captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
2/22/20 12:27 p.m.

the Chevy Captiva, the official vehicle of, I can't believe Enterprise is charging me $94 a day for the privilege of commanding this vessel. Brown wagons, cool, brown crossovers that are only out done in their craptasticness by the Dodge Journey, not so much. 

Trax! Now I won't lie, if the Trax were made available with a turbo 4 and manual transmission, I'd think they were awesome. with their short overhangs add some long travel suspension and you could make something special, but they don't so it's not. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/20 12:59 p.m.

Can Trax suspension pieces be added to a Chevy Sonic since they share the same chassis? 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
2/22/20 1:46 p.m.

Just in case you haven't noticed, your vehicle wants you to check your engine.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/22/20 2:00 p.m.

I love the concept of GM having a berkeleyload of Saturn Vues left over, so they just jammed Chevy badging on them, didn't change an inch of sheetmetal, and then booted them out the door and hoped nobody noticed that. Particularly wild in that they were selling next to Chevy Equinoxes, which were the same vehicle. Has a manufacturer ever sold the same exact vehicle under the same brand but under 2 different model names?

Also, Traxes do come with a turbo 4 cylinder already, the 1.4T. Now, I think they are related to the Sonic, which comes with a manual transmission, you could possible put a Cruze/Sonic manual transmission in, although you would have no provisions for a PTU to feed the rear differential.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
2/22/20 3:54 p.m.

Nice upgrade from the unofficial vehicle of the DMV, a new Altima with a large amount of body damage.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
2/22/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I did, it's still there. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/22/20 5:40 p.m.
NickD said:

I love the concept of GM having a berkeleyload of Saturn Vues left over, so they just jammed Chevy badging on them, didn't change an inch of sheetmetal, and then booted them out the door and hoped nobody noticed that. Particularly wild in that they were selling next to Chevy Equinoxes, which were the same vehicle. Has a manufacturer ever sold the same exact vehicle under the same brand but under 2 different model names?

The Vue/Captiva is shorter in wheelbase and length than the Equinox.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/22/20 6:44 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
NickD said:

The Vue/Captiva is shorter in wheelbase and length than the Equinox.

It is? Huh. Weird. I work at a GM dealer and I can't really tell the difference. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
2/23/20 11:03 a.m.

the View/Captiva is totally different than the Equinox.   I think they sold Captiva's overseas? Or was the Vue a rebadge for the US market?

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
2/23/20 11:12 a.m.

Good ole GM....

About a year ago, I rented a Chevy "Cruz" that was actually a Malibu.

Rog

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/23/20 1:58 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

the View/Captiva is totally different than the Equinox.   I think they sold Captiva's overseas? Or was the Vue a rebadge for the US market?

The Vue, Captiva Sport, and Equinox all have the same VIN digit for the chassis code (L, if anyone is wondering). When you use a GM scan tool, after you pick the year, brand and chassis code it asks you to differentiate between the Captiva and Equinox presumably because the Captiva was 2.4L only, while the Equinox could be 2.4L or 3.0/3.6L. They all ride on the Theta chassis, just the Vue had a 6' shorter wheelbase, and by extension so did the Captiva Sport.

Note, the Captiva Sport is not to.be confused with the Captiva. The Captiva was a Korean-market CUV, the Captiva Sport was a rebadged Vue for the US market

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/23/20 2:11 p.m.
NickD said:

Given how generic, bland, boring, middling, and average most Chevy SUV blobs are, it's fair to say that almost nobody did notice. laugh

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
2/23/20 3:06 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I know a guy that bought a Captiva Sport after his Vue was totaled. He didn't notice they were the same car.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/23/20 4:20 p.m.

I think this might be the most ink a Chevy Captiva Sport has ever received

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
2/23/20 6:44 p.m.

I seem to recall reading that the re-badged Vues (Chevy Captivas) were only sold as (rental?) fleet vehicles. This looks to be confirmed here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Antara

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qjOlcdFGceFFB0jp7KHFfiKpmzk4vHY6AHaWWYndNuDarzzdqpi9oSrFrQL3qU5h