miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 4:28 p.m.

I will be getting the transmission from a NB installed into my 91 NA in June and I happen to think earlier today, would I be able to use a NB clutch or would I have to go with the clutch from a NA? Also, I am going to be replacing the original suspension bushings with Mazda OEM bushings. I have looked for a full OEM kit, but havent had any luck. Anyone know where I can find a full OEM kit without having to possibly go through a Mazda dealer? I am replacing them for the fact that I am in the works of a SM build and since the suspension will be pretty much open, so to speak, with replacing the shocks with Bilsteins and all of the other components, I might as well replace the bushings. Not only for that, but replacing them would make the suspension feel new again. Might as well take care of them while I am at everything else. I'd like to find the ful kit, but if no such luck should exists, I would like to know if anyone should know where to get them at the lowest possible price. I know Mazdaspeed carries them, but I dont have an account with them. I am still a ways off from racing in any events. Still in the build process. Thanks for any info!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
4/26/12 4:35 p.m.

Try Rosenthal Mazda on the bushings? http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/

They have pretty good prices.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 4:41 p.m.

Sweet! Thanks. The prices seem pretty decent actually. Now to save the monies and get all 22 of the bushings...

moxnix
moxnix Reader
4/26/12 4:53 p.m.

You can join mazdaspeed when you are in the process of building and get discounts.

Mazdaspeed said: If you are building your car. If your race car is currently under construction, the race results requirement will be temporarily waived if you can provide a copy of your racing club membership card (SCCA, NASA, etc.). You will be required to provide a completion date for the first race you plan to compete in. You will need to provide race results from your first event within 30 days after the competition. You will not be able to purchase parts if you cannot provide all information as in one of the cases above.
miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 5:05 p.m.

The section that states a completion date for the first race is what is holding me back from getting into the MSM program. I am not currently a member of the SCCA or NASA, but that will change in the next few months.............I just got off the phone with Mazdaspeed and autocross IS covered under the race event detail. Once i get the Bilstein shocks in, I will look into a SNELL approved helmet and get into autocross. huzzah, I can breathe easier!

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 5:12 p.m.

Now, the only question remaining is the one about the clutch from a NB going into my NA aith the NB transmission install in roughly a month. Any words of wisdom on that?

moxnix
moxnix Reader
4/26/12 5:35 p.m.

Many autox clubs have loaner helmets.

All 1.8L clutches are the same.

Going from 1.6L (91) to 1.8L (94+ including NB) You would need to swap the flywheel to the 1.8L flywheel.

However if you are building for SM you might want to check the rules to make sure what gearboxes and clutches are legal.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 8:56 p.m.

In SM, the gearbox from a NB into a NA in totally legal. The race team that is giving me their team support, 5X Racing, is owned by the NASA Florida Region Race Director, John Adamczyk, and I talked to him about the gearbox swap to make sure and he said yes to it. I plan on getting a helmet of my own after I install the Bilsteins and have the gearbox swapped. I am still not really too sure what the difference exactly in detail of the SCCA and NASA are, but I will be joining one soon. I will look into getting the flywheel swapped out too. Thanks for the heads up. I hadnt thought of that. Clutches in SM are ACT I believe. Cant recall off the top of my head the exact details of the clutch regulations in SM.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
4/26/12 9:45 p.m.

The only thing that you need to know about swapping NA and NB gearboxes involves the starter. One of the three holes is in a different place. Either use the starter and steel bellhousing plate that goes with the gearbox (the NB starter is smaller and lighter, may not be legal) or just leave one of the bolts out like most people do. There's no need to change the flywheel.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
4/26/12 10:28 p.m.

The flywheel change was to change the clutch from 1.6L to 1.8L (Assuming legal for SM)

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 10:37 p.m.

I plan on taking the less expensive route with the starter. So, to swap gearboxes, i just need the transmission and the clutch?

Keith
Keith MegaDork
4/26/12 10:42 p.m.

To swap gearboxes, you need the transmission and the shifter.

To swap clutches, you need to change the flywheel as moxnix said.

These are two independent operations - you can keep your current clutch if you retain your current flywheel (and vice versa).

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 10:49 p.m.

Ok. I think i got ya now. I need the gearbox and the shifter. I dont need a NB clutch to install the NB tranny? I can still run a NA clutch with the swap? Just wanna make sure I know as much as I can before the swap in a month and change.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
4/26/12 10:50 p.m.

Correct, your choice of clutch is not affected by your choice of transmission.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
4/26/12 10:52 p.m.

Ok. Cool. I plan on sticking with an OEM NA clutch for now, seeing as the main focus other than the gearbox is the suspension. Thanks Keith for explaining in detail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eG0pKrpu33Jj8Poy7Z2XbWJfKOz8gpgPfZVNJxLYNezYRhIbjcEzsfGvqWAWGpzk