1 2 3
Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/5/15 9:25 p.m.

Go ahead guys, share em. We wanna hear your funny/crazy/cool/stupid car buying stories (this kinda goes with that other thread but not quite.)

I'll start: a buddy and I go to look at an '85 ford ranger that's not running, my buddy pops the hood for maybe 30 seconds then shuts it, the guy wants 200$, my buddy says 150$. I look at my buddy and give him the "lets go..." Look. The guy accepts, signs the title. My buddy says "thanks we got it from here" he looks at me with large round eyes that I know are hiding a HUGE smile. Seller goes into the house, buddy throws me his keys and says "see Ya back home"

He then pops the hood, connects the coil wire that was hanging down, jumps in and starts the truck. As he drives past me he says "we need to leave, NOW!" The seller comes out waiving his arms and is thorough red in the face, we peeled outta there so dang quick!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/5/15 9:36 p.m.

Buddy buys a 1973 K5 3/4 ton rusty pickup in 1979. Rusty fenders and the doors have sheet metal riveted to the bottom and berkeley is carved into the paint. The owner is a school teacher and states if buddy doesn't buy it they might go ahead and fix up the body and keep it which prompts my buddy to pay the full $1500 asking price. Clutch blows out the next day.

Three months later he buys some mint almost new replacement doors for $500 and has them in the back as we head home in the rain and his truck dies. Dad stops by later to help us get it started and gives us a verbal about spending money on flash when his spark plug wires were old and absorbing moisture. I learned a lesson that day.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/5/15 9:44 p.m.

Once a guy told me he would give me $1700 or $1800 for my Pontiac and I quickly jumped at it and said I'll take the $1800. The guy then realized he said it in s stupid way. Who offers 2 prices?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/5/15 9:46 p.m.

Second story- 2008. Wife has a 2001 Jetta vr6. Has massive problems, I take the car to a shop and ask them to clear the code, I then drive 2 miles down the road to the Honda dealership, and begin the long, overly drawn out haggling process. We strike a deal on a black or blue Honda fit. Alas, they don't have one on the lot, so they'll ship one over from the valley, a couple days max. In the meantime we get to drive the loan-a-civic. One week later after much stress and angry phone calls they call me and tell me it'll be a month to get one of those colors and we have to bring the loaner back (which means me and wifey with no car!)

So I tell them we made a deal and I demand my car now! Sales jerk says "give me a moment" calls back, "ok we got you a car." I drive to the dealership with my wife. As we pull up I notice a bright red Honda fit. My wife yells "that better not be ours!"

Sure enough, we drove to the stealership for nothing. The sales turd starts giving me the "I'm sorry man, there's nothing I can do, I thought I could get you that color, I was wrong, what can I do for you?"

I walk to the loaner car and my wife says "I guess red isn't bad..." I tell her "no, wait! I want you to pretend to be seriously pissed and throw your hands up and point your finger harshly!" She does. I walk back in to the dealer and the sales tard says "she ain't happy, huh?" I tell him he's gonna need to get us a ton of free swag.

The dude literally raids the parts cabinets and swag dept. and comes back with several Honda f1 hats, two HPD jackets and even gives me the pullover off his own body.

I say one more thing- I want free oil changes for a year and a "I <3 my Honda" sticker. He says ok and pulls the only sticker left (possibly in the world) from the front door of the dealership.

I return to the loaner with an armful of swag. Wife is happy (funny how clothes solve lady problems) and sales jerk is satisfied.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
1/5/15 9:52 p.m.

Bought a 1991 Volkswagen Jetta GLi 16v out of a transmission shop parking lot with a supposedly broken trans for cheap-$400 IIRC. Opened the hood and could see the drive axle fell off the flange. Looked at the "transmission shop" manager and told him he should go to lunch. Bought it; bolted the axle in and drove it home. I called owner and explained what happened. I sign a sworn statement of some sort; and he sued the trans shop. Sent me $100 after winning over $4k in court for his car.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/5/15 9:55 p.m.

In reply to vdubinsd:

That's seems a little harsh... 4k...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/5/15 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Perhaps this was years ago when the car blue booked for that much?

Do stories of procuring parts count here? I've got a couple of those, oddly enough all involving transmissions.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/5/15 10:22 p.m.

Nothing as crazy as these but I did manage to buy my first performance car for 800 bucks after the dealer that purchased it from the estate sell couldn't make it start. 79 capri rs with a crate 302 300hp, reman c4 and a fresh 4.10 geared 8.8. the guy that was building it used a black battery cable for positive and red for negative. the dealers mechanics just fried the selinoid. we fixed it in the lot and my dad drove it home for me.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/5/15 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Oh they count. They count big time. Please Kenny, tell us tales of trannies... Lol

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/5/15 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Your 'buddy' sounds c-l-ASSy.

My craziest story involves a reasonably priced car, an accurate description, and terms that were agreeably fair to both the buyer and seller...As far as I can tell from the internet, that might just be the rarest transaction type of them all.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
1/5/15 11:35 p.m.

I've got a few. It seems like I usually get a good story when I buy a car, I'll share the most interesting.

Back in '99, my wife's co worker asked me to help me find her a car. She wanted an Eclipse, and she knew that I knew a lot about them. I happened to spot one at a used car dealer, and stopped to check it out. It was a very nice '96 GSX. It had 40k miles, a lot of very tasteful mods (16G turbo, intake and exhaust, suspension, rims, and more). The car was in like new shape, very well cared for. And the asking price was thousands below blue book. I took it for a test drive, and the car was healthy to say the least. I drove it to my Wife's work to show her co worker. My wife literally pushed her out of the way and demanded the keys. After she drove it, she instructed me to "buy this car before I get off work." Who was I to argue? I ended up paying 13k. I kept the car for about 7 years, and it was one of the most reliable cars I've owned.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
1/6/15 12:01 a.m.

In 2000, A friend told me that he saw a Galant VR4 that had been sitting in a grocery store parking lot. As I pull into the lot, I see it being towed away, with the rear wheels on the ground. I warn the driver and he ignores me- only to lock the wheels up shortly often leaving the lot. I took down tow company info incase I could find the owner. I checked the forums without luck. I followed up with the tow company, and they said to check back after the lien period. I followed up for weeks before they gave in and asked me for an offer. I offed $750 and they accepted. The car was bone stock in excellent shape. Someone had forgotten to put the transmission mount bolts back in, resulting in a broken bell housing. The owner gave up. I still have it. Here's a pic of it shortly after I got it. It came on stock wheels...

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
1/6/15 12:24 a.m.

In '06, I was managing an Autozone. A lady came in, and asked for a battery for a Miata. I mentioned that I liked Miata's, and would love to pick one up some day. She said she was selling hers. She had bought a new car, and the Miata was sitting. She told me she was asking 2k for it. She gave me the address so that I could look at it after work, but mentioned she wouldn't be home. I went by, expecting to find a ratty worn out car. It turned out to be a nice '95 M. I told her that I'd be back the next day with my wife to take a good look at it. The next day was my wedding anniversary, and I had to convince my wife to drive 40 miles to look at a car that I didn't need. The car turned out to be better than expected. The seller had bought a new M3. She had the Miata since '95, and wanted to keep it, but didn't have the room. She mentioned that she had just put it on Craigslist, and was already getting multiple offers for more than her 2k asking price, site unseen. My wife said it would be my anniversary present, and offered $2500. The seller knew she could get much more, but wanted it to go to a good home. I still have it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
1/6/15 12:36 a.m.

About 8 years ago I was at the auction and there was a nice 1996 328 Sedan with the sport package and a 5-speed parked in the "inop lane". I look it over and it seemed to be well cared for. The paint was nice, it had Michelin tires and the interior was nice. Only thing I could find missing or out of place was no shift knob. A large credit union was selling it and "No Reverse" was written across the windshield. I sat down, started it and put it in reverse which worked fine. I quickly turned it off and waited for it to run through.

I guess the "lack of reverse" scared off all of the other bidders who had visions of a tranny rebuild dancing through their head. I bought it for $800.00 and ordered a replacement knob from the local dealer before picking it up three days later.

I drove it for almost two years before selling it for $4200, when I bought an E30. Apparently whomever did the inspection prior to sending it to the auction didn't realize reverse on a BMW is not below 5th gear.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/6/15 2:25 a.m.

Both of mine involve cars I still own,and members of this board. The first one was my mx6 gt. I get a text one day from swanky, I think he was still celica at the time. Tells me theres an mx6 I should go look at. Its in some place called Woodbury. Is Woodbury close? Woodbury is 10min from me. So I look up the ad, and its a running and driving turbo car for 400$. Says the coolant system needs a bleed, and the body is rough. 400$ takes it. I called a friend of mine and told him to come pick me up. Looked at the wife and said, I'll be back later, IMA go buy a car. Get out there, and the guy just laughs. We rolled in in a miata with a track bar and race seats and harnesses and E36 M3. He said he had a feeling we were right. Car is as described. Runs well. Pulls hard for the age. Apparently hes the second owner, the first one was a Mazda mechanic. 400$ changes hands, I bought another car.

The other one.... Well most of you figured out how I got that green corolla.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
1/6/15 6:44 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: In reply to vdubinsd: That's seems a little harsh... 4k...

Not sure what the car booked for, all I know is that I sold it for mid $3k (was nice) after minor cleaning, and the PO was out of a car for a couple weeks before it was even "diagnosed"; same shop had recently replaced both the axles 3 weeks before it broke.

Feel bad for chain transmission shop (double A-beep beep) that cannot recognize a disconnected axle? Not here....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/6/15 7:12 a.m.

My first car (in let's see...1992?) was an '82 Corolla sedan auto. We bought it with 230k miles on it from a drunk guy at a frightening, weekly-rent motel on the edge of town (insert "down by the river" joke here.) He was so tanked he could barely sign his name on the tag receipt. Paid $600. It was horribly dirty, a little rusty, the manual steering was ridiculously stiff, and the trunk was full of trash that was starting to mold from the trunk leaks and ...lots of pecans for some reason.

After two weeks with a scrub brush and some 409 it was a decent looking little car under the all the grime. Even had chrome wheels. And the really hard steering? Fixed by installing a $5 power steering belt. I drove that car all through high school and into college. As long as I owned that car, no matter how well I cleaned it out, every so often I would find a loose pecan rolling around in the trunk.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 8:38 a.m.

Let's see. Parents got whacked by F&I (how to turn a $23k car into a $30k car)

Got a bushel of apples and a rosemary plant thrown in when I bought my cutlass.

Backed out of a deal because the guy really wanted me to inspect the car in the dark.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/6/15 9:26 a.m.

Bought a 1971 Spitfire with a 'bad clutch' for $200. Put four swing axle flange bolts in that I scrounged out of my junk box, car drove fine. Sold it quick for $1k a week later, could have gotten more but needed the $ for another project.

My brother and my dad went to look at a 1972 Mercury Capri for $150, this was about 1978 or so. Car started and drove but ran like crap, heard a loud hissing noise. They stopped about a block away, found that the PCV hose had blown off the valve. Went back, paid the girl $150 and got the title, then drove a block away and reinstalled the hose. The car ran perfectly! My brother drove that car for about 2 1/2 years till he hit a washout (yes alcohol was involved ) and 'endoed' the thing, smashing it flat. He crawled out of the upside down car with only a few scratches, staggered home and the next morning reported the car stolen.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/6/15 9:33 a.m.

73 VW squareback, no start, FI system not firing. Was sitting at a shop which couldn't figure it out either even after putting in a $$ new "computer" so they put me in touch with the owner who sold me the car for $200 (otherwise clean beautiful car)

Popped the distributor cap, removed the top set of points for the ignition and cleaned the bottom set of points which triggered the injectors. Fired it up and drove it home.

While delivering a car to VA for a friend the trailer I was using towed terribly empty so I sought out a cheap "ballast" car to bring home. Found a Fiat 850, no start, for $300, I was getting paid $400 for delivery. Friend who knew Fiats better than I came along, after we did the deed with the seller he left and I was getting ready to winch the car up when my buddy hopped in, reached around the side of the seat and did something then fired it right up and drove it on the trailer. Looks like that's where they put the choke knob on those cars ;) His brother gave me $600 before it came off the trailer.

slefain
slefain UberDork
1/6/15 9:53 a.m.

Went to buy a S10 parts truck to fix my wrecked Blazer. Truck was advertised as $400, which wasn't a bad price since the sheetmetal was all good. Dad and I meet the owner in his driveway and we begin looking over the truck. Before anyone could say a price the guy's wife steps onto the porch and yells "GET THAT DAMN PIECE OF E36 M3 OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY NOW!!!".

Dad smiles and offers $200. The guy accepts and slinks back into the house to get the title.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 10:01 a.m.
slefain wrote: Went to buy a S10 parts truck to fix my wrecked Blazer. Truck was advertised as $400, which wasn't a bad price since the sheetmetal was all good. Dad and I meet the owner in his driveway and we begin looking over the truck. Before anyone could say a price the guy's wife steps onto the porch and yells "GET THAT DAMN PIECE OF E36 M3 OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY NOW!!!". Dad smiles and offers $200. The guy accepts and slinks back into the house to get the title.

This E36 M3 is legendary. Thanks for sharing!

sporqster
sporqster Reader
1/6/15 10:07 a.m.

Sold a pimped out '92 Honda Civic on eBay, winning bidder was deadbeat, no immediate response from the second bidder for a 'second chance offer' but just when I am about to relist it the second bidder emails me 'I want the car, but I'm currently in Iceland, out of country, but I would like to buy it'. Positive this was somehow going to be a scam, but he did make a paypal deposit that cashed. Arranged to meet about a week later when he would be 'flying in to buy the car' Still waiting for the part where this is somehow a scam, but this 6'4" long blonde haired tattooed guy with crazy blue eyes and a wicked accent shows up at my door with a stack of seemingly not-counterfeit $100 bills, and drove away happy. And the bank deposited the money without question. Weird. Makes me wonder if I messed up on that deal with the Nigerian prince who needed a place to temporarily deposit his fortune.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/6/15 10:31 a.m.

Similar to a couple above me:

I went to Ottawa to look at a 2003 VW Golf. Low mileage, just a touch of rust on one door. Guy wanted $3K. My brother had checked it out for me, so I knew everything that was wrong with it. I said $2K cash, in the truck and I will load it and be gone in 20 minutes.

Guy says, "I have to check with my wife, it is actually her car." He heads for the door and she opens it and says, "What???". He tells her $2K, she says (loud enough for me to hear), "I don't care. I just want it gone!!!".

As I count out the $2K to him, he tells me that they turned down $2500 about 3 months ago.

I put $300 in parts on it and it is my current DD.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/6/15 10:37 a.m.

Not a buying story but a selling story. I had a 1979 WS6 T/A with a blown motor. Solid body and rust free, but the interior was gutted. Listed it in the muscle car trader for $1200.

A couple guys showed up with a trailer and at that moment I decided I was getting out of F-body's. I tell them they can have the car and all my spares that I have been squirreling away for 1200. They said they didn't want the parts. I helped them load the car. And as they were sitting in the driveway, I'm sneaking parts into the back of their truck. Two or three shaker scoops, a couple instrument clusters, shifter assemblies, three steering wheels and some various other stuff got tossed in as they were pulling out of they drive. The only thing I had left was a hood and a trunk spoiler.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kgXhpvLdkiZdpkw0n5fqKOngcLHvFAasUE9zVyEupEv67J7FEai9S7jrvl2n1Udx