countless of times in the last 5 years that 915's can be had for a couple of hundred dollars but I have been watching them climb from 1500-3500 this whole time.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/26/14 4:10 p.m.

Vair for me cause the path to V8 in the backseat is well trodden.

Sorry...forgot there was a wife unit in the matrix. In that case go with what she think looks good and keep it and her from overheating and all will be good.

They are both kool cars. Myself, I am not all that comfortable with the rear engine front radiator technology; does this not put additional demands on the water pump? Or it a case of bonus cooling surface and you get away with smaller rad up front? Plus you now have to ventilate the front trunk.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
5/26/14 4:32 p.m.

Dad bought one of the first Squarebacks imported to the U.S. in 1966. I grew up in the back seat and learned to drive in that car. My DD is a Jetta Sportwagen.

Guess which way I vote?

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/26/14 5:06 p.m.

I wouldn't be reusing the vair trans if that was the way I went. Something from either subbie (not sure how to run in rear engine mode) or a VW/Audi unit.

I never even thought about rear seat access. This is pointing more and more towards Vair for me.

To the purests out there. How much money would it take to take to add fuel injection, AC, and 220 hp to a stocker flat 6? And now how much can I buy a rolled SVX or Flat 6 outback that has all that already? Why am I even needing to explain this to people on this board?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
5/26/14 5:33 p.m.

I kinda like your "which one?" threads!

In this instance, having owned a Squareback before and worked in a VW repair shop off and on, I'd go right to the Corvair.

Also owned a few Corvairs and ALWAYS wanted a wagon. I'd buy one right now if I could find one locally that I could afford.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/26/14 5:46 p.m.

I've owned 3 squarebacks and stopped paying attention so when the heck did they become worth money?

That said gimme the corvair.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/26/14 6:19 p.m.

Not quite the same but this was on the readers rides when I just pulled this up.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/10427/

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
5/26/14 8:43 p.m.

I'd pick the Vair. A guy on my street already has a Squareback (dressed up like a Taxi). I've seen another one in the hood with an EV conversion.

Plus 'Murca, right?

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth New Reader
5/27/14 9:24 a.m.

Vw...cause I always liked riding in my aunts when I was little.

PS122
PS122 Reader
5/27/14 12:47 p.m.

Flat 6 > flat 4.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lxtSfyvdShAJJbCLFBu0RkqmXO7Wye6tpHEbTc0QbG9pThU7POvEJ71DL1pXGnut