1 2 3 4 5
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/12/19 9:07 p.m.

I just opened up market place and I'll swallow my pride and admit most of my comments are no longer valid.  Its pretty decent now.  Certainly on par with CL, and far easier to comprehend than the rest of FB.  Not happy about needing a separate messaging app to deal with it, but whatever.

Question:  How do you get the URL of an ad to send to a friend?  I found a set of wheels that may work for our rallyx car, but I can't figure out how to link to them.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
4/12/19 9:20 p.m.

Well It Will Stop all the Multi posting of the same stuff, and lots of dealers  selling as owners, I mostly sell Parts not whole cars and it looks to be good there.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
4/12/19 9:30 p.m.
GTXVette said:

Well It Will Stop all the Multi posting of the same stuff, and lots of dealers  selling as owners, I mostly sell Parts not whole cars and it looks to be good there.

So much this. I am beyond sick of searching private party, and getting all dealers. They don't let you know their dealers either. I have to ask if the title is in their name. 

Facebook search is utter horse manure. Please tell me why I can't search by mileage. In the fb mobile app, it at least shows me mileage so I don't have to click each one. Not desktop. Makes sense right? User has screen 8x as big as cell phone. Let's give them less info. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/12/19 9:34 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I've been reading your posts here with some interest. I have had a couple of FB accounts under psudynyms back when that was not as actively policed, and the last one got shut down over 2 years ago now. I've been FB free since then. I think my blood pressure's dropped like 20 points. I never realized that all my friends had such terrible politics. ;-)

However, in the last few months I've been noticing more and mor emails and texts from friends asking me if I've seen such-and-such on FB Marketplace. So it does seem that this is the way things are going. We just bought my wife's "new" family hauler ('99 Suburban K2500) off CL using autotempest- ended up finding it 1200 miles away and had it shipped. Good transaction. 

But, it took us about 4 or 5 months of active searching to find the "right" truck. 

I have 3 other vehicles I need to sell soon (one of which I just listed on CL yesterday) so perhaps i'll suck it up and create a non-anonymous but bare-bones FB account and give it a go. 

I'll miss CL, but I guess it's silly to be nostalgic about something like that. 

mke
mke Reader
4/13/19 9:13 a.m.

What is the % of people with FB accounts?  50%?  So a post there misses th other 1/2 right? 

I've never once had a google search bring me to a FB listing for anything in their marketplace....as long as that remains true FB can't replace things like CL.  I think its that simple.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/13/19 9:33 a.m.
mke said:

What is the % of people with FB accounts?  50%?  So a post there misses th other 1/2 right? 

I've never once had a google search bring me to a FB listing for anything in their marketplace....as long as that remains true FB can't replace things like CL.  I think its that simple.

I think what your are missing is this:

% of people with FB accounts > % of people that use CL

% of people searching for sale items on FB > % of people searching via google

So while it is valid that a smaller pool of people have access to FB market place, it doesn't really matter in the end.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
4/13/19 5:30 p.m.

No plethora of CL ads to pour over every night will kill my browsing pastime. 

But what is more expensive 5 bucks or giving all your personal information and your soul to Skynet?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
4/13/19 9:46 p.m.

I just opened a new FB account, but can't find Marketplace.  Mrs. VCH opened her FB and Marketplace comes right up, on the left side of the screen under "News Feed", "Messenger" and "Watch".  I just have those three things though.  ???

EDIT: did some digging - looks like they disable Marketplace for really new FB members.  But they don't say how long you have to be on FB until its enabled.  Terrific.  angry

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/13/19 10:02 p.m.

That's interesting. Not sure why though. Do you have any of your profile filled out? Maybe you need a location before it will show you the marketplace. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/13/19 10:28 p.m.

Honestly I like that Facebook market place keeps all the time wasting localized to my Facebook messenger. I don't have to give out my phone number or email. I haven't gotten any obvious scammers on Facebook, just either buyers or people asking me dumb questions and moving on.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/14/19 3:57 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

They are trying to keep scammers off of Marketplace.   Plenty of things can keep you off of it.   My FB language was set to "Pirate" for over 10 years and they wouldn't allow access to Marketplace because I didn't speak English.  

But like everything on FB, it is a moving target, and the rules can change from day to day. 

mke
mke Reader
4/14/19 6:05 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

% of people searching for sale items on FB > % of people searching via google

I find that pretty hard to believe...."google" has become a verb.  Anytime you make something private you cut out a big chunk of the population.

Here's another fun fact:

"Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram attract more females. Picture sharing sites overall are very popular among women. Pinterest alone attracts three times as many female users than male. However, use of Pinterest by men has increased from 5% in 2012."

So though the total % is high the target market for most automotive items is not active on FB.  Doesn't mean they won't pop in to see whats for sale I suppose...but many don't have accounts.

Personally I only know 1 person who ever told me he found something on FB but too many to count for ebay and CL....that may be changing but as of right now, in my network the count is 1.  Someone else noted at this point its probably worth double posting but just posting to FB cuts out a big chunk of buyers. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/14/19 8:41 a.m.

I don't see how $5 is all of a sudden going to completely change the paradigm of craigslist use.  $5 is a pittance, it's enough to hopefully get rid of the scammers and make it better for the rest of us.

I'll still list my cars on it.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 6:31 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I just opened up market place and I'll swallow my pride and admit most of my comments are no longer valid.  Its pretty decent now.  Certainly on par with CL, and far easier to comprehend than the rest of FB.  Not happy about needing a separate messaging app to deal with it, but whatever.

Question:  How do you get the URL of an ad to send to a friend?  I found a set of wheels that may work for our rallyx car, but I can't figure out how to link to them.

I think there's a button to "share" it if your friend is on FB. You can send it directly to his page or messenger. If he's not on FB, Dont' think he can see it. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 6:34 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to irish44j :

I've been reading your posts here with some interest. I have had a couple of FB accounts under psudynyms back when that was not as actively policed, and the last one got shut down over 2 years ago now. I've been FB free since then. I think my blood pressure's dropped like 20 points. I never realized that all my friends had such terrible politics. ;-)

However, in the last few months I've been noticing more and mor emails and texts from friends asking me if I've seen such-and-such on FB Marketplace. So it does seem that this is the way things are going. We just bought my wife's "new" family hauler ('99 Suburban K2500) off CL using autotempest- ended up finding it 1200 miles away and had it shipped. Good transaction. 

But, it took us about 4 or 5 months of active searching to find the "right" truck. 

I have 3 other vehicles I need to sell soon (one of which I just listed on CL yesterday) so perhaps i'll suck it up and create a non-anonymous but bare-bones FB account and give it a go. 

I'll miss CL, but I guess it's silly to be nostalgic about something like that. 

I hear you, and I have the same politics issue. Most of my actual friends who post political stuff, I just "unfollow" them (but not unfriend) so as not to see that. My whole feed at this point is rally people posting rally stuff (and the occasional pic of someone's kids), which is funny since rally people are like 5% of my actual friends haha. 

They do police accounts, but I know people who have been under pseudonyms for years. To get around that just make it sound like a real name (not "Captain Snorklewacker" or something like that), and follow or like a few things (GRM magazine page, for instance), so it knows you're a real person and not a bot. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 6:35 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

That's interesting. Not sure why though. Do you have any of your profile filled out? Maybe you need a location before it will show you the marketplace. 

could be. Seems like a good way to weed out bots or people creating accounts just to sell stuff. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 6:39 p.m.
mke said:

Personally I only know 1 person who ever told me he found something on FB but too many to count for ebay and CL....that may be changing but as of right now, in my network the count is 1.  Someone else noted at this point its probably worth double posting but just posting to FB cuts out a big chunk of buyers. 

I mean, I bought four things recently on FB Marketplace (Porsche 944 washer reservoir, Acura Integra wheels for $60, Mini Cooper wheels for $100, and some e30 parts), and sold two things.(decade's worth of GRM mags, and 

Also sold my BMW M42 engine to someone in Texas via FB marketplace, sold a Thule roof rack, sold a bike, and other stuff. Zero spammers or scammers dealt with on any of those (though still dumb people, just like CL). 

So, now you know 2 people ;)

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/14/19 6:50 p.m.
irish44j said:
ProDarwin said:

I think there's a button to "share" it if your friend is on FB. You can send it directly to his page or messenger. If he's not on FB, Dont' think he can see it. 

There is a drop down menu when you click "Share"

Then you can click on "Copy Link"; this is how the FB links are shared here in the Classifieds.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 6:54 p.m.

ah cool, didn't realize the ads were public to non-fb members. That's useful. 

Also, what's the deal on that Comanche short-bed in the top right? ;)

j/k

The danger of FB screen captures......actually posting other things from your page on the internet lol. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/14/19 7:02 p.m.
mke said:

I originally never signed up for Facebook because Google and other search engines are not allowed to index their pages.  It's a walled off garden  That stuck me as kind of odd, in a "stay away" kind of way.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/14/19 7:03 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

It's $1300, rusty, 2wd, and "was very clean until"...

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
4/14/19 7:04 p.m.
irish44j said:

The danger of FB screen captures......actually posting other things from your page on the internet lol. 

Naw, I just didn't bother to crop it this time.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/14/19 7:18 p.m.
Cooter said:
irish44j said:

Naw, I just didn't bother to crop it this time.

yeah, figured. 

now I want to know what attacked that Comanche. Possibly a Unicorn? lol

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
4/15/19 8:43 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

I just opened a new FB account, but can't find Marketplace.  Mrs. VCH opened her FB and Marketplace comes right up, on the left side of the screen under "News Feed", "Messenger" and "Watch".  I just have those three things though.  ???

EDIT: did some digging - looks like they disable Marketplace for really new FB members.  But they don't say how long you have to be on FB until its enabled.  Terrific.  angry

I was getting skunked trying to find a car on CL, so I relented and opened a FB account back in January, just to try to get access to Marketplace -- NOPE!  Unless I installed the app on my phone, or got started finding some friends, I could not access the Marketplace.  

Deleted the account after 2 weeks and still no MP access.  You are the product, and unless you're willing to give up your personal info you're just out of luck.  

Most people assume you have FB or you just don't exist.  Luckily my wife has FB, so if something really compelling is going on I might hear about it.  I also have a group of real life friends that watch the MP and text me screenshots of cool cars. 

I ended up seeing the car I bought on eBay and calling the owner with an offer of "cash and I'll be there with a trailer tomorrow by 9am."  He ended the auction early.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
4/15/19 9:10 a.m.

I have done Craigslist, AutoTrader and FB Marketplace as a buyer and as a seller. For selling I tend to prefer AutoTrader, as you tend to get serious buyers and it gets it cross-listed in a number of other places. Granted, the cars I've sold are $5k and up, I might think twice about spending $30 to sell if the car was worth less. I can't imagine I would pony up the $5 to list on CL going forward, it was already kind of a hassle when it was free.

That being said, I did purchase a V6 Accord from a private owner on CL and it was a seamless transaction, so I am glad it exists and will continue to search it when in the market for something new.

I've used FB Marketplace as a buyer and seller, but have yet to pull the trigger on anything there. I will say I listed some barstools on there and it was the most miserable experience! I must have answered 3 dozen people's questions, with multiple saying they can be there TODAY! only to have them completely fall of the face of the earth. Just to sell a couple hundred dollars worth of barstools. The auto listings I've seen tend to be dealers listing vehicles and not openly disclosing that they are in fact dealers.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vLMpNz1ixkXBlwG1xjMYr4elpOhdOlkGFXov79P13lOy9PDCpun8DzA4gBrVV4IJ