1 2
Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Reader
9/1/15 9:25 a.m.

Brakes dragging, ABS and traction control went weird, various electrical problems. All eventually traced to a waterlogged brake booster. Made it home using a bungee cord.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/1/15 10:04 a.m.
eebasist wrote: In the future, you might want to go to the AZ DMV online. They have a 3 day tag you can fill out online for less than 10 bucks. You don't have to be an AZ resident. Likely a grey area but more legit than another plate. https://servicearizona.com/webapp/permit3/permitInfo.do Who can use ServiceArizona to obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit? Any customer with the following valid purpose: •Emissions Testing •Vehicle Inspection •Application for Title and/or Registration •Vehicle repair to comply with Emissions or Inspection

You got me excited...

The first box when you go to make one is

I certify that I have read and understand that the Restricted Use 3-Day Permit is valid within Arizona only and misuse of this permit is a violation of Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 28, Chapter 7, Article 16, subject to civil and/or criminal penalties.

I didn't go any further, but I suspect it is like VA in that you also need to provide a valid driver's license from AZ in order to purchase.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
9/1/15 5:57 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin: I bought a car from a somewhat shady used car dealer in New York once and the guy did this. Got pulled over for speeding once and the officer didn't blink an eye

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
8/18/16 5:34 p.m.

Just an update for those considering a 996. After nearly a year of ownership, I can say that I still love the car. I've put about 3500 miles on it, with my old Accord still the primary commuter on rainy, snowy, or lazy days when I don't feel like moving the minivan parked in front of the garage.

I replaced the brake servo (~$120) and that fixed the problems I mentioned last year. Then the cruise control got buggy again and a $10 brake stop switch fixed it.

I'm going to keep the car stock, but I have added a few things. I got a center radiator and when I remove the bumper cover to clean the left and right ones, I'll flush the coolant and install the center.

I also have an underdrive crank pulley to install. The engine bay is cramped, but at least the engine is facing the right way, unlike the Boxster. Here the stock crank pulley and airbox are removed:

I bought a $65 eBay short shifter and didn't like it:

Unfortunately, both the factory and short shifter shift lever are rectangular. I wanted a 917-style shift knob and the aftermarket ones don't look that great. So, I bought some maple and walnut and brass to make the knob. Then I reinstalled the stock shifter and replaced the lever with some round stainless I turned and threaded on my lathe. I cut the stock shift knob off the and trimmed the circumcised boot with a bit of turned aluminum. I like the results:

And finally, I have replaced the Accord license plate with a legit plate:

I also did the Fister mod to the mufflers; very pleasing results. I have another set that I'm gutting to see what that sounds like. And I got a Durametric and Sprint Booster and some 996.2 facelift parts. So, a year in and I've spent a few hundred on necessary parts and a few thousand on unnecessary things. The car is still a joy to drive and still provides a rush of adrenaline.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QTW4FA9fS2XcgCnKaKiW3t6SBSXFX4WloeFrLynnynjKAsPZLUGIektg4Y3zU0CP