And all other crossovers

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
11/29/22 8:12 p.m.

Alf pogs -- lord

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/29/22 8:22 p.m.

I don't agree with it, but if Ferrari and Lamborghini can do it, so can Corvette.  

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/29/22 8:28 p.m.

We live in a world where Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Bentley and Ferrari sell SUVs.

Besides those, you can buy SUVs with over 600hp from Jeep, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac and I guess Tesla too.

Between the Maverick, Mach E, Blazer, Eclipse, etc in recent years I think we've learned that brands don't really matter any more. If an OEM has a trademarked name with any marketability at all it's going to be used regardless of what the product originally was or the new one is.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/29/22 8:36 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

Alf pogs -- lord

JG with the win.

I have an R2-D2 POG here on my desk, though.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
11/29/22 9:12 p.m.

Then the collectors will be all over the C7s as the last real 'vettes, sorta like the air cooled Porsche hoopla. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/29/22 9:25 p.m.

After all the hate toward the Mach E, this thread is pretty calm and quiet, I must point out. 

Funny...

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/29/22 9:28 p.m.

Doesn't General Motors have enough four door SUV's? A Corvette is a SPORTSCAR. Not a Soccer Mom/Dad vehicle.  If GM want to make a SUV to compete with Porsche don't call it a Corvette. I don't call a SUV Porsche a 911. It is bad enough that almost no cars, trucks are two door.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/29/22 10:22 p.m.
alfadriver said:

After all the hate toward the Mach E, this thread is pretty calm and quiet, I must point out. 

Funny...

Ford broke everyone in with the Mach E. It's never as bad when you're the second one. smiley

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/29/22 10:32 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I've seen references to this elsewhere and I don't really believe it.

But stupider things have happened.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/29/22 10:52 p.m.

The looks I would get at the solid waste transfer station were awesome. Best looking Chevy truck ever!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/22 7:03 a.m.

Just remember, Duntov was pushing hard for a mid engine Corvette...back in the 60s. The only thing new is GM finally pulled the trigger.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/30/22 7:55 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Just remember, Duntov was pushing hard for a mid engine Corvette...back in the 60s. The only thing new is GM finally pulled the trigger.

Yeah, but he also hated that they put the big block in the 'Vette because it was too big and heavy. So he'd hate a big, fat Corvette SUV.

There's already the Cadillac Escalade-V, and the Cadillac Lyriq EV and the Blazer EV SS are both on the way (both 500-ish horsepower EV crossovers). What does a Corvette SUV bring to the table that those don't?

Of course this modern GM we are talking about, which is a company that's about as smart as a sack of hammers. They spent a decade building up the Cadillac V badge, just to water it down so they can build up the Blackwing name instead. They spent a fortune developing that Blackwing engine and launched it in a car that had been already discontinued, giving it just a 6-month run in a lame duck car, and the engine doesn't fit anything else. They are buying out Buick dealers, because they don't have any EV Buicks in the immediate future, so then when they do start development of new Buicks they will have dismantled their own dealer network.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/30/22 10:10 a.m.
EvanB said:

I was certainly upset when the Baja Cutless was discontinued, the Supreme just doesn't compare. 

Indeed.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/30/22 10:27 a.m.

So the most important question is which generation of the vette will the SUV be?  I'm thinking C5 or so. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
11/30/22 10:41 a.m.
MyMiatas said:

Doesn't General Motors have enough four door SUV's? A Corvette is a SPORTSCAR. Not a Soccer Mom/Dad vehicle.  If GM want to make a SUV to compete with Porsche don't call it a Corvette. I don't call a SUV Porsche a 911. It is bad enough that almost no cars, trucks are two door.

These supercar companies I suppose need to make an SUV to survive as going concerns. GM is already mainly an SUV/truck company.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/30/22 10:44 a.m.
alfadriver said:

So the most important question is which generation of the vette will the SUV be?  I'm thinking C5 or so. 

I want to see the Corvette SUV look like a lifted, four seat, open top dune buggy with heavy C3 influence.

IamFODI
IamFODI New Reader
11/30/22 10:55 a.m.
GCrites80s said:
MyMiatas said:

These supercar companies I suppose need to make an SUV to survive as going concerns. GM is already mainly an SUV/truck company.

Yep.

The problem isn't them.  It's us.  We don't buy the great cars that built the brand.  We buy the stupid SUVs that parasitize it, or we don't buy any of them at all.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
11/30/22 12:14 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
alfadriver said:

I want to see the Corvette SUV look like a lifted, four seat, open top dune buggy with heavy C3 influence.

Someone beat you to it:

gmcguyre
gmcguyre
11/30/22 2:17 p.m.

Chevy already tried it once before during the  late 70's and 80's with the other Vette, Chevy Chevette that is...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/30/22 2:38 p.m.

Apparently a car brand either dies a hero, or lives long enough to see itself become an SUV...

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
11/30/22 4:23 p.m.

I feel the same way as I did about the Mach-E. It is just bastardizing the name.

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/30/22 4:35 p.m.

no

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
11/30/22 5:51 p.m.

Nothing is sacred anymore.  Everything "new & improved" is usually a ruined re-design. Obsolescence rules the marketing planning.  Creativity is basically re-doing something already done, ie- ridiculous movie re-makes.

I guess a move like this is easier for the engineers than for Marketing to think up a new name that doesn't end up being offensive in another language.  It all smacks of the memory of the sixth generation Pontiac LeMans - thanks Daewoo.

sigh, a good rant always helps.  -now get off my lawn, it's naptime...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EiOO1AIUZYL1ahh06pleFH3fTj6S30fSSkIE4KmlMZumAkNO6Lhw4PfNYqrprkFG