1 2
Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/24/12 3:41 p.m.

Not affiliated, but.... interesting concept- I've been looking for the lowest profile, but this may be the right answer. Shouldn't be that difficult to fab one up myself. Price is steep, but idea is actually spot on. Certainly won't prevent all injury, but could prevent death.

http://creepex.com/Cr/Home.html

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/24/12 3:47 p.m.

I like. That's something I could actually justify spending that much change on.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltraDork
3/24/12 3:47 p.m.

It's got lights, that's cool. Other than that, I've never worried about a vehicle falling on me, but that's because I make sure it's properly supported by jack stands. If it were $200 I might think about it, but I'd rather have creeper hover-board

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/24/12 4:19 p.m.

We developed something like that back in '91 when I worked for Matco. We field tested it and nobody liked it. Times change, I guess.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
3/24/12 4:19 p.m.

Another "Dang, I didn't think of that" product. I like the handholds on it.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/24/12 4:34 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: We developed something like that back in '91 when I worked for Matco. We field tested it and nobody liked it. Times change, I guess.

That's because we've entered the wuss generation, where everything is dangerous to everyone.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/24/12 4:36 p.m.

Real professional video

"waiting for E36 M3 to happen"

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/24/12 4:37 p.m.

Did I mention that I dropped a car on my chest last weekend? It was even supported on 4 jack stands, one at each corner. I climbed underneath about the middle and the thing shifted off the jack stands and dropped down on top of me. I thought... Well, berkeley. This sucks. Fortunately, it was a Europa body on frame, and the whole thing only weighs < 250 lbs, so there was only about 20 lbs for me to push back up and climb out from under. Does make you think, though.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/24/12 4:37 p.m.

that said, it is pretty cool. IDK how much protection it would really give, unless the car falls on one of the raised section rather than the entire exposed torso....but I like the lights :)

if safety was the #1 priority, it would have a "roll bar" that goes over the lower torso, perhaps, maybe that would swing up to let the user enter/exit.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/24/12 4:38 p.m.

Had a 626 pin me, it is good idea, just not a professional video

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/24/12 4:39 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Did I mention that I dropped a car on my chest last weekend? It was even supported on 4 jack stands, one at each corner. I climbed underneath about the middle and the thing shifted off the jack stands and dropped down on top of me. I thought... Well, berkeley. This sucks. Fortunately, it was a Europa body on frame, and the whole thing only weighs < 250 lbs, so there was only about 20 lbs for me to push back up and climb out from under. Does make you think, though.

yikes....how did it shift? Of course, if it's that light pretty much anything you're doing on it could cause it to shift. I would think that's less likely on a full-weight car.

When I'm on stands, I leave the floor jack just below the crossmember anyhow, just in case....

DrBoost
DrBoost UltraDork
3/24/12 4:59 p.m.

i usually leave the floor jack taking just a bit of weight as well. And before I go under a car, I give it a shake that registers on the rictor scale. I want the hover creeper because it's waaay cool.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
3/24/12 5:31 p.m.

I've been the guy that had to pull a car off of my buddy once, and I've had several others fall as I was working on them. The thing I've learned is that I don't trust a car that I didn't put on stands myself. I've never had a car fall or shift if I was the one that put it up.

The creeper with a cage concept isn't new to me, either. One of my friends from school built one years ago. The two of us were the only ones to use it, everyone else said it was too bulky to work with.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
3/24/12 5:39 p.m.

I'd never use it. If it's my time, it's my time.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/24/12 6:14 p.m.

I have no idea how it shifted. Stands on all 4 corners, roughly at the suspension points. I went under the car at about the back of the seat and just as I got in position (welding a bracket), the whole thing came down on me. I figure I must have bumped it and shifted the jack stands. I kinda like the idea of the floor jack near where you're working. I may do that, especially after I put more weight on the chassis. As it was, I could just arch my back and push the weight up, then push and work my way out. No creeper, on a run on the plywood.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/25/12 12:27 a.m.

I like it.. not only for the safety aspect.. but the lights are very nice and look at the size of the wheels. That will roll over anything on the floor

EvanB
EvanB UltraDork
3/25/12 12:41 a.m.

For that price I would rather save the money and get a lift.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/25/12 2:36 a.m.
EvanB wrote: For that price I would rather save the money and get a lift.

you mean like one of these?

4eyes
4eyes Dork
3/25/12 3:38 a.m.

So I guess the old flattened cardboard box that I use is out of date?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
3/25/12 6:37 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:

As much as post lifts make me nervous, that looks like operator error.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/25/12 6:58 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
As much as post lifts make me nervous, that looks like operator error.

how is that? the post to the left in the pic is on the floor.. the post on the other side is 4 feet off the ground..

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
3/25/12 8:30 a.m.

Creepex looks like a great design.

What's the over/under for a Harbor Freight knock-off?

Lemme start: 12 months.

Rog

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
3/25/12 9:38 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Times change, I guess.

Not really. I still don't like it.

I have enough problems with being able to maneuver around under the car and reach tools. Adding a roll cage to the creeper is as intrusive as using 50 jack stands and makes it too heavy to throw across the room in a fit of rage when it gets stuck and won't roll over a tiny bump on the floor.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
3/25/12 9:55 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: As much as post lifts make me nervous, that looks like operator error.

That picture has been making the rounds of all the car boards in the last week or so, the story is something in the lift broke.

psteav
psteav HalfDork
3/25/12 10:52 a.m.

At $649, no freaking way. Some good ideas, though...built in lights and big wheels (can't stand when the creeper won't roll over a pebble), as well as the "cage".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQLhWLnlwZODB9HEBqHYi9hf2EsIDZf8ignM8jlbF5iIPYOgqpHGQgu1osa868zz